FPV Newb - Suggestions?

Reaction score
I'm actually new to the drone world in general, was initially thinking about getting the PV2 or PV2+ but after a little more research I think I want to go the gopro route with either the P1 or P2, which ever I can get a better deal on. The problem i'm having is I really want to see what I'm shooting (using primary for photography) and have heard the gopro wifi does not mix well with the phantoms controller systems. I've seen some people list a number of things they need for their FPV setup but am at a loss as to what any of this stuff is. I also know there are more easy out of box setups like the one by Kumbacam but from what I've read there are better cheaper alternatives. Any help with direction on this would be awesome! Thanks in advance.

wesbob said:
Thanks for the link to that post, it was informative. I feel like im even more confused now. With the exception of better distance, is there any reason (except distance) I should go with the recommended setup with the black pearl,TS352 over this option which is easily $100 less? http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-Hero- ... ds=FPV+DJI?
I can list a number of reasons. Whether they matter to you or not is not my decision.

500 feet is terrible FPV range. That monitor (well, receiver) only takes one antenna. Monitors like the Black Pearl (among others) have diversity receivers built in, meaning you can have 2 types of antennas and it will automatically choose the one with the stronger signal.

Also, I prefer not to have to power the video transmitter with its own battery. That's just more weight on the Phantom that I don't want.

Plug and Play cable: $10
TS353 (Video Transmitter): $38
RX-LCD5802 (Monitor/Receiver): $140 (+ $6 for the charger)
iOSD Mini (telemetry): $68
Monitor mount: $10 (or $30 if you want a nice one like the Rave Aerial Mount)

$272...much cheaper than that Kumba kit and better. Use the money you save and upgrade the antennas.

http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=106

With upgraded antennas, that puts you at around $382 (plus shipping where applicable). A superior "self-made kit" for slightly more. Better distance, diversity monitor/receiver, and OSD telemetry.

The transmitter send out a signal. So all you need is a receiver to receive that signal. You can have multiple receivers receiving the same signal if you want.

So for those goggles, it's the same setup...just replace the monitor with the goggles.

Personally, I don't feel it is advisable to fly with goggles without flying with a monitor first. That's just a personal opinion. When you fly with goggles, you totally lose peripheral vision and can only see what the GoPro sees. What if there's something beside you? Behind you?

Edit: that kit comes with a transmitter, too. Just buy the goggles with a receiver and battery. Don't need another transmitter and camera.

Also, I'm not currently interested in the ISOD as I'm really only planning on using it within 30-50 feet from me. Is the ISOD a requirement for the FPV setup with the plug and play cables?

wesbob said:
Thanks dptcalvin.

As far as the Phantom 2, is the V2 really worth the extra 100$?
For $100, absolutely. The difference is normally greater than $100, I believe.

The stronger motors will be useful when you start adding the FPV stuff, and maybe a Flytrex Core 2, GPS tracker, etc. Plus I really like the LiPo battery in the RC. I've had my P2 since early December and haven't had to recharge the RC yet. And the wheel for tilting the gimbal is a nice feature.

wesbob said:
Also, I'm not currently interested in the ISOD as I'm really only planning on using it within 30-50 feet from me. Is the ISOD a requirement for the FPV setup with the plug and play cables?
It's not a requirement, but it's really...err, not smart to not have it. It's less than $70 and supplies important telemetry information such as power voltage, battery percentage, distance from home point, number of GPS satellites, etc.

Edit: i don't know if it's a requirement for the plug n play cable. I imagine it's not, but I can't confirm that. Really, there's no reason not to fly without OSD if you're flying with FPV.

Thanks. So i'm currently looking at

Phantom 2 V2
Neewer RX-LCD5802
TS353
IBCrazy 5.8 GHz Bluebeam Ultra Antenna Set
iOSD mini
Monitor Mount undecided??

Which plug n play cable would I need for this setup?

Okay, So if I wanted to use something like the FatShark Teleporter V3 instead of the monitor (assuming I had both) does this cause issues because of the transmitter? I would be better off going with the Boscam GS920?

You're making this so much more complicated than it has to be and now your questions are just confusing me, lol.

If you have both goggles and a monitor, there won't be issues because of the transmitter. And transmitter transmits information. A receiver receivers information. You can have multiple receivers receiving from a single transmitter. Now sure where you think this might cause a problem.

I don't know anything about that Boscam goggle set. As long as it can receive the same frequency/band/channel that your transmitter is transmitting, you're good.

Sorry to be confusing, I've spent the majority of my life working inside of computers and in that world not all parts are interchangeable like they appear to be in this realm (e.g. PC parts don't work in MAC's). Basically what I was getting at was if the TS353 Boscom would have any issues transmitting to a fatshark, based on what your telling me that should be a non issue. Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31