FPV camera for DJI app

Reaction score
Hi chaps, just a quick question?

Is the FPV camera for DJI app any good? Seems to say on the tin that you can perform extra intelligent options for the P3P than the DJI GO app? Such as pre programming and planning way points before flight! If so why hasn't DJI brought this functionality out?

Advice would be hugely welcome. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Who knows DJI might go for pre-planned waypoints as provided by Litchi, FPV Cam and others? There is more risk involved if you plan waypoints offline as you need to judge the heights and the location of the points accurately. May be DJI wants to avoid risky things. I use offline planning and carefully take care of the heights. Off line planning also estimates mission time too. That's very useful as I plan mission not exceeding 12-14 minutes. Using Google Earth to get ground coordinates/ elevations is very helpful in no so plane areas.

Yes. Fpv is good. Go with the 2.99 all included rate. Or they will nickel and dime you.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks chaps, please excuse my ignorance but would this app work as a stand alone app for the P3P or in conjunction with the DJI Go app?
I've downloaded the basic one I think (£3.99) in English money but it still wanted to charge me for things like mission planning? Is that normal?

Yes. It works as stand alone. You can switch as you need. I use it more as it had the goggles. It is outstanding.

Who knows DJI might go for pre-planned waypoints as provided by Litchi, FPV Cam and others? There is more risk involved if you plan waypoints offline as you need to judge the heights and the location of the points accurately. May be DJI wants to avoid risky things. I use offline planning and carefully take care of the heights. Off line planning also estimates mission time too. That's very useful as I plan mission not exceeding 12-14 minutes. Using Google Earth to get ground coordinates/ elevations is very helpful in no so plane areas.
FPV Camera is likely to add Google elevation service in Mission Planner in the next update. You will not need Google Earth to check elevation for mission planning.

FPV Camera is likely to add Google elevation service in Mission Planner in the next update. You will not need Google Earth to check elevation for mission planning.
Waiting to see such improvements.

Fantastic information gentlemen thank you. One final question regarding NFZ and authorised zones. As we know DJI are testing these and I'm rather worried due to my proximity to several airfields that my back garden will become unusable for launching. Does the FPV app have the same restrictions?

They all have restrictions near airports airfield. Heliports. Whatever you want to call them . Depending on the size of the airport is where the restriction comes to play. Even with dji. I live 3 miles from a airport. But it does not affect my ability to fly. As long as I'm 1.5 miles away from this tiny airport all is good. Major airports 5 miles. Public safety trumps your backyard.

Fantastic information gentlemen thank you. One final question regarding NFZ and authorised zones. As we know DJI are testing these and I'm rather worried due to my proximity to several airfields that my back garden will become unusable for launching. Does the FPV app have the same restrictions?

NFZ and authorized zone are restricted by flight controller/firmware on the aircraft regardless what apps do you use. FW 1.5 (or earlier) doesn't equip authorized zone capability AFAIK.

Just purchased FPV camera today.

A few questions on it.
Ipad mini 4, wifi only 9.3.1.

Is there a way to activate bread crumb trail of route flown.?
I must admit the green line and the drone arrow position being separated completely threw me at first.
Other things how much area can be cached in memory ? I normally fly within 50 miles of my house so can the app store a 50 mile radius ?
Other thing I noticed when its connected if I zoom out it zooms back in straight away.
Though when not I could zoom out.
Things I missed from go app, audio notification of home point, smart battery status, record on off on screen.
Also my memory card was full half way through recoding and I did not get any warning.

Last edited:
The latest DJI aircraft FW 1.8.80 and RC FW 1.6 fixed C1 button customization pop-up window on FPV Camera.
I am curious if this option can be done with FPV Camera goggle mode....
have the goggle option be fed from the HDMI module to an iphone6 while at the same time have the Normal view at the RC mounted Ipad mini... this way I could hand a compatible iphone VR head set to someone and they could be watching the flight in goggle mode while I was using the ipad mini connected to the RC in normal view.... I would think this would be a great option...

Just purchased FPV camera today.

A few questions on it.
Ipad mini 4, wifi only 9.3.1.

Is there a way to activate bread crumb trail of route flown.?
I must admit the green line and the drone arrow position being separated completely threw me at first.
Other things how much area can be cached in memory ? I normally fly within 50 miles of my house so can the app store a 50 mile radius ?
Other thing I noticed when its connected if I zoom out it zooms back in straight away.
Though when not I could zoom out.
Things I missed from go app, audio notification of home point, smart battery status, record on off on screen.
Also my memory card was full half way through recoding and I did not get any warning.
Firstly, FPV Camera is not duplicating DJI GO. Thus, you may think it slightly different.

The green line is called pilot wand, which might change color depending on signal strength. It shows the direction you are aiming/facing. If you turn your body facing to aircraft then the pilot wand would be aiming the aircraft on the navigation map.

Navigation Map is based on much more accurate Google Map. You can zoom/pan to cache the map where you plan to fly if no internet connection. You may turn on "Combine Home/Pilot Point" for Wifi only iPad. I copy-and-paste a few sections in Settings under Help > FPV Camera > Features as below. It's worth to read more for details.
  • Pilot Wand: Toggle On/Off to show/hide pilot wand with different color for current signal strength (strong>weak, green>yellow>orange>red). This is a very handy feature specially for long range flyers with directional antenna modded to keep their antenna aiming right at their aircraft precisely. It's also useful to show direct return path of aircraft when it's beyond VLOS.
  • Combine Home/Pilot Point: For Wi-Fi only (non-GPS) iPad, Pilot point is usually inaccurate. This option allows you to relocate Pilot point to Home point on the map. It's suggested to enable this option if you are using Wi-Fi only iPad.

Ok, will have a look at the notes.

What about the no error message on sd card being full ?
My recording was cut half way through and I had no indication of that.

Also how much area can be cached in memory ?

thanks

Ok, will have a look at the notes.

What about the no error message on sd card being full ?
My recording was cut half way through and I had no indication of that.

Also how much area can be cached in memory ?

thanks
You may use Custom Telemetry to show "SD Remain Size" and/or "SD Capture Count".

Navigation Map caching is handled by Google Map automatically by it's own algorithm. It's similar to DJI GO that is using Apple Map. You just need to cache/check your planned field with the same Map Type before leaving home with Wifi connection.

You may use Custom Telemetry to show "SD Remain Size" and/or "SD Capture Count".

Navigation Map caching is handled by Google Map automatically by it's own algorithm. It's similar to DJI GO that is using Apple Map. You just need to cache/check your planned field with the same Map Type before leaving home with Wifi connection.

Yes but a full message would be pretty much essential.

SO what size area can be cached ?

Yes but a full message would be pretty much essential.

SO what size area can be cached ?
Google Map doesn't state cached area size, but I have never encountered insufficient cached area. You may cache the required area with multiple zoom levels, then turn off Wifi to check the cached map.

Thanks
I had chance to play with that a bit more yesterday and seems to hold quite a large area in terrain view (I have a lot of hills and mountains near me so thats quite good)

Only thing did not seem to make any difference is the zoom slider on map view.
Also not sure if its my imagination but the brightness level seems higher than the go app on recorded video (i have a ND filter) and on ev adjustment.

Just got a set of FPV goggles today so hope to try the 3D stuff in a day or 2.

Thanks
I had chance to play with that a bit more yesterday and seems to hold quite a large area in terrain view (I have a lot of hills and mountains near me so thats quite good)

Only thing did not seem to make any difference is the zoom slider on map view.
Also not sure if its my imagination but the brightness level seems higher than the go app on recorded video (i have a ND filter) and on ev adjustment.

Just got a set of FPV goggles today so hope to try the 3D stuff in a day or 2.
We plan to add terrain elevation on Google Map in Mission Planner, which might help a lot for planning and flying around hills/mountains.

Zoom Level (in Camera mode Navigation Map): Adjust the auto-zoom level to ensure Home, Pilot, Phantom indicators fitting well in Navigation Map per your preferred zoom scale. Once you fly out a bit and change zoom level, you will understand how it works though the default value usual works fine.

FPV Camera shares most of camera settings with DJI GO, and those settings are stored on aircraft camera regardless which app to use.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav