FPV interference

Reaction score
Looking for a little help here.

On my replacement p2, I am currently running BluBeam Ultras (airscrew and mad mushroom) with a TS353, plug and play cable, iosd mini, and my h3-d3 and GoPro hero 3+ black. All on a used LCD5802.

Up close, all is okay, but as soon as I'm even 100m out, the video signal gets very choppy. I've tried covering the receiver with foil, and it helps a little, but I still don't get any of the range others do. In my house, if I go around one wall, it starts to static out.

This is the same result as with the ts832 I have and when I had my original phantom.

The only constant seems to be the receiver (this happens with the BluBeams or stockers). Is it possible that the receiver in the lcd is shot? It was "lightly used" when I got it.

We're in the middle of 15 inches of snow, but I'll try to get images next time I fly.

Any help, tests, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Scorp

Re: FPV interference

Hughie said:
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=33907
His problem doesn't sound related.

Reoscorpio, honestly at this point it could be anything (transmitter, antennas, or receiver) but likely it's the transmitter or antennas.
Are you aware that if a transmitter is powered on with no antenna attached it basically burns up the internals and ruins the transmitter immediately? So if you or the previous owner did that then indeed the transmitter could be burned up. If $35 is in your budget it wouldn't hurt to just go get a new one.

but antennas could be the issue... if they aren't 5.8Ghz antennas, crap quality or suffered damage during a crash. Are you referring to the ~$70 set that's common? maybe get some pics or something...

did the previous owner say WHY he sold the craft? was he using all exact same equipment? was he having the same or better performance?

Hughie, thanks, but that is not the same issue, though I have tried that to rule it out. Here. Mine at 130 meters:

Short of buying a new monitor, I don't know if there is anything else to test. It seems that there is very little difference between the stock antennas and IBCRAZY's BluBeams on this setup, which leads me to suspect something receiver related as I've tried two different tx.

Thanks again for any help.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422901281.248045.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422901281.248045.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 494
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422901298.413539.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422901298.413539.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 563

Sorry, off topic. Can you link me to where you bought the decals for your RC?

Where is the transmitter on the bird mounted? What orientation is the transmitter's antenna in?

So the only used item is the LCD5802? I have doubts that it is the culprit, but perhaps try another 5802 from Amazon (good return policy)?

QYV said:
Reoscorpio, honestly at this point it could be anything (transmitter, antennas, or receiver) but likely it's the transmitter or antennas.
Are you aware that if a transmitter is powered on with no antenna attached it basically burns up the internals and ruins the transmitter immediately? So if you or the previous owner did that then indeed the transmitter could be burned up. If $35 is in your budget it wouldn't hurt to just go get a new one.

but antennas could be the issue... if they aren't 5.8Ghz antennas, crap quality or suffered damage during a crash. Are you referring to the ~$70 set that's common? maybe get some pics or something...

did the previous owner say WHY he sold the craft? was he using all exact same equipment? was he having the same or better performance?

The only thing that seemed to be used was the monitor. Everything else was assured new. Either way, I ended up getting a ts353 new after I had this problem with the ts832. So the transmitter shouldn't be an issue. Never turned on without an antenna.

I the. Ordered the BluBeam ultras (5.8 ghz). But still, the range problem persists.

Then I ended up replacing the phantom, and still the issue persists.

The only constants are my GoPro and the 5802. I'm hesitant to order another monitor as I basically have replaced everything else I purchased from a lever here. Probably should be just bought new.

But, at this point, I may just have to try it out as there doesn't seem to be any members close by (SW chicago burbs).

Thanks for the help guys.

FPV interference

dptcalvin said:
Sorry, off topic. Can you link me to where you bought the decals for your RC?

Where is the transmitter on the bird mounted? What orientation is the transmitter's antenna in?

So the only used item is the LCD5802? I have doubts that it is the culprit, but perhaps try another 5802 from Amazon (good return policy)?

Uavstickers.com

I bought the phantom 2 identity set and the phantom 2 colorblast pinstripe kit. I recommend both.

Transmitter is mounted out the back opposite side of compass. When mounted, the antenna goes out about and inch further and straight down due to the rp-Sma adapter and the right angle adapter.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422917471.842755.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422917471.842755.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 551

Huh, I didn't see that particular one when I bought mine (from the same site).

If you're getting the same range with both antennas and two different transmitters, I have to believe there may be excessive interference in your area (have you tried flying somewhere else?) or the receiver is bad. Based on what you've said, I'd try a new monitor/receiver. A bit more, but try the Black Pearl. Buy from Amazon or another trusted dealer that has a good return policy.

Is the picture significantly better a close range, or is there still some static/interference?

I don't think this is the issue, but it doesn't cost anything to try. First of all, check to make sure both the GoPro and monitor are on either NTSC or PAL. Assuming they're both on one, try the other.

Also, when you're about 100 meters out, which antenna is your monitor/receiver using (you can tell by the LEDs on the lower left).

I think it is deferring to the Mad Mushroom at that point, but I'll double check.

The picture is very clear at close range. The only interference is with the power from the GoPro but that doesn't bother me. The static starts at about 50 meters and gets progressively worse. Orientation of the phantom doesn't have any significant effect either, though I won't expect it at that range.

I've only flown within about a mile of my house. There are some cell towers, a junior high, etc but I don't think there is any reason I'd have excessive interference.

Appreciate all of the ideas, though. At least helps me talk it out and eliminate things.

Oh, and the one I bought was on the lower right (v2) of this page:
http://www.uavstickers.com/phantom-colorblast-kit.php

There's a cell tower about 75 meters from my backyard. I tried flying back there once and got interference about 20 feet away and 50 feet high. That cell tower kills my FPV. When I head out to the beach and fly over the ocean I get 800 meters easily. Probably could get more, but I'm too much of a wuss and have no need to go that far (so why risk it?).

I'd try somewhere else further away from the cell towers.

And thanks for the link! I don't think he had the updated versions for the new RC when I bought mine weeks back.

dptcalvin said:
There's a cell tower about 75 meters from my backyard. I tried flying back there once and got interference about 20 feet away and 50 feet high. That cell tower kills my FPV. When I head out to the beach and fly over the ocean I get 800 meters easily. Probably could get more, but I'm too much of a wuss and have no need to go that far (so why risk it?).

I'd try somewhere else further away from the cell towers.

And thanks for the link! I don't think he had the updated versions for the new RC when I bought mine weeks back.

Well, I'll definitely get out somewhere else AsAP and try it out to test. If still a no go, I'll order the black pearl from Amazon and rule out the receiver as well.

Thanks again.

And email them about the sticker set. Seemed like good people and might give you a discount on the second version.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik