Foil tape on wifi module question

Reaction score
I just replaced my wifi module with the new version. This version has many holes in it for cooling. I disassembled it to coat the circuit board with Corrosion-X, to waterproof it. I fly almost 100% over water, so I like to waterproof as much as I can on the Phantom. So far the waterproofing treatment has saved my quad several times after hitting the water. Anyway, I elected to leave off the gold tape that surrounds the module. The tape actually covered all the holes that were in the side of the module, reducing airflow. I flew two good flights today (over water) and didn't notice downside to the tape removal. Does anyone have some "inside information" on whether the tape is really needed. I know it's supposed to shield the 2.4gHz against the 5.8gHz, but that may or may not be the case. Is it possible it's there to keep it tamper-proof, voiding the warranty if removed?

Also, I have the booster app for the wifi and used it on my last module and it worked quite well. Should I chance it with the new module. I can't say for sure whether that was the cause of the last module going bad, but it's a possibility.

The tape is to help with the interference from then EMI stray signals. If all is working and your getting good results with both the video through you tablet or phone and good equal distance from then RC then you may not need it. Usually the reason that has been noted with the modules going bad has been heat related. The newer TX with the holes is the mod to correct that issue. Right now if it ant broke don't fix it.

The tape is to help with the interference from then EMI stray signals. If all is working and your getting good results with both the video through you tablet or phone and good equal distance from then RC then you may not need it. Usually the reason that has been noted with the modules going bad has been heat related. The newer TX with the holes is the mod to correct that issue. Right now if it ant broke don't fix it.
Does the phantom 2 vision+ V3 Have the new module in it?

Yes, I'll monitor my flights and see if I encounter any problem. Hopefully if I do see anything negative it will be on the 2.4 side, and not the 5.8. BTW, the newer modules now have a heat transfer thermal pad added. Hopefully that, and all the tiny holes, will keep them from going bad.

If you are handy and still have a working original module, i would disassemble it and drill a slew of tiny holes. Of course , havin a hobby type moni drillpress would make the job 100 percent easier. While its open add some thermal paste. There are youtube videos on how to add the paste.

I recently picked up a new wifi module as well.. Got a great deal on it, and am working on a project so the more the mirrier (plus this one to to use as my non-project one.. i.e I won't mess around with it, well except for the linux mods). It was also the newer v3 version which I was hoping for with the holes etc etc.. As it sounds like you've opened it up, from your observations does it look like we need to apply thermal paste like was recommended with the older version ?

I left it running for 10 mins (no motors on, just the quad on).. The lid was off and I know this isn't very scientific but it felt cooler than previous version did..

Not a big job taking it apart to apply thermal paste but if DJI has already done it, would rather not waste the 20 or so mins messing around..

Curious to hear what others have done... ??

I recently picked up a new wifi module as well.. Got a great deal on it, and am working on a project so the more the mirrier (plus this one to to use as my non-project one.. i.e I won't mess around with it, well except for the linux mods). It was also the newer v3 version which I was hoping for with the holes etc etc.. As it sounds like you've opened it up, from your observations does it look like we need to apply thermal paste like was recommended with the older version ?

I left it running for 10 mins (no motors on, just the quad on).. The lid was off and I know this isn't very scientific but it felt cooler than previous version did..

Not a big job taking it apart to apply thermal paste but if DJI has already done it, would rather not waste the 20 or so mins messing around..

Curious to hear what others have done... ??
Between the thermal paste, which was already applied, and the thermal pad, it's probably not necessary to mess with it. I added a dot of thermal paste, since I had it open, and I upset the paste they had applied. You should be ok to use as is. BTW, you're lucky to get a deal on the new version module. I searched high and low and couldn't get it for much less than 180.00.

Its normally around $280 AUD which Is just under $200 US.
Guy I got it off gave me a great deal as I had refereed a number of local Aus people who bought P2/P3's off him.

Now I've had time to read forums abit... my project.... well... **** P3 has ruined the purpose of it :(

Anyways thanks for the info :)
Think I will leave it alone in terms of hardware, will just mess with the linux portion. Set it up to auto increase the TX pwr and play around with the tcp/udp parameters.

Last edited:
Justin00, Can you give a link showing how to use Linux for a tx upgrade? I know they use Linux to beef up home wireless routers, but didn't know it worked on the tx. I used the Boost Up app yesterday and so far it hasn't fried the new module!

BTW, the new tx (remote) with the gimbal dial is super fine. Definitely a great upgrade. I was lucky myself with that, and snagged an open box unit for $60.00 on eBay. That was money well spent. Don't quite feel the same paying $180.00 for the wifi module.

The apps you can get do the same job as what I do to boost the wifi/RE tx power.. I originally purchased one of the apps then decompiled it to find the command they use to change the power level.. Only diff is with the app you need to set it after a reboot, were as with my changes the power settings are stored after a reboot.
There are a few other changes I've made which lets me run 640x480 @ 30 fps ( or what ever the highest of the 4 settings is) Previously I could not run the highest... Some people can, some cant... think part of the issue might be the device your using, im my case a Samsung S5. That with a combo of other changes gives you the increased resolution and you don't even up loosing much range, were as with stock settings (i.e you just select it from the list, if it even works you range would be severely limited)

I've got a couple of threads of some linux changes I've made... will dig them up later.. nothing really ground breaking, all though the 640x480 one (if it doesnt work for you) is kinda cool and has fixed the issue for a small number of people who tried it.

If your not to familiar with linux I don't recommend making any changes to the RE/Wifi unit... if you make a simple error it could cause the wifi module to not loadup and you'd need to buy a new one or send it back to DJI.

If you are familiar with linux theres a few sysctl parameters with tcp/udp you can also change.. but like I said nothing to ground breaking.

Had something reaaaaaal special in the works.. but abandoned that now due to P3 way 1000000000000x better range/quality and the ever decreasing number of P2 folks :(

Pretty annoying spending hours playing around making tiny changes and testing it out.. and then the P3 comes out and blows it all out of the water lol. such is life :/ I did have fun playing around though, some times more than flying hehe..

Will find threads in a bit and you can have a bit of a look..

BTW I had my wifi module and RE boosted to 17dbm / 50mw for around 8 months and didn't fry it.. and I was flying a crap load.. 150+ recharges on each of my 2 batteries. But I did apply artic silver thermal paste as was recommended by one the guys who I think fixs alot of quads.. was a thread about it maybe 4-6 months ago.. I forget.
Not going to apply thermal paste to the V3 version, well unless I get bored one day..

Reason I got a new wifi module was I was trying to be to clever and screwed up the power connector :/

*edit* btw just to confirm, the range extender (RE) and wifi module run linux.. oh and the camera does to ( 192.168.1.10) but the TX/controller doesn't as it doesn't need to be connected to the IP network everything else is on.

Last edited:
*edit 2* Thats a great deal on the controller you got.. I think they cost around $120-140AUD new these days so half price isn't bad at all.
Everyone who gets the controller says its one of the best mods they have gotten. I tried to make the dial myself and it worked flawlessly on the ground, but once in the air it had a mind of its own, which quite a few people said was same issue they had with the DIY version... was great when working... Can only imagine the proper controller with a dial that centers correctly would be great. Its on my 'to buy' list... that and new batteries.. was alot more on the list.. but no point putting much money into it; however odd $100 for a controller would certainly be worth it. and yeah definetly don't buy the v3 wifi module unless you actually need a new one..

*edit 3 :/* Here is one of my posts with some of the linux changes

Who can use 640x480 30FPS in DJI App.. possible fix | Page 2 | DJI Phantom Forum

Trying to find the ones that mention how to keep booster settings after a reboot and sysctl changes.

Last edited:
Justin, Nice work on those mods. I wish I was able to do that kind of programming. I am a computer school dropout, but that was back in 1971, and our computer was an IBM 360. My cell phone has a million times the computing power, as compared to that room filling computer. Anyway, I'm using the Epson Moverio glasses with the Phantom and the 640x480 setting does work, although I've been using the 320 setting at 30fps.

As far as cooling the wifi module, sounds like you have it covered. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I was thinking of adding a tiny cooling fan, mounted to the top of the case. With all those tiny holes it would really work great, pulling the hot air up from the unit. I could rig it up to power on when I turn the battery on. A fan that small will draw very little current, so no worries about draining the battery. I'll check it out the next time I have the shell off.

Off the main subject here, I'm new to this and am trying to more range. What is the booster app and where do I find it at. I fly p2v+

I would recommend this one

Vision+ Utility Pro - Android Apps on Google Play

They all cost a little bit of $$ but the advantage of that one is it comes with a data logger that has like 15-20 fields such a speed, height, battery level, amount of satteliites aquired and lots of other interesting things.

I believe some of the new apps to replace the DJI app can boost the power as well, so it might be better value as you get a new app plus the booster.. I'm still using the stock DJI app so not really familiar with any of the new apps; However I know some of them can do flight logging and can give you real time and more detailed power/battery info.. Perhaps some one more familiar with the new apps can recommend one that does it all.

*edit* oh yeah you need to be aware if you boost the power it heats up the wifi module even more and risk burning it out and having to replace it. I ran mine boosted without issues for months; however some people didn't have as much luck and burnt theres out quickly. Was also recommended to apply thermal paste to the older version of wifi module, but not sure if its required on the new version as DJI made some improvements..
You'll notice if you turn the quad on without the motors after a few mins it will start to get very hot.. thats pretty much the wifi module heating up (regardless if the power is increased or not)

Last edited:
So these are apps for the phone, and not software upgrades to the extender it's self. Am I correct? Is there a good one that anyone can recommend for ios system? Lastly how do u know when ur wifi extender is not working properly. Does it quit all together or slowly decrease the signal distance. Thanks everyone for the information

The booster apps are for your device.. if your familiar with Linux you can do it without the apps..

whats not working properly ? Could be the range extender (on the controller) or the wifi module inside the Phantom.. or your device.. all 3 sit in the same wifi network... the range extender is basically just used to sit inbetween your device/phone and the phantom to extend the range.. So your phone connects to range extender, and the range extender connects to the phantom.

Hello, I would like to treat my P2+ as you have to make it as water resistant as possible.

What are you using to coat the circuit board? Corrosion X? Where would I purchase this from?
Suggestions on applying this material, is this a spray or do I use a brush?
Where should I apply this to?

In advance, Thank You!
John

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4