Footage with Distance info Included

Reaction score
Hello all,
Is there any way to include real time distance information (or GPS info or anything of that realm) into a Phantom 4 footage? I need to record a future highway path with that information included in the footage to help the construction designers identify any potential problem. Any help would be greatly appreciate it.
Best
Nawi Films

You can use Dashware with the telemetry data from your Phantom - if you can get it to work. There is a problem with the current release on some Win10 installs, new version due in Feb

You can use Dashware with the telemetry data from your Phantom - if you can get it to work. There is a problem with the current release on some Win10 installs, new version due in Feb
Thanks Paul. I have never used Dashware. Will look into it. I have a Mac platform, I hope there is not an issue. Will post the results as soon as they become available.

I just noticed this construction discussion and I
fly a Phantom 3 Pro.
don't know why or how
a telemetry containing file is automatically produced when I fly
the file can be read by a Mac program called
VLC, a free software program.

Not sure if the P4 makes this file, nor do I know what turns on or off the creation of the file on my P3. A Mac does not natively appear to read this file and VLC is one of those can opener programs that opens many different file types.

I just noticed this construction discussion and I
fly a Phantom 3 Pro.
don't know why or how
a telemetry containing file is automatically produced when I fly
the file can be read by a Mac program called
VLC, a free software program.........

I'm pretty sure that's the new video player software I downloaded and installed on my PC. I'll have to check into it to see if I have or can view a telemetry file. Is it located on the SD card along with the media files? Also, is there a file extension to look for?

Reactions: Rick_x
File extension is .SRT, which I think is a subtitle track. I have my Phantom create .MP4 files and it automatically creates the .SRT file. I copy both files to a folder on a external hard drive. I drag the .MP4 onto the VLC application on my dock. VLC loads and plays the .MP4 and the .SRT file and displays the subtitle track overlaid on the .MP4 file. The subtitle file is synchronized with the .MP4 file.

At least on mine, it shows the gps location of "Home", date and time, the current gps location of the Phantom relative to the video, the barometer reading, and essential camera settings.

Again, this is on a Phantom 3 Pro and a Mac. I must say I don't know if iMovie or Final Cut Pro will open and display this file. I keep the file as documentation of my flight to show if needed I was flying in FAA guidelines/regulations. I have not needed this file for construction documentation as I do not know the accuracy of the information.

I would think VLC has the means to combine the two files and export a single .MP4 or .MOV file with the telemetry information interlaced with the video.

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 9.54.05 AM.png

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers