Forum Newbie.

Reaction score
Hi Forum members. I'm an old guy new to the forum and fairly new to the world of drones. I'm a former private pilot (single engine land with instrument rating) but due to health and family issues gave up piloting myself 25 years ago. That said I was recently introduced to the world of flying drones and have become obsessed with them, to the point of studying for and passing the FAA commercial drone pilot test. I'm not sure what if anything I'll have an opportunity to do with the license but figured getting it was a step in the process of becoming a good drone pilot.

What really brought me here was using the B4UFLY application. In my area I'm bordered by FRG and ISP airports but the app shows to heliports that I believe no longer exist (not shown on sectional charters and one associated with a business that no longer exist). It all the years I was flying extensively in this area I never heard of them, there was no record of them on sectionals but the app shows the area between FRG and ISP as controlled airspace due to this two heliports.

Any feedback on the real deal would be appreciated and I look forward to chatting and learning a lot on this forum.

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to the forum! :)

In my area I'm bordered by FRG and ISP airports but the app shows to heliports that I believe no longer exist
You could go check it out in person?

Welcome to the forum! :)

You could go check it out in person?

I have checked it out in person and no heliports. If they ever existed (I live 1/2 mile from one) there have never been any operations from them in the 35 years I've lived in the area. I would also think that if they really existed they would be on the FAA sectional chart.

Maybe I'll have to check with the FAA directly although I'm not sure if they manage the database.

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . :)

Just an FYI that while the heliports were operational at one time currently the LAANC system says you don't need special authorization for operations in the areas surrounding them.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4