Follow me won't work

Reaction score
I'm new with this unit. I have an IPad Air. When I get the phantom 3 professional in the air about 30 feet I am in P mode. My lights are green, the GPS signal strength has full bars or usually a reading of 13 or more. When I switch to follow me and hit apply for the F mode a warning sign says signal strength is poor but all GPS indications still say I have excellent strength. What am I doing wrong as I have never been able to make this mode work. I have also tried my IPhone with the same results. Thanks for any help

I'm new with this unit. I have an IPad Air. When I get the phantom 3 professional in the air about 30 feet I am in P mode. My lights are green, the GPS signal strength has full bars or usually a reading of 13 or more. When I switch to follow me and hit apply for the F mode a warning sign says signal strength is poor but all GPS indications still say I have excellent strength. What am I doing wrong as I have never been able to make this mode work. I have also tried my IPhone with the same results. Thanks for any help
Is your Air a wifi only version? If so, it doesnt have GPS so the Phantom has nothing to follow.

During Follow Me, the Phantom follows the GPS location of the mobile device attached to your remote controller (RC). If you do not have GPS at the location of your RC, then you can't use Follow Me with the DJI GO app. There are alternatives to the GO app. They are not as accurate as using GPS, but they might work well enough for your needs.

The iPhone does have GPS, so it should work with the GO app if its new enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe and Vzr1
Why wouldn't my google maps be adequate as it is a GPS. When we test this here at the house both phone and pad have internet service and it still doesn't work

Where is the active track as where we typically go there is no cell service as it is far from any tower

Sorry I thought there was another Go app. I have always had the DJI go app installed as that is what I use when flying.

FYI I tried the android version of follow me, and it didn't work, I got the quad to move at one point then it gave up, during follow me i hid the screen and when I launched follow me mode the quad took off like a bat out of hell towards some trees, dam good job I had the reflexes to switch it to P mode which stopped it dead in its tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Why wouldn't my google maps be adequate as it is a GPS.
Google Maps is an app, not a GPS receiver. If your iPad Air is a wifi only version, it does not receive data from GPS satellites. Only cellular versions of iPads contain the required GPS hardware to receive data from GPS satellites. Most Android tablets have the required GPS hardware.

Maybe if you read this post it will be clearer for you.

When we test this here at the house both phone and pad have internet service and it still doesn't work
The internet does not replace the absence of GPS receiver hardware, though as I noted earlier your iPhone should work if it's new enough. Of course, getting a GPS signal indoors is often difficult and it's not recommended to try Follow Me indoors if that's what you were doing.

When you are ready to try with a GPS enabled device and the GO app, follow the directions in this video:

Last edited:
Reactions: Loz and JoBe
Where is the active track as where we typically go there is no cell service as it is far from any tower
Active track is available on third party software such as Vertical Studio and Litchi.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
I think you'll find it's also part of the GO app as that is what I have used with my iPad Air with no GPS. With it activated, just line the subject up on the screen, tap on them till you get a green box around them and it will track them.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

If your iPad does not have cellular service and therefore GPS functionality, get a Garmin GLO. It links to iPad via Bluetooth and provides GPS service that is needed for follow me.

I tried to search the App Store and couldn't find the Garmin Glo app. Can you send a link. I do have Garmin Kit app and I use it for tracking my location. I'm wondering with apps are compatible with the Phantom

It is not an app. It is a piece of hardware about the size of a cigarette lighter. Go to Garmin web site to see details.

Found it and ordered one. Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll get this thing following me yet

Found it and ordered one. Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll get this thing following me yet
You can also read the link I sent you yesterday. It has info about external GPS units including the Garmin Glo and others as well as what you can expect while using them. Good luck.

I have been using my GLO for a year and I find it is more accurate than the GPS in the iPad with cellular sevice (GPS functionality). I turn mine on and link it to the iPad via Bluetooth and put the GLO in my shirt pocket. My only problem has been to remember to take it out of my pocket and turn it of when I am finish flying. My wife says that is because I am a dumb s____.

Reactions: Numone

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj