Flytrex question

Reaction score
I want to get my GPS data at the end of flights, but I don't see anyway to capture them with the iphone, or download the data after the flight ends....So, I see Flytrex as an option, but from what I can tell on their website, you need to use the internet and their service to see your data.

The question is: Is there a way to download and use the Flytrex data without an internet connection? I spend months away from any decent internet.

I have attempted to contact them twice via their "contact us" email on their website, and I yet to receive any reply. Why do companies do that?

doug86 said:
I want to get my GPS data at the end of flights, but I don't see anyway to capture them with the iphone, or download the data after the flight ends....So, I see Flytrex as an option, but from what I can tell on their website, you need to use the internet and their service to see your data.

The question is: Is there a way to download and use the Flytrex data without an internet connection? I spend months away from any decent internet.

I have attempted to contact them twice via their "contact us" email on their website, and I yet to receive any reply. Why do companies do that?

If im not mistaken, that data is captured on an SD card..and the new flytrex core 2 actually has built in memory to record all your data if you forget your SD card. im waiting on my core 2 to ship now. I plan on getting dashware for onscreen telemetry overlay for the videos.

You can't do much with the RAW file that the Flytrex saves to the SD card. It needs to be uploaded to the Flytrex servers as a mission first. Once you have done that you can then download the data as a CSV or KML file to use off-line.

tizzl10 said:
If im not mistaken, that data is captured on an SD card..and the new flytrex core 2 actually has built in memory to record all your data if you forget your SD card. im waiting on my core 2 to ship now. I plan on getting dashware for onscreen telemetry overlay for the videos.

Yeah, I understand where it's all recorded. What i want to know is there a way for me to SEE and USE that data on my computer without connecting to their "service".

oh got ya..not sure. i was under the impression that the data could be retrieved without having to connect to any of their servers in order to do so.

xgeek said:
It needs to be uploaded to the Flytrex servers as a mission first. Once you have done that you can then download the data as a CSV or KML file to use off-line.

Rats....
other options? I would like to be able to find my altitude and GPS position after the flight. I can get that from JPEGs, but I mostly just take video.

doug86 said:
xgeek said:
It needs to be uploaded to the Flytrex servers as a mission first. Once you have done that you can then download the data as a CSV or KML file to use off-line.

Rats....
other options? I would like to be able to find my altitude and GPS position after the flight. I can get that from JPEGs, but I mostly just take video.

check out dashware if you havent. it overlays all that data on your videos.

tizzl10 said:
doug86 said:
xgeek said:

Rats....

check out dashware if you havent. it overlays all that data on your videos.

It does, but he will still need to upload the RAW data file to the flytrek server first and then download the CSV file to use in Dashware.

doug86 said:
xgeek said:

Rats....

You will have to load it to there sight first to get the info
once on there you can download it back as a goggle file or a data file

Attachments

• IMG_0486.PNG
    IMG_0486.PNG
    270.3 KB · Views: 1,024
doug86 said:

Hi,
as we are working on an offline decoding software of the *.fpv datafiles, it would be nice if somebody could provide me a sample *.fpv file from a western and/or southern GPS located flight, because we only have E and N datafiles yet. This is to verify our correct decoding of the flytrex data. as the *.fpv records UTC it would be nice if you add the real clock of the flight (about) to find out better time display.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I am not related to the flytrex company. Its a pure private project.

Great idea to decode the data. Let me know if any 46N and 6E data would help, because that is all I have for now.

Thanks lezav, but that is what we have as well. The flytrex decoding is done and working perfect with the sample files I have. It is within a universal vizualisation software also for chargers and other devices, and flytrex is just one part of it. The rollout is planned for next week or so, will keep you informed. Its also working with the new flytrex module as long as it is from NAZA, open is still to include also the decoding of the APM and Blade protocols - but be sure that is on the todo list.

just found this link below ... and tested it. It decodes FPV flytrex files into kml and csv formats.
http://www.flightsim.ee/for-developers/ ... pv-decoder

It is a small executable for windows . To use it, just unzip the downloaded file and place the unzipped file into one of your directories with the FPV file, then drag the FPV file over the copied 'decode.exe' file and it will produce files with CSV and KML suffixes (prefix will be same as your fpv file).
However, while the website will 'render' a point every 0.25 seconds, this program seems to produce a point every 5 or so seconds. In other words the route will not be as 'fluid'. But it might be a some help for those users who do not have internet access.

lezav said:
just found this link below ... and tested it. It decodes FPV flytrex files into kml and csv formats.
http://www.flightsim.ee/for-developers/ ... pv-decoder

It is a small executable for windows . To use it, just unzip the downloaded file and place the unzipped file into one of your directories with the FPV file, then drag the FPV file over the copied 'decode.exe' file and it will produce files with CSV and KML suffixes (prefix will be same as your fpv file).
However, while the website will 'render' a point every 0.25 seconds, this program seems to produce a point every 5 or so seconds. In other words the route will not be as 'fluid'. But it might be a some help for those users who do not have internet access.

Is the csv data in Imperial or metric units, or does this executable have the option to choose?
Love flytrex, but something i miss is the possibility to export to metric units from the flytrex site.

opassac, ok, if you like you may send me a sample log with at least W data (N is OK) via PM, will check and resend you a screenshot or csv / kml file for that file. Actually I am not authorized to give you the program itself, but the roll out will come soon !

Regarding the link from lezav it seems indeed a little rough and simple. I just tested it and I just can say wait another week or so and you will be positively surprized!

yes strange indeed that some of these companies still live in a non metric mindset. OK if the product is strictly US only I would understand. Anyway I have been slogging through Dashware.net 'personalized gauges' to make them metric. Dashware import flytrex csv files and the program can produce any gauge you want in any unit, tho most of the std ones are non metric.

lezav, you are right. flytrex records the gps u-blox velocity data, and they are cm/s or m/s values. So it remains to the individual software developer to convert them to their target units. We choose km/h and no feet or miles (yet). flytrex themselves offers a switch to metric values on their webpage. Lets see if here is realy a request for angloamerican units, maybe we can do some unit conversion, but that is not yet on the todo-list ;)

I would love to see a solution to that weird .FPV file system. I fly in rural Alaska a lot and do not live with access to the internet. It would be great to be able to convert the files to something useful at home.

Welcome to the Club! We only wait for the roll out, most of the problems are solved so far. Will give a note when it happened.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20