For iOS: Litchi or AutoPilot

Reaction score
Which one, and why?

Are there any others I should be considering instead?

Plan to use with iPad Air 2 and P3S.

Horizon Nano QX
Symantec X5C-1
P3S

Reactions: prendy35
Reactions: CornPopper
Autopilot would use the barometric pressure readings form your iPad Air 2 to keep the bird at a set height from you if you had it set to follow you. It would detect your change in altitude and stay above you. Without this, your bird would rely on less reliable gps altitude readings.

Can we add 'airnest' into the mix?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Autopilot would use the barometric pressure readings form your iPad Air 2 to keep the bird at a set height from you if you had it set to follow you. It would detect your change in altitude and stay above you. Without this, your bird would rely on less reliable gps altitude readings.
I have been looking at AP and litchi and have not made up my mind yet. I do have one question that may seem dumb but I have not seen it asked before. In AP when you are ready to launch a mission and you are in there app (I have a iPad mini 4 with cell) they say you can start on your own get up to hight and then start your mission. How do you do that if your are not in DJI GO? I would guess with the sticks down and in? Just a little thing that keeps me up at night. LOL

Reactions: Propagandy
In either Litchi or AP you can fly your quad normally until you flip into F mode and start your mission. All the RC controls work the same (once in mission some don't operate or behave differently, depending on the mode you chose).

I see the AP app as really excelling at chasing a moving target (another drone, your RC or a phone) and at trying to keep the camera focused on a target. I would say that Litchi is easier to use for waypoints.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I also think you are right about your assessment of the two. I believe that I will go with AP because of the options in the waypoint and what I understand of focus. Thanks again.

Reactions: egoldy
Few quick thoughts (and realize that while I've tried every software out there, I'm definitely an Autopilot fanboy). I'm also focusing on iOS as Litchi has an Android version that Autopilot does not yet have.

1) Airnest falls into products like DronePan and others that might serve a single function well, but are not deep as far as other functionality. Airnest allows you to draw a line, follow a path and I believe focus on an object. Autopilot and Litchi (and I'd add FPV Camera into this list) can do a lot more.

2) FPV Camera and Litchi have UIs that seem more similar to the DJI software. They seem easier because they simply don't do as much as Autopilot does. That being said, I think that Autopilot is as easy to use (if not easier) than the others if you're willing to get out and fly with it a few times. I've also done a few "Autopilot 123 Videos" (more to come hopefully once I have some time) that show how with 2-3 clicks, you can do some amazing things.

3) Autopilot is the more flexible software.. It doesn't limit your trigger points to waypoint locations. You can set up focus trigger points at any point during the path. You can turn the camera / video off or on at certain points during the path. You can smoothly transition from one focus point to the next (not the immediate flip from one to the other at a Waypoint).

4) Autopilot is the safer software in that it's the only one that I know of that can adjust to the altitude of the followed object. I think someone told me that Litchi does this too - but I haven't seen or tried it. The DJI software (including the new software with the P4) definitely does not.

5) Autopilot offers more modes and options within those modes based upon what you're trying to do. In particular, cruise mode allows you to freely fly your P3 while Autopilot controls not only the gimbal but yaws the aircraft to maintain focus. This is sort of what ActiveTrack or Vertical is doing based upon GPS location (which is more accurate and fast).

6) Autopilot offers many highly unique features - most notably Airspace that no one has. Litchi has "a magic leash" that allows you to focus/follow a single iPhone or Android device. Via Airspace, you can focus / follow multiple iOS devices, focus on ALL of them, and even focus / follow another quad copter.

7) There is additional functionality that makes Autopilot unique when you use it - most notably how it can use the joysticks in powerful ways. You can set it up to use the right joystick to control the gimbal. You can do an improvised version of dji's course or home lock so that when using Cruise mode, you can maintain a straight path as the aircraft yaws in free flight (this is normally problematic as when the aircraft yaws, it changes what is "left" or "right"..) You can set direction based upon "absolute" or even "device" which changes the aircraft based upon how the tablet is faced.

In end, buy them both. I have purchased almost all of them - i like having them as tools to pull out. Litchi currently allows for panorama's at waypoints - something is coming, but not yet there with Autopilot.

Just practice them in an open field, get used to how they work and have fun with them.

i recently downloaded Litchi on my iphone 6. Im having a problem with the app tho.
When im ready to fly, i open the app and let it connect to my drone.
its gives me the 'safe to fly' message. but when i take off, i can barely control my drone. it just doesn't listen to the stick input well.
when i push the stick up to ascend, it crawls up sooo slow. and the left-right movements are so rough and jerky and delayed by about 1-2 seconds.. when i let it hover, its kinda shakes in place, like it doesn't get enough power, even the motor noise is different, they make like this buzzing sound. When i land and connect with DJI Go app, it flies just fine. Ihave tried 4 different times, same result. I just dont feel safe flying with Litchi right now, until i figure out whats wrong with it... Anyone else had this issue?

i recently downloaded Litchi on my iphone 6. Im having a problem with the app tho.
When im ready to fly, i open the app and let it connect to my drone.
its gives me the 'safe to fly' message. but when i take off, i can barely control my drone. it just doesn't listen to the stick input well.
when i push the stick up to ascend, it crawls up sooo slow. and the left-right movements are so rough and jerky and delayed by about 1-2 seconds.. when i let it hover, its kinda shakes in place, like it doesn't get enough power, even the motor noise is different, they make like this buzzing sound. When i land and connect with DJI Go app, it flies just fine. Ihave tried 4 different times, same result. I just dont feel safe flying with Litchi right now, until i figure out whats wrong with it... Anyone else had this issue?
That's odd. Control should be between the remote and the aircraft; the app shouldn't matter at all to the flight characteristics.

I use an iPhone 6 with both Litchi and DJI Go with a P3S and see no difference in behavior. Other than the obvious difference in features between the two apps.

Good luck getting to the bottom of this. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: SZNJ732
Few quick thoughts (and realize that while I've tried every software out there, I'm definitely an Autopilot fanboy). I'm also focusing on iOS as Litchi has an Android version that Autopilot does not yet have.

1) Airnest falls into products like DronePan and others that might serve a single function well, but are not deep as far as other functionality. Airnest allows you to draw a line, follow a path and I believe focus on an object. Autopilot and Litchi (and I'd add FPV Camera into this list) can do a lot more.

2) FPV Camera and Litchi have UIs that seem more similar to the DJI software. They seem easier because they simply don't do as much as Autopilot does. That being said, I think that Autopilot is as easy to use (if not easier) than the others if you're willing to get out and fly with it a few times. I've also done a few "Autopilot 123 Videos" (more to come hopefully once I have some time) that show how with 2-3 clicks, you can do some amazing things.

3) Autopilot is the more flexible software.. It doesn't limit your trigger points to waypoint locations. You can set up focus trigger points at any point during the path. You can turn the camera / video off or on at certain points during the path. You can smoothly transition from one focus point to the next (not the immediate flip from one to the other at a Waypoint).

4) Autopilot is the safer software in that it's the only one that I know of that can adjust to the altitude of the followed object. I think someone told me that Litchi does this too - but I haven't seen or tried it. The DJI software (including the new software with the P4) definitely does not.

5) Autopilot offers more modes and options within those modes based upon what you're trying to do. In particular, cruise mode allows you to freely fly your P3 while Autopilot controls not only the gimbal but yaws the aircraft to maintain focus. This is sort of what ActiveTrack or Vertical is doing based upon GPS location (which is more accurate and fast).

6) Autopilot offers many highly unique features - most notably Airspace that no one has. Litchi has "a magic leash" that allows you to focus/follow a single iPhone or Android device. Via Airspace, you can focus / follow multiple iOS devices, focus on ALL of them, and even focus / follow another quad copter.

7) There is additional functionality that makes Autopilot unique when you use it - most notably how it can use the joysticks in powerful ways. You can set it up to use the right joystick to control the gimbal. You can do an improvised version of dji's course or home lock so that when using Cruise mode, you can maintain a straight path as the aircraft yaws in free flight (this is normally problematic as when the aircraft yaws, it changes what is "left" or "right"..) You can set direction based upon "absolute" or even "device" which changes the aircraft based upon how the tablet is faced.

In end, buy them both. I have purchased almost all of them - i like having them as tools to pull out. Litchi currently allows for panorama's at waypoints - something is coming, but not yet there with Autopilot.

Just practice them in an open field, get used to how they work and have fun with them.
where can I find your video on Autopilot?

Look for two sets:

Here are ALL the how to videos: Autopilot Tutorials - YouTube

Here is a new playlist that has 2 of the "Autopilot 123" videos that I started working on to help people see how easy Autopilot is to use: Autopilot 123 Videos

Let me know what you think.
You did a very good job. You need to do more. I have AP and have been studying it waiting for the weather to break and try it out. I really like the focus aspect. I am have built some way points but again waiting for some weather good enough to fly in. (rain, rain and more rain)

Reactions: egoldy
That's odd. Control should be between the remote and the aircraft; the app shouldn't matter at all to the flight characteristics.
If the RC is in P, then yes you are correct. If the RC is in F and the app has entered virtual stick mode, then no, it is up to the app and there may be latency. This is how cruise mode works, but it doesn't have the problems you are talking about with Litchi.

If the RC is in P, then yes you are correct. If the RC is in F and the app has entered virtual stick mode, then no, it is up to the app and there may be latency. This is how cruise mode works, but it doesn't have the problems you are talking about with Litchi.
SZNJ732 had said he was using the sticks, so I assumed that meant P or A mode and flying manually. Maybe he was in F and running a mission, and fighting against the virtual stick's throttle/elevation? Not sure how that is supposed to work. I know you are able to vary heading/yaw and speed during a Litchi mission using the sticks.

Hey Guys, thanks for your help!
My controller was in P-Mode. Do you think its possible that Litchi changed it to a different mode? It showed "WAYPOINT" in the top left corner.
I agree with Ignis, the stick control should be between RC and the Aircraft. Unless Litchi got involved and was overwriting it somehow. But there was a huge difference in response to controls between Litchi and Dji Go app. Like when i push left stick up in Go app the drone shoots up very fast and very responsive. With Litchi it was so sluggish.. Maybe i can make a video next time.
And i didnt mess with any settings. I wanted to do a couple of test flights before running any planned waypoints missions, just to make sure i was familiar and comfortable with the app. Obviusly i wasn't so i didn't get that far. Like i can tell something is not right...
It sucks because i spent $15 on it, and i read a lot of positive reviews about the app. I just understand whats causing it to behave in such way. Maybe its something stupid like a setting set up :confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers