Follow me mode

Reaction score
i'm getting this message "your gps location is not accurate enough to start follow me mode". any ideas how to boost signal or is it even possible?

That message refers to the GPS accuracy of your phone or tablet device, not that of the P3. What device are you using?

I tried it in a vehicle, and the GPS to my phone would not allow a "follow me" scenario. It didn't error, it just would not follow properly.

i'm getting this message with 12 satellites today. And yesterday, I was in a wide open field on a pretty clear day

Not good ... what else could be wrong?
Looks like Litchi is not getting right GPS info from the tablet then.
Not sure why, and how to fix it ... anything in OS or Litchi settings that you can try?

i'm getting this message with 12 satellites today. And yesterday, I was in a wide open field on a pretty clear day
How did you determine the Nexus (vs. the P3) is getting 12 satellites? I only have the iOS Litchi version that does not yet support Follow Me. This is from the FAQ section of the Litchi Android documentation:

8. Follow mode fails to start with error: "Your GPS location is not accurate enough to start Follow mode", why?
This error means that your mobile device GPS is not accurate enough, not to be confused with the aircraft's GPS signal. The "Accuracy" number at the bottom left of the screen shows how good your mobile device GPS signal is. If it is red, you will see this error as your mobile device is not able to determine a precise enough location. Many things can affect your mobile device GPS signal such as weather conditions, your location and environment, etc. In most cases it should be relatively easy to get less than 10 meters accuracy which is the default requirement for Follow to even start. Note that you can adjust this minimum requirement with the "Location accuracy" setting. Setting it to a higher value will allow for a bigger margin of error for the mobile device GPS signal, but the Follow movements may be less precise.

I'm having the same problem probably because I have a Nextbook which I'm pretty sure doesn't have a GPS. That explained I'm still wondering why Litchi needs the GPS location from the device at all? All of the videos I've seen seem to indicate that Litchi is using the camera video to control the Follow function. Sometimes I even see the pilot set the controller on the ground and walk away showing that the camera is following the object in the video, not the controller or the device. So my question is, why does Litchi need any GPS data from the device when it's using the visual to do the Follow? Thank you so much for any answer to my question!

...So my question is, why does Litchi need any GPS data from the device when it's using the visual to do the Follow? Thank you so much for any answer to my question!
Your P3S does not use visual for Follow Me. That technology is available on the P4, not the P3S. P3S uses the GPS from the tablet. Follow me in a weak GPS from the tablet is dangerous because it may read a fix considerably different from where the tablet is actually located, and the AC will then fly to that false location at a high speed. You should always use Follow Me in a wide open area with your AC set at plenty of height.

Thank you very much for your response! Here is a video that claims (at the beginning) to be a Phantom 3 Advanced using Litchi.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Clearly the subject being followed does not have the controller with him. So you're saying that the header on this video is erroneous... which I can believe because the user interface is different from my version of Litchi. So what is the setup in the video... a Phantom 4 using Litchi? Does a P4 even need Litchi to do a Follow Me? Sorry, I'm easily confused. By the way I have a P3A. Sorry I didn't mention that.

Last edited:
Here's another video that claims to be a P3 using Litchi where the subject being followed is clearly separate from the controller.

Same user interface as the other video... but different from mine.

Why are the user interfaces different than mine and why do these videos claim to be P3s which can't follow using video... why does it look like the drone is using video do follow?

Litchi Follow Me for the P2 and P3 series does not follow the controller. It follows the mobile device.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Let me take back what I said above in post 14. I don't even have a P3. I have a P2V and I have Litchi for P2. Apparently the new Litchi (which I don't have) does provide tracking similar to the P4.

That's the cool thing about Litchi is it gives you some of the technology of the more advanced aircraft. Hence, I have some P3 advantages that I can use for my P2V, and you apparently have some P4 advantages that you can use with your P3.

Sorry for the confusion.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Here's another video that claims to be a P3 using Litchi where the subject being followed is clearly separate from the controller.

Same user interface as the other video... but different from mine.

Why are the user interfaces different than mine and why do these videos claim to be P3s which can't follow using video... why does it look like the drone is using video do follow?
Litchi also uses "magic leash" where litchi can follow another device like smart phone that had the app installed and tracks that device.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using PhantomPilots mobile app

@Dan H .. Follow me and Track and follow are 2 different things. The Track and follow does use visual tracking but the follow mode only uses GPS coordinates of your mobile device to follow you . The visual tracking is only available on android AFAIK.

from the litchi site
:

Track
In Track mode, Litchi uses state of the art computer vision algorithms to track a selected object on the video preview and keep it in the frame.
You have the choice to either fly the aircraft manually while Litchi keeps the object in the frame, use the Orbit feature to instruct the aircraft to Orbit around the tracked object, or start Follow where the drone will autonomously follow the tracked object.
The aircraft rotation (yaw) and gimbal pitch angle are controlled by Litchi as well as the gimbal yaw for Inspire 1.
Enter the Track mode by pressing the Flight Mode icon at the top left of the Litchi screen. Select "Track".

Warning Because Litchi decodes the video, runs the algorithms to track the object and renders the video, all of this in real-time, a high performance mobile device is required. Be sure to close all background applications and screen recorders before using Track. Video lag will kill tracking.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers