Flytrex for Phantom 4?

Reaction score
Hi all.
First timer here. I've done a lot of searching and lurking, but still have a question regarding trackers. I've settled on the Flytrex for tracking, but they don't make a kit for the Phantom 4 yet, and the Phantom 3 is different enough in the gimbal area that it can't easily be used. It seems trackers come down to 4 basic types:

2G based (like Trackimo, Drone Mods UAV Locator) - I've ruled this out, due to possible sunsetting of various 2G systems, but mostly because the coverage seems to be very spotty even in urban areas like mine (Los Angeles). I wish the coverage were better.

RF based (like Marco Polo) - Good idea in general as it's independent, but I'd like more range than 2 miles (line of sight!). It seems on a good flyaway your P4 could go a lot further than that!

3G based (Flytrex) - I'd like to get this one, as they're the *only* 3G based tracker I've found. The problem is that they do not yet make a kit for the P4. I contacted them and I essentially got "we'll do it when there's enough demand".

Various "Pet Beepers" - Cheap, but way to short ranged.

What can you suggest? I'd really appreciate your input. And go easy on me, I'm new here!

Thanks!
Paul

I talked to the people @ Flytrex when I first got my P4, They told me at the time that they were working on a P4 solution but it may be a few months until they release one. I told them I would certainly be interested as I love the 3gLive unit I have on my P3P and they told me they would add me to their "to be contacted list". I'm hoping this comes to fruition but I have also heard rumours that they are in financial difficulties so my fingers are crossed.

Follow up:
I purchased the Trackimo. There is absolutely no 2G reception in my area, and I'm in the middle of a very urban area (Culver City, CA). Maybe I'll try the Flytrex on the Phantom 4, and wire it to an external battery so I don't have to open it and void the warranty...

I was thinking the Marco Polo mostly because I fly in rural areas without cell coverage. Plus, as you found out with 2G when will 3G become part of the past? I'm interested to see how the Marco Polo works in mountainous treed areas, no that I want to lose my drone...

Anyone heard anything else from Flytrex about the Phantom4?
I wonder how hard it would be to adapt an older version to work? I have one for a PV3pro and PVplus,

I use Marco polo, but I need to do a long range test. The challenge for me is to remember to turn it on. Sleep mode lasts over three weeks so I'll leave it on when flying several days in a row. My flight areas often have no cellular coverage, so Marco polo is the only option.

Reactions: Skipholiday
I use Marco polo, but I need to do a long range test. The challenge for me is to remember to turn it on. Sleep mode lasts over three weeks so I'll leave it on when flying several days in a row. My flight areas often have no cellular coverage, so Marco polo is the only option.
Ive used Flytrex on all my drones to date. Even used the core on a Parrot. Nothing else compares to Flytrex in my opinion. You get live data instantly to your pc cell or tablet. Motor temps speed, altitude and exact location. Also can use with dashware to inlay information over videos.
Flytrex.PNG

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20