Follow Me Mode GPS Error

Reaction score
Hello,

I was just trying to test out the follow me feature in the DJI app and received a GPS error. Now, I've use the orbit feature with no problem, all green on GPS yet it says "device or app doesn't support GPS", not the exact words but close enough if someone has seen this.

At first I thought, oh, maybe it doesn't want GPS on but after seeing a couple tutorials, they were doing it the same way.

Any idea why I am getting this error? It prevents the feature from even opening up to try.

Thanks,

Eric

Hello,

I was just trying to test out the follow me feature in the DJI app and received a GPS error. Now, I've use the orbit feature with no problem, all green on GPS yet it says "device or app doesn't support GPS", not the exact words but close enough if someone has seen this.

At first I thought, oh, maybe it doesn't want GPS on but after seeing a couple tutorials, they were doing it the same way.

Any idea why I am getting this error? It prevents the feature from even opening up to try.

Thanks,

Eric
Maybe your mobile device is not GPS enabled so there is nothing for the Phantom to follow.

Reactions: kirkeric
Orbit uses AC GPS, follow needs GPS on the object to follow.

Even if your display device has GPS it can be a little picky. Your device needs to send the GPS location to the transmitter and the transmitter then sends it to the Phantom. It's not a perfect system.

Thanks. Well, GPS is definitely enabled on the device. Is this itchi app I am reading about any better?

Any work around to this? I'm hoping to do an aerial car shot for a movie tomorrow and was counting on this thing.

Thanks

Maybe your mobile device is not GPS enabled so there is nothing for the Phantom to follow.

Thanks. Well, GPS is definitely enabled on the device. Is this itchi app I am reading about any better?

Any work around to this? I'm hoping to do an aerial car shot for a movie tomorrow and was counting on this thing.

Thanks
Use Litchi Leash. Get a second smart phone (android/iPhone) with GPS enabled and Install Litchi Magic Leash on this. Then pair the devices up and leave the second smart phone on the dash of the car to get maximum sat counts. This means the Phantom no longer follows the controller and you have clear view to the skies for GPS. If you sat in the car, the GPS will be half blocked

Another option is to use a more powerful device like a note 4 or 5 and use the Latest Litchi Version with the Track mode. This will use the phones processor to follow a selected device. It works but its a bit shady, especially if there is minimal contrast in colour.

Thanks. Heck of a way to do it. I have two tablets actually because at first I thought it was a tablet problem when I first tried the DJI app a few months ago. Turns out it was nothing but a firmware issue.

Now, I purchase this Litchi app for $25. Just tried it and says it can't get a strong GPS signal. I sure would like to know how these guys in the tutorials, simply launch the baby and it works. A bit frustrating because I just kind of expect it to work as advertised.

I'm going to try this leash thing but it says they must both have internet capability, which naturally you really wouldn't have out on some backroad (except perhaps the phone cell signal).

A little worried this won't work.

Eric

Use Litchi Leash. Get a second smart phone (android/iPhone) with GPS enabled and Install Litchi Magic Leash on this. Then pair the devices up and leave the second smart phone on the dash of the car to get maximum sat counts. This means the Phantom no longer follows the controller and you have clear view to the skies for GPS. If you sat in the car, the GPS will be half blocked

Another option is to use a more powerful device like a note 4 or 5 and use the Latest Litchi Version with the Track mode. This will use the phones processor to follow a selected device. It works but its a bit shady, especially if there is minimal contrast in colour.

Thanks. Heck of a way to do it. I have two tablets actually because at first I thought it was a tablet problem when I first tried the DJI app a few months ago. Turns out it was nothing but a firmware issue.

Now, I purchase this Litchi app for $25. Just tried it and says it can't get a strong GPS signal. I sure would like to know how these guys in the tutorials, simply launch the baby and it works. A bit frustrating because I just kind of expect it to work as advertised.

I'm going to try this leash thing but it says they must both have internet capability, which naturally you really wouldn't have out on some backroad (except perhaps the phone cell signal).

A little worried this won't work.

Eric

Check your device and make sure it has GPS and use a GPS app to see how many and the strengths of the GPS.

And yes - Litchi and leash require 3G/4G data on both devices as it uses a server to pair the devices. This function of leash is no good in desolate places with little or no reception.

Well, I installed the leash on my cell phone and successfully paired it.

So, if I understand this then, the phone with the leash (my cell phone), so long as it has signal, the data will flow ok. Correct?

Next, from a procedural standpoint. Do I then, with the Litchi app running on the tablet connected to the remote and linked to the drone, I should then be able to click "Follow Me" and it should work but at that point, following the phone?

If I set the phone up on my dashboard, with the remote sitting on the seat, I should be good to go?

Thanks,
Eric

Check your device and make sure it has GPS and use a GPS app to see how many and the strengths of the GPS.

And yes - Litchi and leash require 3G/4G data on both devices as it uses a server to pair the devices. This function of leash is no good in desolate places with little or no reception.

Correct. But test this in an open field without the car first. Find its limitations like heading/course mode and how the sticks work relative to subject. You can lose your P3 if you dont know how follow/focus/track mode works.
And learn how to turn off follow in the case of emergency.

Thanks.

Yeah, I've figured out how that mode kind of hijacks things a bit. At least it goes in to pretty well a hover mode while figuring out how to turn it off. lol

One of my first orbit tests I found out the hard way that it wouldn't go below like 9 feet and it was difficult to get down but figured out I needed to exit the mode first to regain full control.

So, yep, understand that. All I really intend to do is get about 3-5 seconds of good aerial footage while I pass down a slightly winding road with trees. I'm looking to see the vehicle sort of pop in and out of view thru the trees.

Eric

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20