FOUND: Generic Android Tablet that WORKS (So far..)

Reaction score
I've had problems from the very beginning with the dji vision app and my Nexus 4.
Started with 4.4.2, Upgrade push went to lollipop 5,0 and then 5.01, no joy.

I've tried several generic tablets, with no luck.
I have the dreaded dji app crash on motor start.

I purchased a Dragon Touch E70 Phablet. It has has a 7" IPS Screen, Phone and GPS; (no compass), Android 4.4.2.
Very nice kit for the money. $100 @ Amazon (Below)

Now, the dji app works, including G,S.

I also just installed this kenargo's "Ultimate Flight" app and it delivers.
Everything seems to work great.

I do have the issue with the home point reporting too far away,
I understand it's a discrepancy between Google Maps position and the bird's GPS fix. Ken has a fix in the works.

Attachments

• Dragon Touch E70.jpg
    Dragon Touch E70.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 890
Thanks for the info. Question, how bright is the display outside compared to your nexus? I purchased a Neutab and after all my post in ref to GS not working with it I found later that the display was just too weak for use outside.

I'm using my iPad Air right now (also not too bright) but want a dedicated android 7" to use and keep in my case.

I cannot answer that, as I live in the northeast U.S., and have not been outside for 3 weeks. ;-)

I can say that the IPS technology is much clearer and seems brighter than my Nexus 4. The colors are also better.
The available viewing angle is far superior.
Side by side comparison TA and IPS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYaXRKQJMxM

I have built a hood for a previous tablet, so I'm not too concerned. I do expect it to be much better outside, though.
The hood is cardboard, and flips up out of the way. It works so well, I'm making a plastic one.

Attachments

• hood.jpg
    hood.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 672
My problem is trying to find a good 7" Tablet with a compass. Don't you need the compass to correctly display the heading on the Vision App's radar in the bottom left of the video feed? The compass on my HTC One (M8) is not reliable. So, I purchased an Asus MeMo pad 7" to use for flying but it does not have a compass either.

CapnBob said:
I believe the radar uses your device's GPS location, and the bird's compass.
I could be wrong. Anyone?

While I could easily look that up (too lazy) - I'd almost guarantee that's correct + it also uses the phantoms gps coordinates (obv)

The radar needs 3 components
1) It needs to actually know where the bird is to put it in relation to you on the radar
2) It needs to know where you are, so it knows how far away it is (which is either your device in dynamic home point mode, or the bird's home point at take off- which may not even get set properly if you don't bother to wait for 6 sats, so perhaps it is the device after all in every situation...not sure)
3) the compass on the phantom to orient the arrow.

I would imagine Google's Nexus 7 (2013) would be the best option since Google tends to include everything under the sun in their tablets for maximum compatibility.

This tablet seems to work just fine minus the compass.
Having said that, all testing has been done indoors (We're buried under 7 feet of snow here)
And, I have not had any appreciable distance between me and the bird.

ilovecoffee said:
CapnBob said:

While I could easily look that up (too lazy) - I'd almost guarantee that's correct + it also uses the phantoms gps coordinates (obv)

The radar needs 3 components
1) It needs to actually know where the bird is to put it in relation to you on the radar
2) It needs to know where you are, so it knows how far away it is (which is either your device in dynamic home point mode, or the bird's home point at take off- which may not even get set properly if you don't bother to wait for 6 sats, so perhaps it is the device after all in every situation...not sure)
3) the compass on the phantom to orient the arrow.

I would imagine Google's Nexus 7 (2013) would be the best option since Google tends to include everything under the sun in their tablets for maximum compatibility.

Hmmm, that's interesting. I mentioned the compass because I raised a concern in the following thread back in December:

viewtopic.php?t=31607

I randomly have an issue with the heading triangle spinning in circles as time. I believe I included in a screen recording in the thread posted.

As a result, I setoff to find a device with a better/accurate compass to see if it would solve the problem. I have not dealt with the issue lately although, I do see it spin when using my HTC One M8 on occasion. I will pay attention when I start using the tablet to see if it resolves the issue. If what you are saying is true, then the compass should not be an issue.

Thanks for the Feedback.

CapnBob

Does the tablet have an HDMI output? I have FatShark goggles which require HDMI and the best tablet I found is the Apple Mini for the goggles. They work great together but as everyone knows the IOS application has limitations and I would like to us ilovecoffee's version for long missions.

rbhamilton said:
I think I've seen that setup somewhere before...

320x240.jpg

Wow, and to think you were able in short order reference the segment of the Star Trek series referring to the view finder used by Spock. Impressive! Are you a trekkie? : )

CapnBob said:

POI, nothing definite, but I have been using a 2013 Nexus 7 W/ Android version 4.4.4 and have found the radar directional icon within the DJI camera displaying incorrect information occasionally. The issue was resolved by calibrating the device GPS using a generic GPS App found in the Google store. I simply select calibrate on the App then rotate the tablet thru various axis points as instructed, similar to the compass calibration method used on the Phantom.
Hope this provides some additional info.

I think you mean calibrate the device's compass. I've used 3 different apps to do that and I still get the occasional rotating heading triangle in the radar.

djsydvicious said:
I think you mean calibrate the device's compass. I've used 3 different apps to do that and I still get the occasional rotating heading triangle in the radar.

Correct, the Nexus 7 is equipped with a GPS chip, but the compass is what may require calibration to the best of my knowledge.

CapnBob said:
yes, compass on the phone/tablet is needed.
I had to sell cheap china phone w/o copmpass and buy new one

I tried the digiland ($39 at BestBuy) and it worked to some extent. The video feed would jerk a bit on movement, but the main reason I took mine back is that the screen developed a burn in from the sun hitting it while using it outdoors. This went away, but I was afraid it wouldn't always go away. This tablet also has a plastic feeling screen that I feel would scratch easily. I looked at the ones at walmart today, and am thinking about trying the 8" version. It is $83 and has a faster quad core processor and higher resolution graphics as well as 16GB memory, which should help.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj