FPV Quality Suddenly Horrible on P3A

Reaction score
I am not sure what to think about this. My P3A has always had pretty good FPV video quality and range. The last 2 flights I notice that the range is not quite as good for some reason and even when the bird is 50' away I get very pixelated, crappy FPV. I am not sure of I need to reset something or what. I know that my phone does the processing but it is a Note 5 so it should be able to handle it fine. This is the same phone, cable, etc. that gave good FPV a few days ago. Any ideas on what is going wrong or what to check? I have the HD set on Auto as I always have.

I am not sure what to think about this. My P3A has always had pretty good FPV video quality and range. The last 2 flights I notice that the range is not quite as good for some reason and even when the bird is 50' away I get very pixelated, crappy FPV. I am not sure of I need to reset something or what. I know that my phone does the processing but it is a Note 5 so it should be able to handle it fine. This is the same phone, cable, etc. that gave good FPV a few days ago. Any ideas on what is going wrong or what to check? I have the HD set on Auto as I always have.
FPV has been reported by several people, myself included, to look better if you have the GO app set to video (even if not recording) rather than set to photo. Some people even switch it back to video mode after taking still photos just to get the better FPV. Perhaps that?

Also, since you say range and also FPV are impacted, perhaps you are simply flying in an area with more noise than you were previously?

Of course there is always the classic - are your antenna oriented correctly?

Last edited:
FPV has been reported by several people, myself included, to look better if you have the GO app set to video (even if not recording) rather than set to photo. Some people even switch it back to video mode after taking still photos just to get the better FPV
+1. Even on my p3s, I always stay in video mode, unless taking a picture. Then I switch back.
Sounds like one of your internal antenna cables is loose... try carefully opening your RC if you are comfortable doing so, and check. A lot of Standards shipped with loose cables, or became loose over time. I'm sure this could happen on an Advance as well.

Reactions: DaveB68
I guess the loose cable is possible. I am flying in front of my house how I have many times. I did notice that the control and video strengths were way different a couple of times. I always fly in video mode by the way. I just thought of something else. Maybe I have a bad cable? Could that cause it? I would think the cable either works or doesn't but I can't test now since it is dark.

I guess the loose cable is possible. I am flying in front of my house how I have many times. I did notice that the control and video strengths were way different a couple of times. I always fly in video mode by the way. I just thought of something else. Maybe I have a bad cable? Could that cause it? I would think the cable either works or doesn't but I can't test now since it is dark.
Cable issues are common, yes.

I took the controller apart and the plugs for antennas are firmly snapped onto the board. I don't see how they would come off easily. I am not sure what to check next. One other thing, the Litchi app has a setting for hardware or software decoding of video signal, does the DJI app have anything like that buried somewhere that I have missed?

This is definitely a sign of either heavy signal interference or lose antenna connections possibly on P3 side.

You may have to open up VPS as antenna connections are located behind it.

What is VPS?

One other thing, the Litchi app has a setting for hardware or software decoding of video signal, does the DJI app have anything like that buried somewhere that I have missed?
Yes, the GO app does have an option to enable hardware decode. At least on the iOS version. In fact, I thought it was added originally due to an issue with random reboots on iOS devices a while back. I'm not sure, but I don't think the Android version of GO that you use has the same option.

Last edited:
Jon, I had the same issue last week, video was always stable and now I can't fly 50' above my house...thought it was my batteries as they started to discharge between flights, then tried full batteries and had the same issue. Can anyone share how to check the antennas in the P3A? Also, I just got my unit back after a new shell from motor mount cracks.

VPS = Vision Positioning module - looks like this:
vsp21.jpg

Reactions: Schnerds
Unplug/replug the connections and add a dab of hot glue to each.

Reactions: Schnerds

In the experiences I have had with this type of issue, I'd say the device you're using to run the app with is having trouble running X number of processes.

In the experiences I have had with this type of issue, I'd say the device you're using to run the app with is having trouble running X number of processes.
I am thinking that may be it. I just flew today in another location about the same distance as yesterday and my range appeared to be way better but still blocky video. I am thinking it may not be a loose antenna but a video processing thing. I have a Samsung Note 5 but maybe a lot of processes are running at once. I have heard that can be an issue with this phone.

Yes, the GO app does have an option to enable hardware decode. At least on the iOS version. In fact, I thought it was added originally due to an issue with random reboots on iOS devices a while back. I'm not sure, but I don't think the Android version of GO that you use has the same option.
Where is that option located in the iOS version? I will look in the Android version to see if it is there. I know my Litchi app has it. I am wondering how much better it would be if I had an older 300 A controller with the video processing done in the controller. is USB3.0 that big of a need for us?

Where is that option located in the iOS version? I will look in the Android version to see if it is there. I know my Litchi app has it. I am wondering how much better it would be if I had an older 300 A controller with the video processing done in the controller. is USB3.0 that big of a need for us?
It's on this screen (click to enlarge)

Enable HW decode.JPG

Yeah that is not in the Android version. I guess I may fly with Litchi and see if that helps. I am also going to try my old S4 and turning off other processes.

Yeah that is not in the Android version. I guess I may fly with Litchi and see if that helps. I am also going to try my old S4 and turning off other processes.
Sounds like a plan Mr. Quest. ;-)

I'm sure I speak for the others when I say to please keep us updated. We all want to see you back to normal.

I will do that. I appreciate the help I am getting here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic