FPV Setup Help

Reaction score
I am doing a bit of research to go FPV and am thinking about this Fat Shark TX, but am not sure what all I would need. I am thinking:

Fatshark 250mW 5.8 GHz Transmitter V2
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... cts_id=485

GoPro Connection Cable
http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?main ... ts_id=1084

Instead of going with goggles, I am going to look for a small ( 5" ) portable 5.8Ghz monitor.

I still need a power source for the TX - can I plug it into the onboard Phantom battery, or do I need/want a separate battery?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Those should work together, but if you're not going to be using goggles, you don't necessarily have to pay for the Fatshark brand name...there's plenty of other transmitter options available.

Without the goggles, you'll need to either buy a receiver for your monitor, or a monitor with the receiver built in.

The transmitter can be connected to the Phantom's power supply, though a little soldering will probably be required. Using a separate battery really isn't worth it on the Phantom due to the weight it would add. FPV setups like this don't usually drain enough from the main flight battery to significantly affect flight times.

Just went through all this. 1st I bought the goggles and didn't like them I went with the monitor. I like being able to look and also see it visually. You can power the transmitter from the phantom o extra battery needed. I recommend going with a seperate camera . I tried the gopro first and did not like it. The gopro also froze up a few times for no reason. The camera that came with the Predator 2 works great. If you go with a monitor obviously you will need to supply power for it and purchase a receiver for it. I went with a lilliput with a built in 5.8 fatshark compatable receiver. Listed below are the Monitor and battery setup I bought. Im sure you can go cheaper but this seemed to be the easiest way to set this up. Go Luck hope this helps.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AY ... UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F2O ... UTF8&psc=1

OI Photography said:
The transmitter can be connected to the Phantom's power supply, though a little soldering will probably be required.

I ideally would like to avoid any soldering. Are there any "plug and play" options?

The Phantom has a grey and white wire for power. You will have to pull it out from the white plug at the landing gear it is located I believe at the right front plug. still going to have to solder. But if you are going to be in RC there is going to be alot of soldering give it a shot.

Bunger said:
OI Photography said:
The transmitter can be connected to the Phantom's power supply, though a little soldering will probably be required.

I ideally would like to avoid any soldering. Are there any "plug and play" options?

Well, you could get around it with these two items, but the XT60 tap (the yellow one) is kinda bulky, and you'd still have to feed wires from inside the body to the outside. You'd avoid soldering, but would have to do at least some body modification:

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=1761
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... cts_id=697

Dtacmed is right, this is the perfect opportunity to learn some basic soldering skills. You could pick up the basics in a couple of hours at most, and the equipment you need can be had for less that $30. Opens up a whole new world of possibilities for RC and many other things ;) Splicing wires like that is one of the simplest soldering jobs, I taught my daughter to do it when she was 11.

I have now honed a bit of my new-found soldering skills installing a gimbal and am now circling back to the FPV project.

I like the fatshark or immersion transmitters, but would ideally like a 5"-7" monitor with the Rx integrated. The issue is that I am having a hard time finding one to match the channels of those Tx units without spending $250+. Ideally, I would like to pick up a compatible monitor for under $150.

Also, can I run both the gimbal and the Tx from the red and gray aux wire in the phantom? I have already soldered them, but would just redo it unless there is a better option.

OI Photography said:
Those should work together, but if you're not going to be using goggles, you don't necessarily have to pay for the Fatshark brand name...there's plenty of other transmitter options available.

Without the goggles, you'll need to either buy a receiver for your monitor, or a monitor with the receiver built in.

The transmitter can be connected to the Phantom's power supply, though a little soldering will probably be required. Using a separate battery really isn't worth it on the Phantom due to the weight it would add. FPV setups like this don't usually drain enough from the main flight battery to significantly affect flight times.

Can you not use the goggles as the receiver and plug it into a monitor with the A/V cable they give you? I have a FatShark setup and never used a monitor but was hoping that that was what the A/V outlet on the goggles was for when I decide to use one!

Bunger said:
Also, can I run both the gimbal and the Tx from the red and gray aux wire in the phantom? I have already soldered them, but would just redo it unless there is a better option.

Yep, that's exactly what I did, ran them both off that single lead. I just used a splitter cable instead of soldering them together.

I haven't seen any monitors with receivers built in for less than ~$180, but you can buy a 7" monitor and receiver separately for less than that, maybe lower than $150.

phantomflyer said:
Can you not use the goggles as the receiver and plug it into a monitor with the A/V cable they give you? I have a FatShark setup and never used a monitor but was hoping that that was what the A/V outlet on the goggles was for when I decide to use one!

Yeah, I was just saying without the goggles he'll need another kind of receiver to use a monitor.

OI Photography said:
Bunger said:
A]

Yeah, I was just saying without the goggles he'll need another kind of receiver to use a monitor.

I want to FPV for framing shots, but don't play to fly FPV... Which is why I would like a monitor and am not interested in goggles...

I bought one of the 7" monitors with the receiver built in and also bought a 200mw transmitter. They would not work together on any channel. I bought a second transmitter and receiver combo. both turned out to be defective. They barely worked at a 30 foot distance. I bought a 3rd transmitter (32 channel, 600Mw) and receiver combo. These worked well. I Also bought a pair of circular polarized antennas. The new transmitter would not work well with the receiver in the monitor.
I was not able to return some of the items that were defective.
A lot of this Chinese made FPV gear is junk. I would suggest buying locally from a vendor with good return policies, even if you have to pay a lot more.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav