Found Another Crack @115.5hrs..

Reaction score
...Found Another Crack @115.5hrs.., emanating from battery bay, right-side, almost the exact same spot as
left side, I now believe this to be a weakness in the structural design rather than a defect in the plastic...
upload_2017-3-13_14-23-54.png

upload_2017-3-13_14-24-12.png

IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

I'd drill a tiny hole at the end of the crack to avoid its "spread." Then I'd carefully fill the hole and crack with a marine product called "Marine-Tex" (white). Expensive, but you can buy a small package for less than 20 bucks. Use care inside battery compartment to remove any excess to ensure later proper battery fit. All this may work for you unless you go for warranty repair, I suppose.

Reactions: d4niven
WOW... and I thought DJI had this problem worked out on the P4!
GEEZ.... will they ever get this problem sorted out???
Sorry to hear of your problem though and I hope you get the spread of the crack fixed!

I'd drill a tiny hole at the end of the crack to avoid its "spread." Then I'd carefully fill the hole and crack with a marine product called "Marine-Tex" (white). Expensive, but you can buy a small package for less than 20 bucks. Use care inside battery compartment to remove any excess to ensure later proper battery fit. All this may work for you unless you go for warranty repair, I suppose.
...Found Another Crack @115.5hrs.., emanating from battery bay, right-side, almost the exact same spot as
left side, I now believe this to be a weakness in the structural design rather than a defect in the plastic...
View attachment 78356
View attachment 78357
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

Spotted a very tiny crack close to the motor mount on my P4 after over 250 hours. Contacted DJI and received a Case #.
8 days after sending the P4 to CA (from the Caribbean) I received a brand new quad including Tx shipped by UPS.
No charges

http://i66.tinypic.com/b6dd1l.jpg
I have the same crack in my Phantom 4, but is smaller of this. My drone is perfect in all other parts and have not crash or hard landings. So I sure is a weakness in the structural design. My Phantom 4 has 3 month and fly very fine.

Last edited:
View attachment 78356
View attachment 78357
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net
...Ive already taken care of both cracks, '..to each 'is own..' but I don't think drilling a hole in this case, with this plastic, in this area, would be a good idea.. also am familiar with MarineTex, used it many moons ago (80's), great product.. no way i'd send my drone to DJi for Repair/Replacement again '..to each 'is own..' also all 3 of my batteries have heat-stress crack(s) at/near the indicators...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

Last edited:
You can drill a hole holding the bit in your fingers without drill pressure. Slow but not forceful.

I wonder if storing the phantom without the battery would relieve some of the stress from the battery bay?

Hmm need to check out my P4 for this when I get home.

I noticed last few battery changes had quite a 'reassuring' click into place even though pressing the release buttons.

...I like the solution of drilling holes, albeit not ideal.

...Ive already taken care of both cracks, '..to each 'is own..' but I don't think drilling a hole in the case, with this plastic, in this area, would be a good idea.. also am familiar with MarineTex, used it many moons ago (80's), great product.. no way i'd send my drone to DJi for Repair/Replacement again '..to each 'is own..' also all 3 of my batteries have heat-stress crack(s) at/near the indicators...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net
stop drilling a small hole at the very end of the crack prevents it from cracking further. it is the preferred method, even on large aircraft this is the norm !

Reactions: WWI Flying Ace
I'm just happy I didn't have to fight DJI for replacing my P4 with that battery bay crack like that and for the smaller crack on an arm. April 12th will be my one year mark, so no further replacements after that.

Don't know your jurisdiction but in the UK if it cracked again outside of warranty you'd have a very good claim under the Sale of Goods Act.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav