FPV/Fat Shark Questions

Reaction score
I'm getting an FPV setup for my Phantom. I've pretty much decided on the Predator V2 by Fat Shark. It seems to be a popular model. It looks like the Attitude is the better model, but it comes with neither a battery for the headset nor a camera. Some questions:

Anybody here use this set with their Phantom? How do you like it?

How is it commonly mounted? I see it mounted under the Phantom usually, but I'm afraid it could fall off. Maybe my concerns are unfounded.

Can the Phantom charger recharge the goggles battery with no issues?

Thanks!

Hi Don,

I have the Predator V2 and love it! Sure helps with orientation issues when you fly not to mention the fun factor!

I've not tried the Attitude but in my opinion the Predator works just fine for my needs, hard to imagine really needing something with better resolution, the Predator is quite impressive in my opinion.

I did upgrade to the 600 mW ImmersionRC transmitter along with the SpiroNET Omni, 5.8GHz CP Antennas. These transmitters only work with direct line of sight so keep that in mind when your flying. Trees, buildings even your head will all interrupt the video signal. So doing what I could to increase the range/power was a more logical step.

I mounted the 600 mW ImmersionRC transmitter under the main body of the Phantom using the PhantoMount CF Battery/Accessory Tray. I used high strength velcro (Home Depot) to attach it which seems weak I know but let me tell you its a pain in the behind to separate that Velcro. The transmitter is very light so it stays put, I covered one whole side of the transmitter in Velcro. The transmitter comes shrink wrapped in plastic which Fat Shark recommends keeping around the transmitter so that was an easy surface to attach the Velcro to.

Yes the stock Phantom charger works perfect with the Fat Shark battery which is an 2S so you plug it into the 2S port is all. They also include a little adapter.

I did not use the camera that came with the Predator, instead I hooked into the Zenmuse Gimble and the direct feed from the Hero GoPro3

The only other issue was mounting the V2's little power filter. I mounted mine right to the front of the battery storage door of the Phantom. You will have to cut a small slot in the plastic door so the balance lead can fit though. (I used a mini hack saw) This way I can use the mainPhantom battery rather than installing a second battery just for the video transmitter. I figured its about the same drain as adding the weight of a second battery.

Here are the links to the items I talked about above. I'll try to get some pictures posted a bit later on.

600 mW ImmersionRC
http://www.immersionrc.com/product-deta ... 600mW%20Tx

SpiroNET Omni, 5.8GHz CP Antennas
http://www.immersionrc.com/product-deta ... %20Antenna

PhantoMount CF Battery/Accessory Tray
http://www.rc-drones.com/rcd-phantomount-acc.php

I use the DJI 5.8 fpv and by the looks of it this does much better at range and penetration compared to the fatshark and immersion gear. I was flying mine pretty deep in the trees a few weeks ago and another guy was flying a fatshark setup with 600mw immersion vtx and he would lose video instantly if he got behind a branch or 2. I could have quite a few trees in the way and video still is ok.

The goggles are ok but their 5.8 setups are quite a bit weaker then the dji I think and many fatshark/immersion fliers I have seen get amazed at what my 5.8 setup can do compared to theirs.

I am still using the stock radio and this loses range way before the video link especially when behind any obstructions. I am just about to install a futaba 8fgs so will give it a bit more of a stress test as this should outdo my video link range in both penetration and direct los. I did do a range test leaving the setup in the house and walked a fair way down the street before losing video with quite a few houses in between. Everyone seems to recommend fatshark and immersion as the defacto 5.8 setup but I really am starting to wonder why as there seem to be better options out there.

I use Fast Shark Attitude. Bought additional batteries and they charge with stock charger using XT-60 like additional adapter.
I upgraded to inmersion 600 mw VTX. As it gets hot, I have it installed back - left sided using Carbon Fiber mount from rc-drones also. No velcro, I use Zip Tie for joining to CF plate- don't want velcro melted and VTX hanging on :lol: . In addition, I added a LCD monitor with DiversityUNO 5.8 receiver, so you can have dual view (goggles and Monitor). Great for partner or friends viewing ;)

Had gone 500 mts without obstacles before signal become choppy, but yawing a little until get good signal works fine.

VTX-sideway3.jpg

Hi Guys......

I still think the resolution of the Fat Shark Predator is poor at best! I prefer using a the SkyLark monitor setup that Martcerv turned me on to.

Slugger

That PhantoMount is fantastic. It's a clean solution. I'm definitely picking one of those up. I'd like to order everything from one place, but where can I order an FPV set, cables, batteries, adapters, antennas, etc., all at a reasonable price?

I'm surprised how many people ditch the Fat Shark stock transmitter. Is it so bad? I am worried about obstacles. For instance, I live on an oval street. Could I go for a spin around the block and back, or would I lose picture the moment I'm out of sight?

I think an FPV set is incomplete without an OSD. This ezOSD looks fantastic, but there are other options. Any opinions?

Thanks again, guys, you've been incredibly helpful!

I do a full mounting kit for the Predator V2 kit.... (details in the classifieds): viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2082

6e2a997c-2732-42f1-8dc5-da81cada71fc.jpg

As for the predator kit... for me it is great. I use the goggles mostly but with an EasyCap capture card I use my laptop for a monitor sometimes. Cloverleaf antennas are a must IMO - I made my own (its not that hard). Youtuve searc 'ibcrazy cloverleaf' for how to do that. I get 1.3km clear view with DIY cloverleaves on the stock 250mw transmitter.

Don't get me wrong there are better systems and setups out there... all comes down to your needs. If you intend to get planes in the future for long range then spend more now. For the phantom you will not need more than the 250mw and Cloverleaf/Spironet.

Dewey, that's gorgeous! Is it 3D printed? I went with the Attitude SD, but I think the hardware on the drone side is the same as the Predator. I saw on your shapeways page you make an adapter from GoPro to hotshoe. Do you happen to make one from GoPro to the little camera that comes with the Predator? I wonder if the immersionrc transmitter is the same size as the stock Fat Shark unit.

The Don said:
Dewey, that's gorgeous! Is it 3D printed? I went with the Attitude SD, but I think the hardware on the drone side is the same as the Predator. I saw on your shapeways page you make an adapter from GoPro to hotshoe. Do you happen to make one from GoPro to the little camera that comes with the Predator? I wonder if the immersionrc transmitter is the same size as the stock Fat Shark unit.

Thanks chap... always nice to hear a positive word. Yep 3D printed via Shapeways. It all stemmed from a DIY project but I'm really pleased with how things have progressed. Shapeways printing is really good and so far I have had good feedback from people. I use my kit of every flight and the White Nylon really is perfect for the flight application (light but durable).

I am pretty sure the Attitude uses the stock 250mw TX? The filter (if it comes with one?) you need to watch out for as they only just made a change to it that doesn't fit my housing (yet). I am awaiting the a chinese delivery of one so i can re-design but they are in short supply (none in the UK yet).

I've not made a mount for the stock Fat shark camera as yet. I think others have made one on Shapeways tho? I am doing a bunch of new designs that will be sent for print on Friday so I should have the prototypes back by the end of the month. If i have a chance I will do the camera (seems fitting really).

I mounted the vtx just under the l.e.d at the back of the phantom. it is positioned left to right with the antenna pointing out the left side of the phantom just outside the landing gear. I get a much better reception with the vtx mounted like this as there is less interference from the gimbal and phantom body when I turn around to return home. I double sided taped it in place then drilled 2 small holes and zip tied it in place, a light weight effective way of mounting as I have heard that carbon fibre can affect the performance of electronics (if I am wrong please let me know).

I was going to get the attitudes but apparently your eye sits to close to the screen making you feel like you are watching a 60inch plasma from 3 ft away. The dominator goggles are more like 6ft from the plasma which is better for the eyes. The only problem I find is that you are quite vulnerable when wearing the goggles but it is fully immersive. Getting a boscam dual 5.8 monitor next.

I got to fly with my new FPV system tonight. My first reaction is that it's the coolest thing ever. However, using the stock Fat Shark 250mW transmitter I lost picture faster than I would have liked: maybe half a block or so from home. I see that most of you have upgraded to the immersionrc 600mW transmitter. Will that make a huge difference? I'm using the nice spironet antennas.

I can get 1km easy with no noise on the video feed with the 600mw, in the right area's. Ive got the IBcrazy cloverleafs on both goggles and phantom. Obstacles can cause video feed to drop out sometimes as others have said. I was thinking about upgrading my receiver to dual 5.8 but im not sure how much of a difference that would make.

Hi Don - Just PM'd you and then saw this. Interesting you are getting drop out using Spironet antenna and the 250mw.... I can get 1.3km clear signal on a 250mw with my DIY Cloverleaf. Are yours the genuine ImmersionRC ones? Sounds to me like they are very not well tuned as they should easily take you to the range of the stock Phantom TX with clear line of site.

Don,not sure of your exact set up but something you should check is the connection type on the antennae and the sockets they are plugged into.There are a few variations of connections.
Look in the threaded ends and there will be a pin protruding in one end (Male) and a hole for the pin to go into on the other end (Female).Make sure you don't have both with a hole for the pin to go into (Both Female).
Hope you can follow that.
If you have both female you will still get a picture but it will drop out in a short distance.

Quick question. I just got my Fat Shark Predator V2 and I'm looking over the manual. It talks about charging the goggle batt. with a standard R/C charger. I have a dji Phantom and don't have a standard R/C charger.

Can I charge this batt. with the Phantom battery charger (if so how do I hook it up) or will I need to purchase a "standard R/C charger"?

Thanks

im pretty sure you can charge the battery with the stock charger. Just plug the balance plug into the 2s socket on the charger and connect battery as normal. I have the dominators and an aftermarket charger, they must be the same battery i'm guessing.

boat chaser said:
im pretty sure you can charge the battery with the stock charger. Just plug the balance plug into the 2s socket on the charger and connect battery as normal. I have the dominators and an aftermarket charger, they must be the same battery i'm guessing.

What do you mean "stock charger" the dji Phantom charger? The balance connector on the FS batt. will fit in one of the sockets of the Phantom charger but the main power connector is different. There is an adapter type device that comes with the FS but they call is a "Discharge Adapter" that will adapt the Batt. power connector to the Phantom charger connector but this is all new to me and FS is using some strange terms to describe stuff. I just don't want to connect it till I'm sure. Don't want to blow up the battery and maybe the house. No offense but I would feel much more confident if someone that has the same setup as I have and has done this would chime in.

Thanks

sundance2013 said:
Quick question. I just got my Fat Shark Predator V2 and I'm looking over the manual. It talks about charging the goggle batt. with a standard R/C charger. I have a dji Phantom and don't have a standard R/C charger.

Can I charge this batt. with the Phantom battery charger (if so how do I hook it up) or will I need to purchase a "standard R/C charger"?

Thanks

Hey, Phantom stock charger works great for charging your 7.4v FatShark battery. (700 mAh or 1000 mAh)
Select LiPo, then select 1A incharger, connect the balance white plug into the charger side socket (smaller one) and use an XT60 to barrel adapter or PMW (barrel) to bannanas adapter, for connecting the battery plug to charger. Here the pictures for clearing this:

20651-main.jpg

fat-shark-p-fs-004b-xt-60-style-discharge-adapter.jpg

8ac986eaf3bcac2bbaf350b7c1551bab.image.750x492.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers