FPV Preference: goggles or monitor?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've read most of the threads on FPV equipment and have settled on the Immersion 600mw/spironet combo - but, still undecided about the receive end. The Black Pearl sounds good at first but many seem to be reporting issues of short range with it, often regardless of which antenna is used. I haven't noticed similar complaints from those using (Fat Shark) goggles...

Among those who've used both, do you prefer goggles or a monitor?

Thanks,

John

Screen is the cheapest. I have the Boscam LCD5802. I don't have an issue with range... but for real FPV and extreme flying with a different Quad I'm buying some goggles.

If you want the immersive feel of real FPV nothing beats googles. For videography and picture taking I prefer the monitor for framing shots.

The reason you have all different ideas about different monitors and goggles regarding range with all different antennas... It's just that. It's basically all about the antenna on both the tx and rx end and what works for your application.

I have the Fatshark Spironet on my transmitter and the Boscam is a dual diversity rx so i have a fatshark Spironet and a Circular Polar Helical. On a clear good day all line of sight I went out about 2km and still had crystal clear reception. I am too chicken still to go further.

OH and when I get the extreme quad for some speed flying and stunts... well i'll put the circular polar helical on the Fatsharks to test out.

The antennas can get expensive!!!

d4ddyo said:
Screen is the cheapest. I have the Boscam LCD5802. I don't have an issue with range...

I have the Fatshark Spironet on my transmitter and the Boscam is a dual diversity rx so i have a fatshark Spironet and a Circular Polar Helical. On a clear good day all line of sight I went out about 2km and still had crystal clear reception.

OH and when I get the extreme quad for some speed flying and stunts... well i'll put the circular polar helical on the Fatsharks to test out.

Boscam monitor has lower resolution than Black Pearl doesnt it ?

I am in the process of buying a fpv kit, I believe I will go for Immersion and Black pearl but I was wondering if I should upgrade the antennas for 1km range? can you please provide me links of your antennas?

mr.goodkat said:
d4ddyo said:
Screen is the cheapest. I have the Boscam LCD5802. I don't have an issue with range...

I have the Fatshark Spironet on my transmitter and the Boscam is a dual diversity rx so i have a fatshark Spironet and a Circular Polar Helical. On a clear good day all line of sight I went out about 2km and still had crystal clear reception.

Boscam monitor has lower than Black Pearl doesnt it ?

I am in the process of buying a fpv kit, I believe I will go for Immersion and Black pearl but I was wondering if I should upgrade the antennas for 1km range? can you please provide me links of your antennas?

Without doubt you should upgrade the antennas.I use these:
http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... mrod-rhcp/

2trickpony said:
mr.goodkat said:
d4ddyo said:

Boscam monitor has lower than Black Pearl doesnt it ?

Without doubt you should upgrade the antennas.I use these:
http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... mrod-rhcp/

should I get 3 pieces; 2 for monitor and 1 for transmitter?
any alternatives in US?

d4ddyo said:
I almost bought the nimrods and the blackhawk micros. Heard they were awesome. The price is good too. but I live in the US so by the time i get them i would have paid way too much in shipping.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_49_97&products_id=1539

Make sure you get the right adapter for your transmitter/RX or make sure you have the adapters. RP-SMA or SMA

I assume this is only for Boscam not for black pearl, am I wrong?

Boscam's resolution 800x480 makes me think twice wherease I see Black pearl at 1024x600. I hear Black pearl has range issues so I was wondering If I overcome that with upgrading antenna

sorry my RC knowledge is very limited!

I just ordered the Boscam and chose it over the BP due to its greater brightness level. I believe this is more important with outdoor daytime flying than resolution would be.

JHTX61 said:
I just ordered the Boscam and chose it over the BP due to its greater brightness level. I believe this is more important with outdoor daytime flying than resolution would be.

thanks this is very useful!

does Boscam works with Immersion? or should I get their own transmitter?

I find the BP brightness okay in sunlight. There are 4 presets:- Bright, Standard, Soft and User. If you use User you can crank up the brightness and its fine. I think most users just switch to Bright and that is not bright enough.

I have ImmersionRC 600 TX, Black Pearl monitor and Fatshark Base goggles. The goggles plug right into the Black Pearl for both power and video. If I only had one, I'd likely pick the monitor. But the goggles are super fun for a totally immersive high precision FPV flying.

- LIONDOG

I just set up my POV last night, I am using a foxtech m500, but am probably going to upgrade to the new foxtech monitor with built in rechargeable battery and 5.8 receiver, it also have built in dvr',, hat being said right now I am using a AVL 58 from DJI, everything plugged into the DJI hub, NO SOLDERING, the foxtech m500 is a great little 5inch screen, defiantly bright enough, the sunshade that comes with it, helps in big ways, the only problem is the controller is a little heavy, but moving the monitor to a tripod will correct that, still working out the best way to either mount on the controller or on a tripod, over all very pleased with the set up.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr