Forced firmware update

Reaction score
I read and article that said dji is going to force firmware updates to combat people hacking there drones. Is this already happening? I'm still a firmware behind and don't ever want to update. I'm also on a older app version and don't connect to wlfi on my iPad mini when I fly so haven't go the message about having to update the app that happened a while ago. So I'm wondering now if I updated the app or connected to wifi when I fly and then forced to update the app would I then be force to update the firmware in the drone?

Keep it the way it is. You do not have to update the firmware. You can update the app. Once you update, you will need to log in to DJI while connected to the internet once. Then you should be fine.

I read the release notes of the latest firmware and it says something about having to be connected to the internet while you fly. That would pretty much kill using a wlfi only iPad...

You only have to be connected to log in. After you do that once you should be fine. You do not need to be connected to fly. I am still flying with 1.8.8 AC firmware and the latest app. All that is doing is updating the NFZ.

So you only have to log in once ever? Or once every time you fly? If your running a wifi only iPad out in the field that would be hard to do without first tethering to your phone and logging in then unteathering and then flying..

So you only have to log in once ever? Or once every time you fly? If your running a wifi only iPad out in the field that would be hard to do without first tethering to your phone and logging in then unteathering and then flying..
You can check out the video below or search for one of the many threads about the restrictions since it was announced at the end of May. The video is not a Phantom, but you'll still get the overall idea. The video has been posted here countless times, so may have already seen it. If so, sorry in advance. Cheers!

You seem to be a bit confused. As I was saying all this app update is doing is updating the NFZ. You only need to connect and log in once and just with the app through the internet. No AC or RC connection needed. You can do this at your kitchen table. After that, close the app and you can fly like you always have. Yo do not need to be connected when flying. It is possible however, that if you are away from a connection and a new version is released that could be an issue.

Reactions: Oso
I think he's talking about this article. I read it too and makes me worried.
We Talk UAV
Not the first time Iv'e seen that one either. They are all over the place, but for the time being it should not be an issue. Even with the very new P3P and P3A firmware releases ( 1.11xxx), that would have been a "forced" update it that were the case. Myself and many, many others are still flying just fine with older firmware and the newly released app. This could change however, only time will tell. But as far as I am concerned, I am not touching any new firmware with a 10 foot pole until DJI hands me the pole. Just my thoughts.

I read and article that said dji is going to force firmware updates to combat people hacking there drones. Is this already happening? I'm still a firmware behind and don't ever want to update. I'm also on a older app version and don't connect to wlfi on my iPad mini when I fly so haven't go the message about having to update the app that happened a while ago. So I'm wondering now if I updated the app or connected to wifi when I fly and then forced to update the app would I then be force to update the firmware in the drone?

I mentioned this in another reply to a different message, but the last time I flew I was forced to do an update. Is it true, DJI is doing this? I couldn't fly until I did the update!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4