FPV Glasses?

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the less expensive plug and play glasses / goggles being sold on amazon or ebay? Looking to get a small set to try out but not sure if I'd be wasting money. Using a Samsung Galaxy Tab3 or an Iphone 6 when I fly. Any suggestions would help. I've searched the forum and a ton of information on the higher end goggles and glasses with receivers, but not looking to drop that much into it.

I wouldn't recommend the less expensive glasses as the image quality will be less than desirable. I have the Fat Shark Dominator's HD and they do a great job-- it would be better, it you could do some physical comparisons by some that have goggles already. A hobby shop selling FPV equipment would probably demonstrate the different choices available for you.

The Fat Shark Dom look great. How do you connect the glasses to the P3
All P3's need the newly announced HDMI upgrade board to support a separate video output.

Alternatively, some pilots are using the Nvidea Shield tablet which has a separate HDMI video output.

You will also need goggles that support both the HDMI input and resolution. At present there are two popular solutions: the HeadPlay HD goggles (not really traditional goggles) and the Fat Shark Dominator HD goggles. The Dominator HD's are being replaced in the next 45 - 60 days with the Dominator HD V2 model with improved optics.

:harry

Has anyone tried the less expensive plug and play glasses / goggles being sold on amazon or ebay? Looking to get a small set to try out but not sure if I'd be wasting money. Using a Samsung Galaxy Tab3 or an Iphone 6 when I fly. Any suggestions would help. I've searched the forum and a ton of information on the higher end goggles and glasses with receivers, but not looking to drop that much into it.

When I started flying FPV I tried to do so with "budget" goggles.

After about 3 months I sold my goggles and purchased a set of FS Dominator V2's. The difference was dramatic in both color density, clarity anf FOV. More expensive yes, but very much worth it. I see this scenerio playing out all the time with new FPV flyers...buy cheap = buying twice.

I recommend hanging out with the local FPV flyers and trying out the various goggles. Just ask if you can have a look. It's the only way to tell what looks good to you. Also, ask their opinion and what they have also owned. FPV guys love to talk hardware !!

Where I fly you usually see only FS Dominators or Skyzone goggles. The HeadPlays are just showing up. Also, local hobby shops are OK, but the best stocked vendors are on line such as GetFPV and ReadyMadeRC.

Last edited:
When I started flying FPV I tried to do so with "budget" goggles.

After about 3 months I sold my goggles and purchased a set of FS Dominator V2's. The difference was dramatic in both color density, clarity anf FOV. More expensive yes, but very much worth it. I see this scenerio playing out all the time with new FPV flyers...buy cheap = buying twice.

I recommend hanging out with the local FPV flyers and trying out the various goggles. Just ask if you can have a look. It's the only way to tell what looks good to you. Also, ask their opinion and what they have also owned. FPV guys love to talk hardware !!

Where I fly you usually see only FS Dominators or Skyzone goggles. The HeadPlays are just showing up. Also, local hobby shops are OK, but the best stocked vendors are on line such as GetFPV and ReadyMadeRC.

Thank you. I'm definitely now looking to increase the budget. If you wouldn't mind answering a few questions I'd appreciate the help. I see some of the fatshark goggles have an HDMI input. They also receive at 5.8ghz. My Phantom 2 v + runs 5.8ghz for the transmitter/controller. Should I go with the 2.4ghz module or look at converting to a 2.4 transmitter? Lastly if I don't change out the receiver or transmitter can I HDMI from my tablet?

Let me see if I can answer your questions correctly. ( My previous FPV flying has been with regular 2.4 gHz rc controllers such the Spektrum DX 18 and either 5.8 or 1.3 gHz video down links before I got my P3P...)

First, while it is true that both the FS Dominator V2 and the Dominator HD goggles both have an HDMI input, only the Dominator HD goggles support the resolution needed to use the Phantom P3 or Inspire HDMI output. The HeadPlays also work fine with the P3 and the Inspire.

The FatShark Dominator and Dominator HD goggles use a modular design that allows users to select which on-board video receiver that want to use, if any. Immersion RC offers several different video receivers which can be mounted in the FD goggles (only 1 at a time).

These video receivers cover the "FatShark" 5.8gHz band, the "Boscam" 5.8gHz band, and the US 1.3 and 2.4gHz bands.

The HeadPlays have an integrated 32 channel 5.8gHz video receiver that covers all of the Boscam and FatShark frequencies used in the US.

Many FPV flyers use a completely separate video receiver that is not mounted into their goggles. This allows for the use of dual antenna diversity reception, which is helpful when flying long distance FPV.

Ultimately, the receiver you should use is dependent on whether or not the receivers available are compatible with your video output.

I would also want to insure that there was adequate frequency separation between my control link and my video down link.

If your tablet supports an HDMI output you may just want to try using some HD goggles with the tablet first.

Hope this helps.

Let me see if I can answer your questions correctly. ( My previous FPV flying has been with regular 2.4 gHz rc controllers such the Spektrum DX 18 and either 5.8 or 1.3 gHz video down links before I got my P3P...)

First, while it is true that both the FS Dominator V2 and the Dominator HD goggles both have an HDMI input, only the Dominator HD goggles support the resolution needed to use the Phantom P3 or Inspire HDMI output. The HeadPlays also work fine with the P3 and the Inspire.

The FatShark Dominator and Dominator HD goggles use a modular design that allows users to select which on-board video receiver that want to use, if any. Immersion RC offers several different video receivers which can be mounted in the FD goggles (only 1 at a time).

These video receivers cover the "FatShark" 5.8gHz band, the "Boscam" 5.8gHz band, and the US 1.3 and 2.4gHz bands.

The HeadPlays have an integrated 32 channel 5.8gHz video receiver that covers all of the Boscam and FatShark frequencies used in the US.

Many FPV flyers use a completely separate video receiver that is not mounted into their goggles. This allows for the use of dual antenna diversity reception, which is helpful when flying long distance FPV.

Ultimately, the receiver you should use is dependent on whether or not the receivers available are compatible with your video output.

I would also want to insure that there was adequate frequency separation between my control link and my video down link.

If your tablet supports an HDMI output you may just want to try using some HD goggles with the tablet first.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. That helps. I'm thinking if the hdmi output works then I'll be in the game without a ton of additional mods and money.

Wonder if the Samsung gear VR goggles would work well? Seems a cheaper option. Don't think there would be a need for the hdmi board. I could be wrong. Interesting to hear people's thoughts and opinions on this option.

Wonder if the Samsung gear VR goggles would work well? Seems a cheaper option. Don't think there would be a need for the hdmi board. I could be wrong. Interesting to hear people's thoughts and opinions on this option.

I could not find any specifics on the resolution of the VR Gear goggles. These look like they are purpose built for use with the Galaxy 4 tablet for gamers. Gaming and flying FPV are similar but different.

The P3 with the HDMI board represents the challenge of needing a video display that accepts an HDMI input as well as high resolution. This means that even if you wanted to try the budget goggles they are not going to work with the P3's HDMI board. End of story.

I can only repeat what my personal experience has been flying FPV for the past two years. Your (FPV) camera and goggles determine the quality of the overall FPV experience. If you have not flown FPV before I recommend you find local FPV flyers and try out what they are using. FPV flyers love to talk hardware and I was always welcomed to try out their goggles, etc. Look at what is being used and ask questions.

There are immersive goggles and cinematic goggles and then there are HD monitors. I wasted money trying to achieve a quality FPV experience by trying to use cheap components. This is a viable approach if you're just messing around. If you want to fly in formation with another flyer out 1000m or more and do this with strictly visual navigation you are likely to find you need an upgrade.

Reactions: Sandstorm76
dedstik I assume you're not running the stock camera system, or you've upgraded to a P3. The biggest issue I'm having is the P2Vision plus factor. I get the feeling I'll be either upgrading or changing out the video components before too long. I got the vision plus because I didn't need to mod anything for the video and camera controls. Starting to think I should've gotten the P2 and added a gopro.

dedstik I assume you're not running the stock camera system, or you've upgraded to a P3. The biggest issue I'm having is the P2Vision plus factor. I get the feeling I'll be either upgrading or changing out the video components before too long. I got the vision plus because I didn't need to mod anything for the video and camera controls. Starting to think I should've gotten the P2 and added a gopro.

Correct...I am flying a P3P and also an F450 with a GoPro and an FPV camera with an in-flight video switch, etc...

With all the interest in the P3 and the HDMI upgrade I (wrongly) assumed you were inquiring on what to use with a P3.

If you are going to be upgrading / changing your FPV components and do not require the HD resolution that the P3 and Inspire demand then you have more choices. Nice quality 5.8gHz components are not that expensive. For goggles you can consider the FS Dominator V2 (soon to be the V3) and the Skyzone goggles. Those are pretty much the standard for non HD FPV goggles.

The big issue using a GoPro as a primary FPV camera and a recording camera is the video latency.
If you really want to use a GoPro for image recording then just get a lightweight Sony CCD camera and a 600mw 5.8gHz transmitter and a video rx and goggles.

I could not find any specifics on the resolution of the VR Gear goggles. These look like they are purpose built for use with the Galaxy 4 tablet for gamers. Gaming and flying FPV are similar but different.

The P3 with the HDMI board represents the challenge of needing a video display that accepts an HDMI input as well as high resolution. This means that even if you wanted to try the budget goggles they are not going to work with the P3's HDMI board. End of story.

I can only repeat what my personal experience has been flying FPV for the past two years. Your (FPV) camera and goggles determine the quality of the overall FPV experience. If you have not flown FPV before I recommend you find local FPV flyers and try out what they are using. FPV flyers love to talk hardware and I was always welcomed to try out their goggles, etc. Look at what is being used and ask questions.

There are immersive goggles and cinematic goggles and then there are HD monitors. I wasted money trying to achieve a quality FPV experience by trying to use cheap components. This is a viable approach if you're just messing around. If you want to fly in formation with another flyer out 1000m or more and do this with strictly visual navigation you are likely to find you need an upgrade.

Just tested my Headplay FPV goggles with the Phantom 3. Jerky video at first with my Galaxy 5s, then I put the Galaxy 5s in airplane mode and it cleaned up the latency big time. I'm using the Actiontech ScreenBeam Mini 2 as a Bluetooth receiver hooked to the Headplay goggles. The Galaxy phone has a setting called screen mirroring. Turn it on and it sends HDMI screen content to the Headset.

The Fat Shark Dom look great. How do you connect the glasses to the P3
Just tested my Headplay FPV goggles with the Phantom 3. Jerky video at first with my Galaxy 5s, then I put the Galaxy 5s in airplane mode and it cleaned up the latency big time. I'm using the Actiontech ScreenBeam Mini 2 as a Bluetooth receiver hooked to the Headplay goggles. The Galaxy phone has a setting called screen mirroring. Turn it on and it sends HDMI screen content to the Headset.

Bruce...

How do you like your HP's ? Mine should be here Monday.

Would this set up work with the P2V+?

I really like the Headplays. I wear glasses and they don't quite fit into the helmet. My older pair fit but the perscription is weaker so I'm going to get a cheap pair of prescriptions just for the HP's. Helmet is great for the Inspire and works well with GoPro and 5.8 transmitter. Phantom 3 was a little tricky. The Ipad HDMI adapter doesn't work so I tried a Bluetooth adapter and my Galaxy 5s phone and got it to work. I'll fly that tomorrow for the first time and give a better report. But It does function with the ScreenBeam Mini2 from BestBuy. Just put your phone in the airplane mode so you don't load down the microprocessor.
Great Flying

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj