Flytrex Live 3G and T-Mobile

Reaction score
I've seen numerous posts around the interwebs about whether Flytrex works with T-Mobile. It does. And they will also allow you to use the 200MB/month for life plan with the device... which, for a 1 time charge of $10, basically gives you free Flytrex usage forever (unless you fly 8 hours/day for 30 days). Here's how I did it:

1) Go to a T-Mobile store and buy a pre-paid GSM sim card. Make sure you specify data, not just voice. Not sure if this matters, but better to be safe.
2) Go home. Don't even try to get the salesperson to activate it for you. Nobody really knows of the 200MB for life plan, and they'll need the Flytrex IMEI, which wont work (more on this later). Then they'll try to sell you a 1GB/month plan for $30/month, which is way overkill.
3) Call the activation number on the SIM when you get home and tell them you'd like to activate a SIM card for a BYOD pre-paid plan, they'll ask you which plan and tell them "200MB/month for life". If the rep doesn't know what you're talking about, tell him or her to look again, it exists.
4) Once they find the plan, they will ask for the IMEI of the device you're going to be using. Give it to them (it's in your Flytrex account settings, click the Live link, click Manage next to the device youre trying to register, its on the bottom of the page).
5) At this point, they will tell you that the IMEI you provided is for a cell phone and it won't work. The 200MB for life plan is meant for tablets, so just ensure them that it isn't a cellphone. I told them I was working on a hobby project that requires a GSM data connection.
6) If they push back, just make up what the hobby project actually is, or tell them what the Flytrex does, and that it will use far less than 200MB/month. Make sure you mention that there is no way to interact with the device, because they may want you to log onto the T-Mobile activation website from the device.
7) If all goes well (and it should), they will just plug in a dummy IMEI number for the Flytrex associated with the SIM card. I confirmed this by logging into the T-Mobile website and checking my account details. The IMEI is definitely not the one I gave them over the phone for the Flytrex.
8) That's it. They said it can take up to 2 hours for activation, but my Flytrex LED went from purple to blue to blinking green while I was still on the phone confirming that I got the plan I was originally requesting.

A couple of other things:

They will ask you if you want to add a credit card to the account. I assume it's to add credits to the account if you go over 200MB. Since I don't plan to, I didn't. I also didn't trust that I was signed up for the correct plan and didn't want to get charged if that were the case. I recommend not adding a card just in case. You can always add one to the account after the SIM is active and you can confirm the plan is the right one. I may end up adding one now, because it would suck to go over 200MB for some reason, then have a fly away and not have the Flytrex transmitting because you're over your data allowance.

Write down the phone number they generate for the SIM!! You will need it to log into the T-Mobile site and look at your account details and confirm you got the right plan, add credits, etc.

The 200MB/month plan is meant to be tied to 1 particular device. However, (and I have yet to confirm this but will when I get another Flytrex in 2 weeks) since they put in a dummy IMEI, the network will never know whether you put the SIM in another device, so I assume you can use the same SIM with multiple Flytrex's and essentially share the 200MB.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the post , may try this one. I am on H2O and it works well in my area on ATT. I am not sure about the coverage with T Mobile but I do hear complaints from my co workers. I have 2 Flytrex's and switching cards between the 2 works fine.

Well T-Mobile so far is a no-go for me. 2 stores and 4 phone calls with no one that seems to know anything.. They insist on the IMEI number and I tried the one in my Flytrex account and 2 other devices and they tell me its not eligible for the 200MB. I guess it depends on who you get on the phone.

Thank you bbfpv for the detailed step by step how-to!

PhantomPhreak, After I came home from Best Buy with my empty $10 card and spending 30 minutes in chat with H20 wireless, I'm going to try it again today.

Going to Newegg to get the pin number

Question is, where do we get the IMEI number when using flytrex?

PhantomPhreak said:
Well T-Mobile so far is a no-go for me. 2 stores and 4 phone calls with no one that seems to know anything.. They insist on the IMEI number and I tried the one in my Flytrex account and 2 other devices and they tell me its not eligible for the 200MB. I guess it depends on who you get on the phone.

PhantomPhreak said:

Did you tell the person on the phone that you're using the SIM in a hobby project that requires GSM data? I also forgot to mention that I told the rep there are people all over the country who have had no problem getting the 200MB plan.

Navman, you can find it here:

4) Once they find the plan, they will ask for the IMEI of the device you're going to be using. Give it to them (it's in your Flytrex account settings, click the Live link, click Manage next to the device youre trying to register, its on the bottom of the page).

Navman said:
Thank you bbfpv for the detailed step by step how-to!

PhantomPhreak, After I came home from Best Buy with my empty $10 card and spending 30 minutes in chat with H20 wireless, I'm going to try it again today.

Going to Newegg to get the pin number

Question is, where do we get the IMEI number when using flytrex?

PhantomPhreak said:

After you have linked your Live device, go to click the twisty under your name. Select account settings and click "Live" on the left side. Select your device then lick manage. The IEMI # is at the bottom. I bought my H20 at Best Buy had some confusion on setup but got it resolved by calling. The rep never asked for the IMEI #.

Thanks a million guys, spent so much time staring at a monitor I got eye strain.

I'm trying to get the $20/90 day plan with H20 AT&T due to the good coverage in our area.

Again, really apprecitate the guidance on this and hopefully it's helping others as well!

bbfpv said:
PhantomPhreak said:

Did you tell the person on the phone that you're using the SIM in a hobby project that requires GSM data? I also forgot to mention that I told the rep there are people all over the country who have had no problem getting the 200MB plan.

Yes I made up a few different stories with different reps. I even quoted your post and said we were working on a project together testing the device. At one of the stores the sales person scanned a phone for the IEMI # but could not find the 200MB plan. Going to give it another try today. Since it has been activated it is not returnable so I hope I can get it going.

PP,
If they can't even find the plan, then ask for someone else. It definitely exists and is even listed on the T-Mobile website, listed under BYOD or BYOT (bring your own tablet, not sure which one). Josh was the rep I spoke to, but with no last name not sure it will help.

You can't do it in the store, they will F it up. The store I went to actually signed me up for some other plan and when I called to activate, the rep "Josh" had to cancel the plan and sign me up for the 200MB one.

bbfpv said:
PP,
If they can't even find the plan, then ask for someone else. It definitely exists and is even listed on the T-Mobile website, listed under BYOD or BYOT (bring your own tablet, not sure which one). Josh was the rep I spoke to, but with no last name not sure it will help.

You can't do it in the store, they will F it up. The store I went to actually signed me up for some other plan and when I called to activate, the rep "Josh" had to cancel the plan and sign me up for the 200MB one.

I tried one last time on phone with rep. I had 2 IEMI#'s one from a Sprint Note 3, the other a Samsung 7.7 on Verizon thought maybe it work work. She couldn't get either one to work. She ran out of options not knowing what number to put in. She was told by a supervisor that only tablet from T-Mobile work for the 200MB plan.

Hmmm.. PhantomPreak, maybe print out some screen shots of the plan if you decide to go the store route again?

bbfpv said:
PP,

PP, that is just completely incorrect. Even their website says you can bring your own device from another carrier! Literally!
Tell the dummy on the phone to use the default IMEI. Reiterate that the Flytrex uses such little data each month that it would be ridiculous to pay for a 1GB data plan.

bbfpv said:
PP, that is just completely incorrect. Even their website says you can bring your own device from another carrier! Literally!
Tell the dummy on the phone to use the default IMEI. Reiterate that the Flytrex uses such little data each month that it would be ridiculous to pay for a 1GB data plan.
Tried that already with a few reps, no go. Do you have a link for the 200MB plan. I am not finding it. So far they havn't tried to up sell me on a plan, just trouble with IMEI.

bbfpv said:
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-internet -- about halfway down the page. and at the bottom is clearly states "bring your own device"

here's another one:
https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9700
Thanks, exactly what I needed. They couldn't even tell what devices were supported and it on the site.

Hey bbfpv, when I open up my flytrex app on my phone or tablet, it just says "no live view"

Left upper side of screen there are horizontal bars for "last seen"/sign out

Upper right side of screen is some kinda gear looking thingy that doesn't open?

bbfpv said:

Navman, you gotta do it on the Flytrex website. The app is just for the live view and last seen.

Update: got it!! didn't have flytrex fully registered yet, did it on pc :mrgreen:

Now moving on to H20 Arrrrgg...

Navman said:
Hey bbfpv, when I open up my flytrex app on my phone or tablet, it just says "no live view"

Left upper side of screen there are horizontal bars for "last seen"/sign out

Upper right side of screen is some kinda gear looking thingy that doesn't open?

bbfpv said:

Thank you Sir!!!

Printed out the info too!

bbfpv said:
Navman, you gotta do it on the Flytrex website. The app is just for the live view and last seen.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4