FPV Installation - Concerns?

Reaction score
Hello,

Just got a Phantom 2 V.2, H3-3D and a bunch of FPV stuff. My goal was to install all the bits inside and have the cleanest possible look. One of the concerns I've read about is heat... I have a 200 mW VTX taped to the top of the mini iOSD. I left the transmitter on for some time while the case was open and, while it certainly got warm, it never got to what I considered hot.

Here are some pictures of my install:
IMG_7197descriptions.jpg

I re-routed some of the cables - the H3-3D ribbon, compass, and barometer all share the same hole now.
IMG_7201.jpg

Which freed up a hole for my antenna mount
IMG_7193.jpg

And the antenna
IMG_7200.jpg

The GPS foam sits right above the VTX and the iOSD is right under it... makes me a little worried about heat build up. Should I be looking for another spot to put it?

I had it out to about 400 meters on my first flight and it had a clean signal. But, the weather is pretty cold right now.

Thanks for any feedback.

Probably only generates a similar amount of heat as the P2V+ wifi unit. I'd guess it's okay.

Btw, the barometer is inside the Naza FC. Perhaps you meant the receiver antenna?

How many antennas does it have? There are 2 similar little wires that hang down. One looked like it was hollow but looking just now, it appears to have some wire in it.

200 mW won't produce enough heat to worry about.

you could place the vtx next to the vent under the main board and next to the battery / main battery connection. It would get some air circulation there for peace of mind.

Another forum member put this together
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=32207

And great looking explanation pictures

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this yet, but with the antenna in that exact position you've got some "dead zones" for signal... for example when the Phantom is facing you, the antenna will be blocked by the gimbal/gopro. You may want to consider extending that antenna down a little.... I Actually have mine below the leg of the Phantom so no matter what direction the Phantom is turned, I get solid FPV

or at least you'll know why you get inconsistent FPV signal when the Phantom moves around

Nice installation. Good job.

One thing which would bug me, would be the prospect of needing to change tx channel for some reason.
Much easier to be able to do this without having to strip the top off.

Also, as QYV has pointed out, I dont think you have the optimum positioning for your antenna. It will be obscured by the gimbal when flying towards the pilot.

Moved the VTX so I could get to the dip switches with the battery removed.
IMG_7204.jpg

IMG_7207.jpg

Things were getting a little warm too. I took this reading after about 10 minutes of just the P2 on, not running, and with top off. It has a lot more surface area to cool now that it's not sandwiched in like it was before. I can also take quick temp readings after some flying.
IMG_7209.jpg

My 250mW Fatshark gets really hot too. I have it attached to the leg under the right aft rotor to cool it down. Great reception all around.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20