Fortescue Falls and Fern Pool, Karijini National Park Western Australia.

Really interesting and beautiful.
And a pretty good flying too.
How can you fly into that canyon and obviously have the signal all the time?
How can you see the drone around those curves?

I know what you mean Andy9 there were some serious distances involved and some deep ones as well. Please let's not start an old boring war about line of sight. Just be sensible and safe. I was surprised Andy9 how well I was able to keep in contact with the Phantom as well. There are a few reasons why I was. So as to help some with connectivity issues.

As a matter of course I use a cheap set of parabolic reflectors. I started using them all the time because my antennas got wobbly, but I am pleased I always use them. They also help secure a light but difficult to manage tablet, lucky to have a Samsung Tab 6 which is awesome bit of kit for many uses. So the setup takes a few more minutes but it ensures my antenna is always pointing towards the drone. The parabolic reflectors make a definite difference to your connectivity, I have tested them on and off countless times.
I am a bit weird, news eh , in that I always use a Lume Cube, so I can very quickly see where the drone is. So, I could pop back up when needed. But the biggest factor in this case I think, was the big open sky with no physical or electromagnetic interference, even if I was in a slightly hilly or built up area, I would not have kept such excellent contact.
But da** thrilling to do, such seriously good fun. Don't we all fly for those moments of sheer joy? And I was safe, I do not believe I put any person in danger. And I was well within the laws of the area and country.

Believe it or not I think, Western Australia is one of the most advanced places on the planet for being able to fly in places where you cannot in other countries/states.
That is worth a war.

Well not a war but a mature and measured debate for the sake of improving a better flying world for us drone pilots. But if any want to discuss that, please go to my website first. And no, I don't have a counter on it or ever check how many go there by other means.

Reactions: MTO
You are lucky there. Here in Europe it is constantly a problem to fly in most interesting sites as there are usually too many people around or is forbidden to fly.
No I didn't ment to make any comment on VLOS as it would be stupid in such circumstances. And because of that I wanted to know how the flight was conducted.
Open sky as you said OK but when you went down was there still enough of sky? Obviously yes as you said.
Is this Lume Cube visible well in the bright sunny days? I have two of those self adhesive strobos which are very good at low light condition but not at sunny days. Luckily the white Phantom do it well.
Wish you many such nice flying and video making.
Cheers!

When I found out you can fly in WA national parks, I was so happy, like a little boy with his favourite toy for Christmas.
The Lume Cube for me is an absolute must. I can see it, at 1,500 lumens, from a Kilometre away on the brightest Australian day in summer. I know most would far more value the extra 5 minutes or so without it, but I gladly sacrifice the longer flight time. I am aware that this is still out of VLOS. The strobes are good but useless in bright midday sun, I do use them at dusk or dawn sometimes, especially that the Lume Cube lasts 3 full batteries “on 100%) and I have 4.

I do feel though that it will not last forever. If we can demonstrate how useful drones can be to National Parks, then we may hold on to it.

One of the rangers took me out today in his 4X4 and showed me where he wants data on weeds. I have a lot to learn about weeds and identifying them with a drone. I will post a separate request for help here.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl