FPV goggles and p3s - Anyone tried this?

Reaction score
Tried looking around but not found a definitive answer. Understand the p3s cannot have a hdmi port output like the advanced.

I have an iPhone 6s - If i used the hdmi out adaptor, this can go into the HDMI in on any goggles. Anyone tried this?

Head tracking probably wouldn't work.

Hobby getting expensive....

Actually did more searching - Moral of the story don't just use google as there was a whole FPV section on the site which i missed.

Seems can either use Dominator V3 or dominator HD. A big outlay. The other alternative is a google cardboard type thing using one of the FPV apps and my iPhone 6+. Splitting the resolution of this screen in 2 and still close to what a pair of goggles will do.

I will try google cardboard and 'see what happens' ;)

Reactions: GandalfGraw
I've been very interested in this...so keep us posted!

No apps support cardboard split screen on p3s but given Litchi and Autopilot are getting there, the other apps hopefully won't be far behind. I figured Id go for the cheap option first.

I got fed up of researching so bought some Dominator V3 (widescreen so good for phantom) goggles too and will report back here what i preferred, and sell the ones I don't ;)

Waiting to read the results

So goggles arrived. On the surface what I suggested appears to work. Its nighttime so haven't really been able to assess latency etc.

very very irritating thing is the Dominators don't have that bigger FOV, and output from iPhone 6 via HDMI seems to under scan, leaving big black borders further reducing the screen size! Furthermore this is an app setting, so the videos app works fine....But by default everything has this horrible border. Im sure its fine on an android device. See this link. So right now not that happy with the border.

How To Correct Pictures with Black Borders in TV/Display Output

Its definitely not VR. Just like a pair of goggles with a TV inside. Ill do more testing the weekend.

Still waiting for the 15 quid VRbox.

Were you able to view the FPV from your Standard?

Yes apart from the annoyances above.

Apple (or app devs on their apps) need to get rid of the borders on hdmi out - it's obviously possible as they are not visible on the stock videos app
Would be nice if dji go also supported reduced osd (use hdmi out as second display?).

Will test again proper once there is good weather as I didn't try in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have the Note 4...would that work I wonder?

If it has HDMI then yeah and if it doesn't output a border to your monitor then yes. And it must do 720p signal.

However not too impressed with the setup for the price (285 GBP + iPhone HDMI cable 40 gbp)......Image quality/size just isn't good enough for the compromises of less control and more hassle.

Main issues are:
Iphone/ipad outputs a border on HDMI unless app developer disables it (apple issue)
As well as above most apps output another border full of OSD (aware some E.G. DroneVR have less OSD - great)
Dominator v3 just doesn't seem to have that bigger FOV and I just get a better quality image looking at my iPhone 6+. The screen is brighter and more crisp
Then you might need to do something with the device (E.G. start filming), so you put the goggles on your head (so you can use device) and get head grease all over the lens

The only advantage I can see would be in very bright conditions, you could do some better framing of shots etc. I didn't really feel much lag on the setup.

I don't think I will keep this setup and will put the goggles back on eBay. Next I will try DroneVR with a VR box (which will have issues with control etc).

I do wonder how much better the advanced with lightbridge is, or whether a really FPV transmitter/receiver setup is better.

I'm glad i tried though. Note this is my first foray into headset FPV, so I am not *that* fussy.

Well I got cheap VR box goggles now so will give that a go once an fpv app supports p3s, Google cardboard.

The image is much bigger than the goggles.

Well I got cheap VR box goggles now so will give that a go once an fpv app supports p3s, Google cardboard.

The image is much bigger than the goggles.

I think Litchi may be supporting P3S soon. Let us know how the goggles work out.

I also tried an nvidia shield, which has HDMI, but has a minor border on the left/right of the screen. Obviously one is outputting 16:9 while the other is 16:10 (just a guess).

Litchi is supporting P3S now,but only android phones work in virtual reality mode !!!!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

That's good to know!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl