FPV loss when rotating at height

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was flying today with the following setup:
PV2+ with firmware 3.06.
Parabolic antenna (drink can) one behind normal antenna and one behind WiFi extender.
FPV Booster App after wifi connected.

I got up to about 575 meters height (almost directly above the home point) before the FPV starts to cut out intermittently. The WiFi extender is towards the PV2+ pointing almost directly up with the home made parabolic antenna directly behind it.

If I stop ascending (hover) and take photos FPV is okay until I start to rotate the PV2+ and then I lose the FPV completely. If I keep rotating slowly it comes back again. This suggests there is a 'blind spot' in the antenna signal whilst the PV2+ is in specific orientations to the controller. After losing FPV signal completely and getting 'Phantom Connection Broken' message and initiating RTH I found it was necessary to reset the WiFi extender mid-flight and re-join the WiFi network to regain FPV view.

I experimented a bit and on a separate flight flew forward about 600 meters at about 50-100 meters altitude with clear visibility of the PV2+ (even it became like a dot at range) from the home point. I started to get FPV fall out at around 600 meters out. As I rotate the PV2+ the same thing happens with complete signal loss in certain orientations and improved signal in other orientations.

Separately I've also found I'm getting occasional 'Control Signal Lost' messages at >500 meters in this setup again with specific orientations. Without the Parabolic antenna I sometimes get Control Signal Lost at around 200 meters away from the home point.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced similar... Any thoughts on (1) how to improve the FPV communication (so it can work in 360' rotation) and (2) if the FPV Booster App works with firmware 3.06?

With Thanks,

Richard (Serpent)

Attachments

• dji 0.png
    dji 0.png
    589.5 KB · Views: 528
  • dji 1.png
    dji 1.png
    885.1 KB · Views: 575
If the Phantom is directly overhead and your antenna is pointing straight up, you lose a lot of range. The maximal range is when the antenna is perpendicular to the LOS to the Phantom.

Transmitter antenna is perpendicular (pointing at the horizon) in the above.

Can't really comment..I did get 275m straight up from home point with no mods and no booster, but wasn't rotating when I got control signal lost. I actually lost sight of it (looking directly into clouds) and it took forever to return home :) Maybe test it at 200-300-400-500 with slow rotation and see what gives? You would think It surely has to do with antenna position etc or that the Phantom gets more signal from the side.

If you look inside the battery compartment you'll see two square patch antennas on the left and right.
These are the WiFi antennas and they are semi directional patch antennas.
Since they are pointing to the side at about a 15-20 degree angle, right underneath the Phantom is not the best place to be for optimal reception.
For that matter, neither is directly in front or behind the Phantom.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav