FPV Mode

Reaction score
The Phantom 3 Professional User Manual description of the FPV mode is a little confusing, but, through experimentation, I have worked out that it operates just like the Follow mode EXCEPT that the gimbal artificially introduces an apparent "bank angle" into the video feed when the right control stick is moved right or left to command lateral movement.The result is video which supposedly simulates a conventional airplane or helicopter banking into a right or left turn, but the system is improperly conceived since it introduces the artificial bank angle when the drone is commanded to move laterally left or right, but not when it is commanded to turn left or right (using the left control stick).Thus, unlike in an airplane or conventional helicopter, this artificial bank angle is not accompanied by any heading change - a confusion for anyone trying to experience a "First Person View". If the artificial bank angle was introduced when the left control stick was moved right or left (resulting in aircraft rotation and, therefore, changes in heading) the effect would make sense. I encourage programmers to make this modification.

FPV mode just locks the gimbal in place so that it moves with the nose of the bird. A roll left/right will roll the camera with the fixed gimbal, so I don't see any need for an artificial bank angle. Are you saying you observe one, or are speculating based on the description of FPV in the manual?

The Phantom 3 Professional User Manual description of the FPV mode is a little confusing, but, through experimentation, I have worked out that it operates just like the Follow mode EXCEPT that the gimbal artificially introduces an apparent "bank angle" into the video feed when the right control stick is moved right or left to command lateral movement.The result is video which supposedly simulates a conventional airplane or helicopter banking into a right or left turn, but the system is improperly conceived since it introduces the artificial bank angle when the drone is commanded to move laterally left or right, but not when it is commanded to turn left or right (using the left control stick).Thus, unlike in an airplane or conventional helicopter, this artificial bank angle is not accompanied by any heading change - a confusion for anyone trying to experience a "First Person View". If the artificial bank angle was introduced when the left control stick was moved right or left (resulting in aircraft rotation and, therefore, changes in heading) the effect would make sense. I encourage programmers to make this modification.
When you move the right stick, the drone does bank in order to move sideways. When you move the left stick, the drone yaws but does not bank. To do a balanced turn, you need to use a combination of both sticks while maintaining forward motion at the same time, and this will cause the horizon to tilt when using FPV mode. It is an actual bank angle, and not, as you suggest, an artificially introduced one.

I observe it... and you can too if you have a Phantom 3. Fire it up with the props off and without the motors running. Use the DJI Go app to put it in the FPV mode and then pick up the Phantom and play with it and with the left/right action of the two joysticks while watching the video on your mobile device. Don't know how the Phantom 2 deals with FPV mode, but the Phantom 3 does not lock the gimbal. It acts pretty much like the normal Follow mode except that it introduces an artificial bank into the video when the Phantom 3 is commanded to move left or right (using the right joystick) but not when the Phantom 3 is commanded to turn left or right (using the left joystick).

I observe it... and you can too if you have a Phantom 3. Fire it up without the props off it and without the motors running. Use the DJI Go app to put it in the FPV mode and then pick up the Phantom and play with it and with the left/right action of the two joysticks while watching the video on your mobile device. Don't know how the Phantom 2 deals with FPV mode, but the Phantom 3 does not lock the gimbal. It acts pretty much like the normal Follow mode except that it introduces an artificial bank into the video when the Phantom 3 is commanded to move left or right (using the right joystick) but not when the Phantom 3 is commanded to turn left or right (using the left joystick).

I observe it... and you can too if you have a Phantom 3. Fire it up with the props off and without the motors running. Use the DJI Go app to put it in the FPV mode and then pick up the Phantom and play with it and with the left/right action of the two joysticks while watching the video on your mobile device. Don't know how the Phantom 2 deals with FPV mode, but the Phantom 3 does not lock the gimbal. It acts pretty much like the normal Follow mode except that it introduces an artificial bank into the video when the Phantom 3 is commanded to move left or right (using the right joystick) but not when the Phantom 3 is commanded to turn left or right (using the left joystick).

When you move the right stick, the drone does bank in order to move sideways. When you move the left stick, the drone yaws but does not bank. To do a balanced turn, you need to use a combination of both sticks while maintaining forward motion at the same time, and this will cause the horizon to tilt when using FPV mode. It is an actual bank angle, and not, as you suggest, an artificially introduced one.

Actually try the experiment I proposed on a Phantom 3 AND on a Phantom 2, both in FPV mode. They're quite different. The 2 maintains gimbal stability in pitch but locks the gimbal in bank angle so, when the Phantom banks, the video reflects that bank. The Phantom 3 is completely different. The FPV mode doesn't lock the gimbal at all. Instead, it introduces an artificial bank into the video when it senses a FLY SIDEWAYS command (right joystick) but not when it senses a ROTATE (change heading) command (left joystick). Your talk of a "balanced turn" seems to be a reference to what airplane pilots call a "coordinated turn" using rudder and aileron together (to keep the ball in the center). Drones don't need to do that (there are no passengers who object to being tossed sideways in their seats). In a Phantom, the left stick is the HEADING control and the right stick is the MOVE SIDEWAYS control. The FPV mode, as I understand it, is to simulate flying in an airplane or helicopter. If you see a bank, you expect to see a turn resulting. In the P3 in FPV mode, if an airplane or helicopter pilot commands a turn, he won't see a bank. He should.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic