Follow Me feature "too far away"

Reaction score
Went to try out the follow me feature today and after being above 10 meters, and having it positioned the way I wanted, I pressed Apply. Every time it keeps telling me the aircraft is too far away, even if it is directly over my head.

The tablet I am using is the Nexus 9 and the app says the tablet has a strong GPS signal.

What am I missing?

Is your aircraft directly above you or in front of you as you press Apply? I ask because from what I have read the reception between your remote control and the aircraft is at the lowest level when the aircraft is directly above you.

I position my Phantom 3 Advanced so the flat surfaces of the remote control antenna are facing the Phantom, and that has kept my communication errors to a minimum.

If you download the DJI Manual (http://download.dji-innovations.com...en/Phantom_3_Advanced_User_Manual_v1.0_en.pdf) and go to Page 27 there is a diagram that shows the best way to position the antenna in relation to your aircraft.

I hope this helps.

Same problem, no matter where it is it won't follow. Keeps saying to far away. It worked before, but now since the last firmware update it stopped. Any other ideas?

I have the same problem. I may have found a reason for it today but not a solution yet. I have 2 Samsung note 3 phones. One I currently use and the old one I was using as a monitor for my p3. The Dji go app on the old phone uses Here Maps and it always shows my remote position about a mile or so from where I actually am. I tried it with the phone I currently have service on and for some reason, the app on that phone uses google maps and it shows my remote position correctly. Both apps are the same version. It has to do with Here Maps. I don't know how to get the app to use google maps all the time. That would appear to me to be the fix.

As I was typing this, I checked the app versions on both phones to make sure I wasn't mistaken. They are indeed the same version, however, this time the phone that connected to google maps before now connected to Here Maps instead and showed my position wrong. Argg! Anyone know how to get the app to keep using google maps?

My S7 does the same. Google maps pops up, but it's zoomed out so far I can't tell the location
Then at some point it switches. The follow me feature worked before with the map on here map. I've tried in the same located with the hight the same and it just won't work. It just comes up aircraft to far away. I wish DJI would address this issue.

Sent from my SM-G935T using PhantomPilots mobile app

1486354578985.png

I have the same problem. I may have found a reason for it today but not a solution yet. I have 2 Samsung note 3 phones. One I currently use and the old one I was using as a monitor for my p3. The Dji go app on the old phone uses Here Maps and it always shows my remote position about a mile or so from where I actually am. I tried it with the phone I currently have service on and for some reason, the app on that phone uses google maps and it shows my remote position correctly. Both apps are the same version. It has to do with Here Maps. I don't know how to get the app to use google maps all the time. That would appear to me to be the fix.

As I was typing this, I checked the app versions on both phones to make sure I wasn't mistaken. They are indeed the same version, however, this time the phone that connected to google maps before now connected to Here Maps instead and showed my position wrong. Argg! Anyone know how to get the app to keep using google maps?

Mine seems to start on Google then switch to Here. Google only shows a very distant view and when I try to zoom in its just goes blury. Some have said that's what here map does, but it says Google on the bottom. I also read that the device needs to be in portrait mode rather than landscape mode. It's raining today, so I haven't had a chance to test that, but the drone does point 90° away from me in follow me mode. I will post my findings when I test it out.

Ok, I got it working, but only in portrait mode with Here maps. I had Google eariler today and it wouldn't work in either portrait or landscape mode.

I use my I pad 12.9 and my I phone but its way better with I pad then phone. Try go up pass 30m because my one works so good after 30m but most people say 20m but I go 30m and up because most drones are set to beginner mode. Also what I do when I get mine up in the air I wait a few seconds and then right knob on the top I drop to the bottom to switch modes and then drop it to the top again and then the bottom do that a few times and you'll notice the connection is way more awesome echo next to the satellite even faster also helps me to get more bars to the satellite see I cut a lot of trees in my area and noticed a big difference before I could only go 5 miles but now went 10 miles. If you check out a app called wish it has a lot you can get and why by 10 of boosters and other posters that you can use even when she can put on your car also different type of controllers that can also be used for the DJI phantom. I know the price would look too good to be true but it really does work I live in Hawaii and its Mail to me I get there things that I buy from them 100% it is real. Make sure you read it sometimes they'll be a namebrand and sometimes it will be cheaper brands but it's not just for drone. They have all kind of things, check it out guys it's free app and I hope it helps. They also have batteries you can get there much cheaper then going through the maker but make sure you look good because there are different types.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Good news! The new DJI Go update (3.1.3) has apparently fixed my "aircraft too far away" problem. As you can see from my screen shots, the first one (before the update) shows my position about 1/2 to 3/4 mile to the west of where I really am (black "X" is my real position). This is why follow me wouldn't work for me. After the update (2nd picture) my position is correct. Unfortunately I was not able to fly today because it is too windy here but I did drive around for about an hour with the app on and it kept my position correct the whole time so I believe follow me will work now. When I get another day off of work I will test it out.
20170210_133302.png
Screenshot_2017-02-10-13-49-00.png

Good news! The new DJI Go update (3.1.3) has apparently fixed my "aircraft too far away" problem. As you can see from my screen shots, the first one (before the update) shows my position about 1/2 to 3/4 mile to the west of where I really am (black "X" is my real position). This is why follow me wouldn't work for me. After the update (2nd picture) my position is correct. Unfortunately I was not able to fly today because it is too windy here but I did drive around for about an hour with the app on and it kept my position correct the whole time so I believe follow me will work now. When I get another day off of work I will test it out. View attachment 75861 View attachment 75862

Still not working on my P3A. GPS shows me about 200m away from actual location. Both google & Here show correct location when ran independantly. :-(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers