Forbidden

Reaction score
I was reading the DJI Phantom Training Guide today, and in BOLD at the very beginning there were 3 major cautions. One was: "DO NOT fly the Phantom within a radius of 2 meters. FORBIDDEN" Can anyone explain what this means, and why?

Is it possible the signal strength from the transmitter can become an issue? (Signal clipping at the Rx)

Lawyers. Don't fly close to you so you don't chop yourself up with the blades. (Ok - not just lawyers - that is common sense too ;) )

dkr77573 said:
Is it possible the signal strength from the transmitter can become an issue? (Similar to clipping in an amp)

Might be. The signal strength does effectively drop a little bit in very close range like that, but I don't know if it's enough to potentially cause connection issues.

Ya, I'm just thinking back to my EE days, staring at signals on an o-scope. If you increase the amplitude, the signal gets clipped. From a command and control perspective, I'd think that might render the signal unrecognizable.

dkr77573 said:
Ya, I'm just thinking back to my EE days, staring at signals on an o-scope. If you increase the amplitude, the signal gets clipped. From a command and control perspective, I'd think that might render the signal unrecognizable.

All I can say for certain is that the RSSI shows a noticeable drop when that close, but it hasn't dropped below 70% or so. I've definitely had the transmitter within that range of the Phantom while flying and never had any obvious control issues.

dkr77573 said:
Is it possible the signal strength from the transmitter can become an issue? (Signal clipping at the Rx)

it is possible. my personal experience does not bear this out. i routinely catch the p2v from a hover above my head rather than land it. this can be done safely by approaching from above the head and keeping one hand on the throttle. we prefer to have the spotter catch it, but i have done it several times solo. we find this much safer than landing in most circumstances.

rotordan said:
dkr77573 said:

it is possible. my personal experience does not bear this out. i routinely catch the p2v from a hover above my head rather than land it. this can be done safely by approaching from above the head and keeping one hand on the throttle. we prefer to have the spotter catch it, but i have done it several times solo. we find this much safer than landing in most circumstances.

Same with me.

I'm pretty sure they are saying don't fly it too close to you, because it can chop you up pretty bad.

w0by said:
I'm pretty sure they are saying don't fly it too close to you, because it can chop you up pretty bad.
I think you are correct, in the manual it says the GPS deviation is 2 meters (6') Horizontal, meaning it can drift 6' in any Horz direction even in GPS lock, so if you are inside that range and not watching closely a puff of wind could blow the quad into you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.