Follow Me - 2 People

Reaction score
I want to film a buddy walking in follow me mode, but I want to be the one with the controller. Is there a way where you can tell the quad to follow a second person without them holding the remote. Maybe a phone in his pocket that is linked to the quad. Anyone have any ideas or is this technology that is not ready yet for the phantom3 pro

I want to film a buddy walking in follow me mode, but I want to be the one with the controller. Is there a way where you can tell the quad to follow a second person without them holding the remote. Maybe a phone in his pocket that is linked to the quad. Anyone have any ideas or is this technology that is not ready yet for the phantom3 pro
It would work if he had a bluetooth GPS device in his pocket that was connected to the mobile device on your RC. Of course you would then be limited to the range of the bluetooth so at that point you may as well just manually follow him.

I'm looking for a close shot so I think bluetooth should be able to connect. Do you have a link to show how you would set that all up?

Thanks for your reply btw!

I'm looking for a close shot so I think bluetooth should be able to connect. Do you have a link to show how you would set that all up?

Thanks for your reply btw!
There are lots of threads you can find here about external GPS units. Most are related to using a wifi only iPad with no GPS of it's own. If a device does have GPS of it's own, you'd have to tell your device to use that external data. Exactly how that is done I don't know, but I have seen people comment on how to do it here on the forum.

This diagram is again based on using a wifi only iPad, but you can still see the idea. Your friend would be at position 2 with the external GPS in his hand or pocket. You would be at position 3 with the RC. Again, limited by the range of bluetooth.

Simple Ext GPS diagram.JPG

Simple, the Litchi app has a Magic Leash feature, it let's you tie another device to the controller and you can tell the bird to follow that device.

Reactions: Reed L and Oso
Also, that second device needs to maintain an Internet connection. Also, the P3 needs to stay connected to the controller. Lastly, your friend will then be leading the P3. The P3 can more easily run into something.

Vertical can track another person without the need for any device, its currently in development Vertical - EPIC Aerial Filming. You fly the Phantom and it keeps the camera pointed at the person you're tracking.

Autoflight Logic on iOS has something called airspace, Litchi on android has magic leash. Both of those require a second phone or tablet. Litchi is also available on iOS but I am not sure if magic leash is implemented as yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20