Forget to press record?

Reaction score
OK, I can't be the only one! I get so excited about flying that 50% of the time I don't realize that I haven't recorded the flight, usually when landing! Did it twice yesterday with potentially the best footage I've had to this point. So disappointed!

Make yourself a pre-flight and in-flight checklist. Then you won't forget any important steps.

Yes, compared to flying a regular fixed wing r/c airplane, I feel I need Valium ever time I take my Phantom up. Then I realize if I took the Valium I'd forget even more important pre-flight steps.

harbourside said:
sidebox said:
Make yourself a pre-flight and in-flight checklist. Then you won't forget any important steps.

I did that, but I left it at home...:)

Get a red circle sticker and put it prominently on the controller. When you see the red dot it will remind you to check record status.

Been there done that.... lol the worst part was I had a bunch of ground station waypoints set and was focusing on controlling the camera the entire time, never even looking at the quad. :oops:

Ohh, I remember to press REC alright. My thing is forgetting to put the MicroSD card back in the Phantom after dumping the previous flight's footage. I press REC while it is in the air the next day and it says "No SD card..." I keep the original 4GB as a spare in the bag now.

Embraer said:
Would anybody be willing to share their checklists for this beginner?
Here is mine. Some considerations:

• I rarely use prop guards anymore. However, I leave the first one on there so that I check for screws in the outermost holes, just to be sure.
  • In addition to the S1 and S2 switches, you may want to check that the antenna is up.
  • After turning on the Phantom battery, you may want a reminder to recalibrate the compass in case you have traveled a long distance since the last use.
  • Along with "connect to wifi extender," you may want a reminder to start the FPV booster if you use one.
  • The initial hover is important. I suspect that many crashes and flyaways could be avoided if folks checked for stability before launching into the stratosphere.
My checklist is laminated in plastic, and it sits on top of the Phantom in the backpack case, under the helipad.

My checklist is this... all mental of course:

Turn transmitter on, turn wi-fi booster on, turn Phantom on, go to networks in cell phone, wait until Phantom is connected, go to Vision app and select camera. I don't need no stinkin' written checklist! Oh, yeah, I've forgotten to put the SD card in as well! Wait! I'm the one who always forgets to hit record! I did it again today. I was near some railroad tracks and as luck would have it I was in the air when a train went by. Too bad I wasn't recording. There will be another time.

GRWeldon said:

Turn transmitter on, turn wi-fi booster on, turn Phantom on, go to networks in cell phone, wait until Phantom is connected, go to Vision app and select camera. I don't need no stinkin' written checklist! Oh, yeah, I've forgotten to put the SD card in as well! Wait! I'm the one who always forgets to hit record! I did it again today. I was near some railroad tracks and as luck would have it I was in the air when a train went by. Too bad I wasn't recording. There will be another time.
Another thing about a checklist is that you can go back and double-check everything. That's a good idea when people who are fascinated with your "drone" start asking questions and make you lose track of where you were.

I forget to press record again after changing the camera settings, very easy to do, since the first touch just takes you out of settings.
But I always remember to check it AFTER I make a nice pass. :lol:

Is mine the only one which automatically starts recording when powered on?
Sometimes when I'm stuffing around testing control and RTH I have to stop it so I don't record minutes of low level stuffing around.
I understand if you're running the go pro model but on the Vision+ I can't imagine not knowing if you're recording or not.

GRWeldon said:

At least you didn't forget to hit record to get the boat full of babes in bikinis! OK, it was only two girls, but they were definitely wearing bikinis. One of my most regretted "record button omission" flights.

I know the feeling.
During the last holiday i knew that there was a steam train running on Saturday and Sunday in Azpeitia. ( LINK here ) As i tought it would be a nice idea to capture it on its route with the V+ it would make some wonderful video.
As i made plans on Friday and seen the time schedule i prepared everything. It was a perfect plan and everything worked out.
I was in a narrow gorge so the first issue was satellites. Checked on site with that special app on the tablet for the sats, not more then 4.
Ok so in ATTI, wind blew from the direction the train was comming, that came in handy so i could let it drift as the train approched, the bird faced the oncoming steam train and i let the bird move aside because i didn't want it in the exhaust because that pure steam. it would overhaul the bird and almost on the rear i would turn the bird around slowly and chaise the train and then ascent when it was getting to dangerous to follow it. My excitement was a 100% as everything fell into place and everything went as i had dreamed the night before. That was a epic video.
When i decided to call " CUT " i pressed the record button, but instead of ending it i started recording because i forgot to initiate it in the first place. I know it would have been a superb video. As i always think positive and i am a realist, i've done it and i know i can do it and actually i don't need the recording to show of. It was a nice experience.

Just as the new version of the app shows a nice gauge of battery capacity left, maybe there should be something that really is huge and easily seen when in record mode. Lets face it, the Vision+ is all about it's video capability, so it should be a major part of the app. Maybe have a frame around the entire screen in green when the video record mode is off, and red when it's on.

dannytroy said:
Just as the new version of the app shows a nice gauge of battery capacity left, maybe there should be something that really is huge and easily seen when in record mode. Lets face it, the Vision+ is all about it's video capability, so it should be a major part of the app. Maybe have a frame around the entire screen in green when the video record mode is off, and red when it's on.
Or when the altitude goes above 3 meters, the little movie camera icon starts flashing, so as to say, "Press me!"

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31