FPV setup interfering with RC

Reaction score
I am new to the drone world and like many others have my own trials and tribulations. Recently bought an FPV setup and applied it to my Phantom 1.1.1. It is an LT 200 200 mw 5.8GHz audio/video 32 channel 5 volt output transmitter with 700TLV FPV camera. Cables came with the kit. I mounted the transmitter under the drone below the blinking indicator light on the phantom and mounted the camera on the camera mount. Using Boscam monitor/receiver. Power to the transmitter is from the balance port on the Phantom 11.1 v battery. So easy set up, checked the set up before attaching it to the drone worked perfectly clear picture(channel E3 was the most clear).

So I attach it and rigged it, go outside with props off and turn it all on. Picture great but the phantom starts blinking yellow light. Based on my reading means no connection between the phantom and RC. Changed the batteries to the RC(no indicator of low battery) no change. Still blinking yellow. I had flown the phantom before making these changes over 30 times without a problem.

I read and look and wonder if the phantom’s antennae are getting interference from the transmitter even though they are supposed to be on different wavelengths and move the transmitter away from the compass and two antennae. This does allow me to cycle the drone so I get GPS lock and can fly. It looks like that was the problem! So I put the props on and go for a fly in a big open field. Starts up, run through the sat lock, camera and receiver are doing well. Get about 50 feet from the RC and it looses signal and goes into return home mode. Comes closer, I get control back by flipping ATTI switch and try again with the same outcome. By the way the FPV setup worked great. After many flights before the modification I never had any problems like this. I did disconnect the FPV rig and everything works normally.

My setup is identical to several I copied on YouTube, placing the transmitter in the exact spot that was shown on the videos and I don’t know why this is such a big deal? The video transmitter's circuit board is unshielded like many I have seen online with the antennae pointed down. I am no expert at all in RC drones but have tried to read all I could find. Sorry I have no pictures, could not figure out how to upload them. Do any of you have suggestions? I am so close but there is something I’m not getting.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: JKDSensei
Look on the back of your rc radio ,make sure you don't have the 5.8 ghz flight radio. Mine is a 5.8 so I use a 2.4 ghz radio. Your fpv and rc cannot be the same frequency .

Look on the back of your rc radio ,make sure you don't have the 5.8 ghz flight radio. Mine is a 5.8 so I use a 2.4 ghz radio. Your fpv and rc cannot be the same frequency .
Nailed it! It is a 5.8. I thought they were all 2.4 which is why we can't use the GoPro WiFi. Guess I need to find a 2.4 transmitter? Why is there so much variability in their products? Thank you for your help. Any other suggestions?

What do you use as a monitor? For the 5.8 ghz rig I had a Boscam all in one monitor/reciever with rechargable battery. Haven't seen one for the 2.4ghz transmitters. Any help appreciated. Now finding out that the Phantom 1.1.1 was shipped with either the 2.4 or the 5.8 controller.

Thanks

Bart

Scroll,
Where and how did you mount the camera?
When you flight test it can you post back some details on how it went - quality and range wise?

I mounted the camera with velcro on the camera mount next to my GoPro. I will try to get some pictures. Real easy. I have this Boscam monitor/reciever does anyone know if using the monitor(which would mean the receiver is on) would effect the controller both 5.8 ghz? I guess I have some experiments to run. Hate to waste the monitor/receiver it is really nice. Tallyrver where did you get that mount it is simple and looks perfect? Thanks for the help.

Just curious....how will you use the 5.8 monitor if you can't transmit on 5.8 due to interference with your Phantom controller/transmitter?

I guess I'm wondering why you would even turn it on?

I'm not a radio expert, but I don't see how a true receiver (transmits nothing) can cause interference with any other device.

Maybe an expert will chime in.

Just curious....how will you use the 5.8 monitor if you can't transmit on 5.8 due to interference with your Phantom controller/transmitter?

I guess I'm wondering why you would even turn it on?

I'm not a radio expert, but I don't see how a true receiver (transmits nothing) can cause interference with any other device.

Maybe an expert will chime in.

It has cables that you can hook up as a monitor rather than necessarily a receiver. I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to. You're right I can't use it because it's 5.8 GHz.

To my knowledge there's no way to turn the monitor on without automatically turning on the receiver function as well.

I agree with you I can't see that the device with only a receiver function would cause problems with anything.

Can I ask where you got your 1.1.1 ?
This is first time I seen a 1.1.1 come in 5.8 I know someone at one time say that very few came in 5.8 first for me .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues