For those following the Garage / Model Workshop build ... P3P

Reaction score
Now into building second level walls ...

Weather -2C and grey day !

I should have put filter on to sharpen contrast ....... but too late now !!

Nigel

Reactions: dronex123 and Oso
Now into building second level walls ...

Weather -2C and grey day !

I should have put filter on to sharpen contrast ....... but too late now !!

Nigel
It's coming along nicely. What's the estimated completion date? I'll bet you spend a lot of time in there. Will it have a loo and a fridge?

Reactions: dronex123
We are taking it a bit slower with weather etc.

Completion about 6 - 8 weeks.

Full facilities will be included : Bar, seating, toilet, etc.

It looks like I will spend most of my time in there once built !!

Nigel

Reactions: Oso
I gather u are in US ? , you guys have big property’s . Looks nice around there with the lakes . Good luck with the shed looks too bloody cold to do anything outside [emoji2]..

I gather u are in US ? , you guys have big property’s . Looks nice around there with the lakes . Good luck with the shed looks too bloody cold to do anything outside [emoji2]..

USA ??? No ... Latvia in Baltics .... ex Soviet state.

The water is the River Venta, the town is named after it .... Ventspils (means Town on Venta) ...

Today is -6C and we expect a week of this .. maybe colder.

Nigel

My bad sorry ..

Why sorry ?

As to size of houses ... most people here had to live in apartments... and still do ... soviet dictated size. Once they could decide for themselves - of course they wanted massive individual houses. Diring the first few years of independence - prices were low compared to other countries ... and land was relatively cheap.
But once EU came along - that all changed. Land / houses are still cheaper here than example UK ... but for average person here with the typical salary, its difficult. Many houses were started, but now just part walls or foundations stay for years waiting owners to have money to continue.

My House is a 100yr old 'forest houes' built for 4 families. It still has 4 doors inside which gave access to each part. When I bought it - we combined the 4 sections and removed some walls.
The land it stands on is 3.5acres (about 14,000sq.m) .... largest single house residential land in the town.

For approx 20yrs it was a KGB Interrogation house and prison. The cellar being a waterlogged 10 man jail. The water was intentional - to prevent persons sleeping on the floor etc.
There is a sister house approx 200m along from us and that was the dormitory of the KGB interrogators.

Another period of the house was as an Orphanage. But dates unknown.

While removing floors and walls - we started to find odd bits of newspapers from 1900's ... and also a few photos. One shows a Latvian SS soldier .... Latvia was occupied during WW2 and the choice was Red Army or German Army ... all depending on where you were !

The house sits on the deepest / widest part of the river and we quite often have 'ringside' view of SAR / Fire Fighting Heli's doing practice water pickups / drops ...

Nigel

Wow that’s quiet a history , it would almost make e feel uneasy living there , lam in Australia and our housing is of varying sizes also most common being around @500 spmtr average in city’s . Iam in Perth and seeing water bombers is quiet often , hot summers and never seen ice . Thanks for sharing Nigel , cheers Mark..

IMG_1517837056.702731.jpg

9th Feb update ...

Nigel

Then check out this one :

P3P and winter trees ...

Same flight - just cut out into two different vids.

And this taken at one of our club get togethers a while back ...

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4