FPV Confusion

Reaction score
Here's a fun one I'm sure those with more FPV experience can help remedy...

My monitor stays on and shows a great picture until the P2 is on. In other words, I enjoy some of the best snow you could want. But when I power up, off she goes.

Why?

sorry mate that post was really hard to follow, we're going to need you to be more descriptive.
Are you saying that when you turn ON the Phantom, your separate, external... LCD? goggles? display turns OFF?

tell us what all equipment you have... Phantom 2 Vision or non-Vision? Zenmuse Gimbal? Gopro? iOSD Mini yes/no? what video transmitter is on the Phantom? What is your receiver/display on the ground?

Sorry for the confusion. I tried to post a video from my iPhone, but this forum doesn't allow that. I'll take a pic of the setup on my P2...

Let's see if this helps convey the problem more completely:

I have a P2, with the TX and iosd mini mounted on the bottom. This config has worked well for the past several weeks. Yesterday, my 7" FPV monitor began powering completely off whenever I powered the Phantom on.

If the P2 is off, the monitor shows a nice snow for hours...but the minute I activate the P2 and the TX, the monitor doesn't just go dark...it turns off. Up until now it's worked fine. Very confused.

Attachments

• Photo Dec 04, 12 35 07 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 04, 12 35 07 PM.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 499
that is indeed crazy... there's no way for the Phantom or TS832 to send a command to physically power off the screen... the only thing I can think of is some defect in the screen that when it receives a signal, somehow shorts out or something and powers off.

So you turn ON the phantom and the screen mysteriously turns off.. when happens when you try to power on the screen? will it not even power up at all?

When I power it back up, it flickers once and goes back off. Battery is full, and monitor works (showing snow) for hours uninterrupted until the TX is activated.

yep. I can't possibly explain why, but the only idea I have is that the screen has gone bad and when it tries to actually display an image it's getting from the 5.8Ghz receiver, it shorts out or whatever and poof. Do you have a hobby shop nearby? you could go over there and they could try a different receiver just to see what happens.

but there's no way a TS832 can send any kind of faulty signal or shutoff command

Does the behavior change if the gopro is sending a valid image or not (on or off)? That might help pinpoint if it's the type of content being sent that shuts the monitor off versus sending anything at all.

Also, how about trying some other channel combinations for kicks.

It certainly sounds like the video parameters being sent might be out of range all of a sudden. Does your monitor have a reset settings button? Or possibly a wide screen on/off or resolution options?

You could also try attaching a valid video input directly to the monitor if it has video inputs.

graves14 said:
It certainly sounds like the video parameters being sent might be out of range all of a sudden.

not a bad idea... could be a NTSC / PAL thing? make sure both the gopro and receiver are in the same mode

Will certainly check both those things. It would be much less perplexing if it had never worked...but it worked great up until a couple days ago when I was shooting indoors at a church.

you're saying God hates drones?!

Is he associating going from snow to black screen as turning off? Is it possible that black screen is confirming tx is turned on sending signal to Rx, but just no video or data is being sent to tx to go out the rx?

Check connections from iosd to tx. Confirm the Rx (monitor) is staying on (led lights on monitor, or push menu button to confirm monitor menu pops up)

One question I have for anyone that can answer. Will IOSD pass video if it has power loss or is broke/damaged?

It's truly and fully powering down. The green led changes to red on the monitor and I have to power it back up.

hobsonmedia said:
It's truly and fully powering down. The green led changes to red on the monitor and I have to power it back up.
That is really weird. I have no suggestions other than getting with a friend to test on another monitor or replace monitor.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20