Follow me/External GPS Question

Reaction score
I have a non-GPS iPad mini. If the P3P relies on the fix GPS for the Follow Me feature, is it possible to use an external GPS like the Bad Elf XGPS150 as a Magic Leash?

Last edited:
I understand but do you still have to carry the RC around with you? or say you want to have it follow someone else?

The RC transmits your location to your Phantom. So, it's not possible to attach a GPS receiver to someone else and have your Phantom follow them.

Scenario; I want to take my dirtbike out and do some riding in the sand pits. So I have to strap my RC/mini iPad/external GPS on to me to do this so I can use to follow me feature?

Right. I don't think the Phantom is the right platform for this task.

Scenario; I want to take my dirtbike out and do some riding in the sand pits. So I have to strap my RC/mini iPad/external GPS on to me to do this so I can use to follow me feature?
That's correct, yes. I do agree with you and posters in a few other threads that it would be outstanding if we could do as you noted.

Seems a little redundant to me to have a feature like follow me when you have to carry all that gear with you .

Reactions: ActionDrone
Yes, actually Follow sounds useless if we cannot use a different GPS tag...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is how follow me should work imho.
Hope that DJI will work it out in the next update.

I have a non-GPS iPad mini. If the P3P relies on the fix GPS for the Follow Me feature, is it possible to use an external GPS like the Bad Elf XGPS150 as a Magic Leash?

I don't own an ipad to test this but provided the external GPS is talking to the ipad and the ipad is relaying that info to the P3 then it should work. I recall you need to start the GPS app and run in background. The external GPS does NOT have to be Glonass, it can be any provided it tell the pad where the external GPS is. If the device is a class 1, then it should have 100m line of site range. Make sure the external gps has a high refresh rate.

Reactions: Oso
I don't own an ipad to test this but provided the external GPS is talking to the ipad and the ipad is relaying that info to the P3 then it should work. I recall you need to start the GPS app and run in background. The external GPS does NOT have to be Glonass, it can be any provided it tell the pad where the external GPS is. If the device is a class 1, then it should have 100m line of site range. Make sure the external gps has a high refresh rate.
This is correct.

Think of it as in this simplified diagram (click to enlarge):
Simple Ext GPS diagram.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers