FPV factory mariner with NAZA flight system won't hover well

Reaction score
Hey, I am new to quadcopters, and have and FPV Factory Mariner. Internally, it is essentially a DJI phantom. It uses the NAZA system and the controls, lights, etc. are all identical to the phantom. The only real difference is that the Mariner is waterproof.

Here is the problem that I have been having. It won't hover well. If I let off of the sticks, it moves all over the place in a fairly large area (at least it seems large to me). It will suddenly drop or shoot up about roughly 20 feet and it it will pitch and roll at least 20 feet horizontally. A few times it has also suddenly developed a mind of its own and gone plowing off rapidly even though I wasn't moving the sticks (every time that it has done that, it went down while moving horizontally, and one time it crashed as a result, fortunately it was in water so there wasn't any damage). I'm flying it in GPS mode, I have the factory recommended props on it and they are on correctly, I calibrated the compass before flying it, and it had full GPS signal. There was some wind, but it was by no means a strong wind, and I have seen videos of these things holding a very stable position in extremely strong winds.

Also, I had it in the home lock mode where my left is always left and my right is always right, if that matters.

Is there something wrong with my quadcopter, or am I doing something wrong, or am I just expecting too much of it? I read a lot about these and watched tons of youtube videos before buying it, and I really expected a lot more stability out of it.

Thanks for the help!

Re: FPV factory mariner with NAZA flight system won't hover

I do not own a mariner but I have looked at them online. Two things I have wondered about:
1. The GPS module is inside very close to the other electronic with no apparent shielding.
2. I don't see any vent to atmosphere so I wonder how the barometer cane equalize with outside air pressure.
You might try adding some foil under the GPS and testing with the lid off to see if either of these will help.

I don't see a visible LED on that, are you able to tell for sure that it's staying in GPS mode?

FPV factory recently came out with a vented cover (which I ordered) so hopefully that will help.

There is an LED, but it is hard to see while flying. The light has, however, always indicated that it has good signal and is in GPS mode prior to take off and after landing, and I have been flying on pretty clear days, so I think it is staying in GPS mode.

Thanks for the suggestions

Have you fixed your hover problem? I have the same problem and can't seem to fix it.

I had a similar problem of the quad taking off vertically in a f450, but upgrading the Naza lite software solved the problem.

Been having a similar problem just without the crashes.

Sky-Hero little spyder quad
NAZA lite
E300 motors
DEVO F12E & Devo 1202

I was using the standard "grey" props from DJI that came with the E300 motors. Used them on F550 which had quite a bit of gear on it (heavy) resulting in no problems what so ever.

During testing with Sky-hero little Spyder it would not hover on its own, drifted all over the place.

Finally replaced props with 10 x 5 & extended the arms out 10mm. With a 2800mAh batt, no gimbal she will hover perfectly on its own.

What I learned, she needs bigger props. What I'm contemplating now is either turning it into an X8 ( purchasing another E300 quad package ) or bigger props again.

So I have a question for "Ol" if he's reading.... Can you fit E600 props onto E300 motors?. As I want to add gimbal & 4500mAh batt.

P.s

Ol, I managed to get the Devo system to work with the Naza....

Hi, what I discover with the Phantom and Mariner is that even both runs on Naza but the built enclosure works differently. The Phantom is not fully enclosed meaning the pressure inside the chamber is able to balance equally inside and outside so is able to hover more stable then the Mariner.

The Mariner actually comes with 2 clear covers; fully covered fully waterproofed, and a semi membrane cover. Try both covers, or remove the gasket/cover and try hovering over low attitude to see any difference because the barometer inside would be able to detect the actual pressure.

Note: do an experiment, and don't hover the mariner over water.

or, could it be firmware version related? update the latest if possible.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik