Found a tall tree

Reaction score
I got a little to comfortable with my flying couple evenings ago, figured out the local trees were indeed a bit taller than 20M. Clipped the tip of a tree and crashed in vines/limbs at around 25MPH.

The sun went down before I could get a visual on the P2V so using Find my Drone or whatever that app is I got close. Took about 2 hours to locate and it was at the top of a tree sitting around 20M up. I had to leave it for the night and figure out an approach the next day.

I wake up and it's sprinkling with more rain on the way, was able with the help of a friend to climb this massive tree (luckily it was a Bodark tree so it was very strong). Lowered the P2V down with a string and off to the workshop to assess the damage.

Damage that I know of:
Props are toast (to be expected)
One motor (same one I've had problems with before) lost the retaining ring and thrust washer)
Battery did not eject or anything like that so it should be fine as I've since charged it.

I'll put power to it today and check the electrical but looking at the guts of the P2V everything looks to be in good working order and It stayed dry.

Little disappointed the video of the crash was corrupted, I was able to repair it but lost the last 30 seconds or so of the video.

Anyway, thought I'd share... my experience.

Lost just the very part if the video that you wanted to see, right?

It seems like the camera could deal with that situation better.

Exactly, the part I wanted to see was gone. I'd imagine this is due to unexpected power loss while recording. It would be nice if it had a small cell battery to allow it to at least wrap up the video. I've read that the gopro video's have the same issue.

About 4 days after I got it mine spent a night 40ft up a tree in the rain before being blown down the next day. A bit of green on the props, a small black mark on the battery fuel guage, the camera hanging off 2 of the 4 dampers and... that was it! The battery had powered itself down when it hit low voltage protection sometime overnight. I checked there wasn't any obvious moisture inside, charged the battery up and she's been flying like a champ ever since.

In my case I completely underestimated the inertia when trying to change direction of 1.2kg moving through the air at almost 30mph downwind. I was used to flying indoor micro quads that can change direction in a split second. It was a good lesson and I'm now much more familiar with the flight characteristics and when you need to make your direction changes to keep within a given radius.

You always learn more from the ones you walk away from than the ones you don't...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20