FPV not available at all. Am I alone?

Reaction score
I've gotten my phantom last week and I've been unable to get any kind of FPV feed on the app. I've seen a lot of complaints about FPV stuttering or being of poor quality (in these forums and other places), but I'm not getting a single frame of FPV on the app. Black screen all around. All other functions of the app work as expected (gimbal control, photo, camera). I've tried a Galaxy Nexus (running 4.4.2 CyanogenMod), a New Nexus 7 running stock Android and an iPod touch running iOS 6. All three devices exhibit the exact same behaviour (black screen, the rest works as expected).

DJI gave me a bunch of things to try (mostly uninstall/reinstall the app). None of that worked. They said it was possible that a new app version was required. Could that really be it considering most of you guys seem to have completely different issues? What do you guys think?

BTW here's a link to a montage of my first two flights. For the curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypThNXg0iKg

I'm using an iPhone 5c iOS 7.

So far so good, however I have had two incidents where the FPV went blocky and then turned green. Both times force closing the app and relaunching I was able to get fpv back.

I am having the same problem. Really frustrating. Have tried everything I have found here on the forum. Even bound it to my p2v wifi extender to see if that would work. Nope.
Please repost if you get it solved. Do you mind posting the other ideas DJI had?
Will

Here is their email below. The last point is encouraging, but considering I've tried three different devices, I'm still a bit concerned that the unit might be faulty in retransmitting the FPV. Still, it's encouraging to know I'm not alone :)
----
Thank you for your email. Please try the following troubleshooting steps:

* Ensure you are operating your mobile device in airplane mode with all data off ( wifi on)
* Ensure your phone has been updated to the latest software
* Ensure you have closed all other multi-tasking applications
* Try deleting the app from your phone and downloading it again
* Reduce the preview framerate from 30 fps to 15 fps in the Settings of the DJI Vision app
* Try a different mobile device ( like iPod, iPhone, or a smaller Android smartphone)
* We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you reporting this error. We are currently tracking this error and reporting it to our engineers. Unfortunately we believe it may require an update. If this is the case our engineering team will release it through Apple's or Android's store when it is ready.

yep mine fails from day one :( on iPhone or ipad where the vision was fine, taking my plus back tomorrow to get replacement extender and a check incase its something else bleh :(

I noticed that I seem to get either a black screen or frozen or choppy video when I don't completely close out other apps that may have been running.
Today I had issues, looked for apps to close out but there were none. Then I noticed that my weather widget was trying to refresh the weather. I let it and then tried the DJI app and I was back in business.

Ditto...on all counts...black screen on Nexus 7 running 4.4.2 and iPhone 5s...both running vision app 1/0/40. Now, they are telling me to send my Phantom in for service. Think I will wait a bit. Any thoughts?

Well, if DJI tells you to send it in, I would send it in. This means that'll probably going to be my fate as well.

I was communicating with the guys in China. I passed on their directive to send it in to the guys in LA. Think I will see if they agree. Sure wish it was a firmware issue.

I followed up with them, telling them none of their solutions worked, they answered that they were unable to troubleshoot further, and that I should wait for an app update. Today I'm going up north to the country with a bunch of friends. I asked them to install the app. That should allow me to test with a fairly recent iPhone, Nexus 4 and Galaxy S3. If they all don't work, I doubt an app update will fix anything.

Anyone ever opened an RMA with them?

Having the same problem they told me the same thing. Weird thing is for a second it started working so I put it on EBay fire sold it and now it doesn't work again! :(

How much longer are we going to have to wait!!!!!!

I tried with a Galaxy S3 and iPhone 5, didn't work. I also tried re-binding the range extender to the camera just in case it would help. It didn't. Not confident an app update will fix anything. If anyone returned the camera for servicing, did you do it straight through DJI or through your vendor? My vendor is mail-ordered so... not sure how they'd handle it. Thanks.

OK, this is strange. I had pretty much given up on the vision + until an app update came out or maybe firmware update. Just for the hell of it this am I fired it up and FPV worked Perfectly! Closed the app a few times just to check and it was still working. I was thinking they must have updated the app overnight (mine is set to auto update). So flew around the front yard a bit then realized I had forgotten to put the mini SD card in so landed, powered off, inserted SD card, fired everything up again and no FPV. Aha I thought.....the SD card is the problem. Powered it back down and removed SD card expecting FPV to be back.... it wasn't.
So now I know it is most likely not a hardware issue, unless it is a loose connection. I didn't do anything differently- didn't try "forgetting" home wifi and all the various other tricks discussed here.... it just worked.
So diagnostically speaking, what do you guys think? This seems to me to be either a firmware or app issue, perhaps both.
Will

willriii said:
OK, this is strange. I had pretty much given up on the vision + until an app update came out or maybe firmware update. Just for the hell of it this am I fired it up and FPV worked Perfectly! Closed the app a few times just to check and it was still working. I was thinking they must have updated the app overnight (mine is set to auto update). So flew around the front yard a bit then realized I had forgotten to put the mini SD card in so landed, powered off, inserted SD card, fired everything up again and no FPV. Aha I thought.....the SD card is the problem. Powered it back down and removed SD card expecting FPV to be back.... it wasn't.
So now I know it is most likely not a hardware issue, unless it is a loose connection. I didn't do anything differently- didn't try "forgetting" home wifi and all the various other tricks discussed here.... it just worked.
So diagnostically speaking, what do you guys think? This seems to me to be either a firmware or app issue, perhaps both.
Will

Mine has worked and gone away with no logical explanation One second its on the next it stops we are all having the same exact issues and they say its the app lets hope they know what they are talking about and an update comes soon

Thanks for the update. I think the main difference with my situation is that for the four or five times I've flown it, I've never once seen anything in the FPV view. But from what I gather from your post it feels like I should do a special witchcraft dance before taking it out next time. Should work :) Seriously, I hope they get an app/firmware out soon so I can try it, but I remain pessimistic.

Has anybody tried going back on the camera software? My vision non plus has always worked fine with my galaxy tab2 but after upgrading to the latest version of the app I now get a 5-10 second delay before the camera view appears on the screen. I am running the previous version of camera software and I am guessing that if I had upgraded it then my picture might not appear at all :(

One of you guys mentions you run 1.0.40 on android. I know zero about iPhone versions. I can tell you this. I run 1.0.39 on my note3 running at&t latest kitkat. I have turned off auto updates because of the dji app. It works flawlessly. I would suggest you guys with androids to revert to 1.0.39 and give that a try. The apk is out there somewhere just find it and install it and turn off auto updates. Worth a shot.

BlackTracer said:
One of you guys mentions you run 1.0.40 on android. I know zero about iPhone versions. I can tell you this. I run 1.0.39 on my note3 running at&t latest kitkat. I have turned off auto updates because of the dji app. It works flawlessly. I would suggest you guys with androids to revert to 1.0.39 and give that a try. The apk is out there somewhere just find it and install it and turn off auto updates. Worth a shot.

It's here if you need it. http://droneslinger.com/software.html

Seems that reverting back to previous versions might be the way to go w/ apple software too. But I am a PC guy. I custom built this cpu from which I am talking to you now from components. But ask me to do anything "weird" on an iphone or ipad mini and I am lost. Can anyone do a step by step on how to revert back on apple software? I have found the link for the file. Are we really at the forefront for solving this?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20