FPV Googles with iPad & Lightning to HDMI adapter?

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a lightning to HDMI adapter with an iOS device to get video to FPV goggles? This could potentially get you more telemetry in the goggles than the HDMI board directly out of the controller. The HDMI adapter has a lightning pass-through, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Interested.
Also i'd like to know more (without gettin too far from the central subject)about your experiences with fpv googles amd P3A..
I read a lot of complaints about the 2 and 10 mbps difference but i also remember that someone actually used mybud glasses with p3a and reported really good results..
Please tell and describe more!
I was thinkin to buy hdmi out, but this idea of the lightning adapter sounds really interesting!

Well, I actually just traded in my P3A for a P3P, so I guess I need to change my signature.

My Fat Shark goggles just arrived, and I tried plugging my iPhone 6 into them, which seemed to work fine. I launched the DJI Go app and could see everything just fine in the goggles. I'll have to try it with the RC attached to my iPad Mini when I get home tonight and see if it works properly with the Lightning pass-through. Assuming this works, does anyone know of any advantage in using the HDMI board instead of the Lightning adapter?

Well, I actually just traded in my P3A for a P3P, so I guess I need to change my signature.

My Fat Shark goggles just arrived, and I tried plugging my iPhone 6 into them, which seemed to work fine. I launched the DJI Go app and could see everything just fine in the goggles. I'll have to try it with the RC attached to my iPad Mini when I get home tonight and see if it works properly with the Lightning pass-through. Assuming this works, does anyone know of any advantage in using the HDMI board instead of the Lightning adapter?
Presumably latency, since the breakout board does the decoding where as through the app, the device is doing the decoding. Even so, probably not noticeable.

An iPad Mini 4 probably has more horsepower than the HDMI breakout board, so maybe there will be less latency using the iPad? Of course, there may be some new latency introduced by Apple's airplay protocol that it uses to mirror the display. I searched around on the forum, but couldn't find anyone doing it. I figured there's probably a reason. Definitely going to have to play around with it.

As an owner of P4P and iPad mini 4 I am searching for best solution to get HDMI output. So the doubt is to get DJI HDMI output module ( Buy HDMI Output Module | DJI Store ) or to get apple lightning digital HDMI adapter ( Lightning Digital AV Adapter )?
Anyone has some experience with both? My first option is apple lightning digital adapter... it is cheaper and I could connect other devices like TVs to my iPad. Is there any advantages of using DJI module over this adapter?

Jmatic, your idea is surely interesting, since the Go app iPad display has more usefull data (for instance the radar) than the HDMI module output.

But are you sure the lightning socket nearby the HDMI one from the adapter is a normal bi-directional interface ? Asking since I've read somewhere this socket is meant just to assure the iPad is charged if the adapter is used longer time.
More, Apple isn't saying anything about connecting an active device to this socket while mirroring the iPad display to the adapter's HDMI output. Users of this adaptor are complaining some apps are not mirrored correctly to the HDMI. Do we know Go app is mirroring well ? Simultaneously, the RC is communicating well through this adapter with the iPad ?

If you have someone that already owns this adapter, ask him to borrow you the device and check all these above. If all functions flawlessly, then we do have in deed a better solution than the HDMI module (which by the way is pulling its share from the RC battery, I've noticed the RC battery is getting empty way sooner than using the normal stock module).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers