FPV kind of ??

Reaction score
Phantom with gimbal and gopro silver. Don't want or need actual FPV but do want to be able to see what I am recording just to set camera where it needs to be. Any suggestion that might be cheaper than full FPV?

Use the free GoPro app for your smartphone. Turn on the wifi of the GoPro. Make whatever adjustments you need to frame/angle the camera using the real-time image on your phone, then TURN OFF THE WIFI. This last step is critically important as the GoPro wifi is 2.4 Ghz, same as your transmitter/receiver. Using the GoPro with wifi enabled during flight with the Phantom is an almost guaranteed flyaway! So be SURE it is turned off when done.

PF

gotta love easy and FREE. After reading about the interference issues I was concerned I couldn't turn it on at all. Thanks.

Glad I have been browsing the site. I was all set to buy a Phantom 1.1.1 and a GoPro figuring with my iPad or Android I could do FPV. Never considered a conflict between the two 2.4Mhz units. I decided against the newest Phantom because I wanted the GoPro with better video and I have read the 5Mhz has less range. Can you suggest a way to do FPV monitoring with the Phantom? I was going to get the iPad Ground Station too and do some golf course video but guess I was expecting too much. Tnx.

After more browsing it looks like the Phantom 1.1.1., GoPro 3 and and an FPV system like Helipal deluxe on 5.4Mhz might do the job. Are there any obvious conflicts I'm missing?

Nope. That'll work fine.

PF

larryflew said:
Phantom with gimbal and gopro silver. Don't want or need actual FPV but do want to be able to see what I am recording just to set camera where it needs to be. Any suggestion that might be cheaper than full FPV?
I have put some plastic self adhesive half beads on the bottom of the TX next to the pitch lever so when flying I can move the lever to a point where I can feel the beads at the end of the lever and then I know where the camera is pointing.
I placed one bead at the upper most point that I want the camera pointing,another at the point where the camera is pointing slightly down from center and another that stops the lever at the point where the camera is pointing strait down.
This covers the angles I want to shoot with and keeps the shots/angles consistent.
The half bead things are called pearls.I bought them at a bargain basement type store in the crafts section.Cost $2 for a packet of 20 beads in 5 sizes.
My initial thought was to use small googly eyes until I found the beads I used,so if you can't find half beads you should be able to find small googly eyes in most craft shops.

Very ingenious. Thanks for sharing.

PF

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik