Flytrex device vs others

Reaction score
So I have a Flytrex for my P3. Works great, very happy with it. But to me, Flytrex does not have a GPS built-in; it uses the GPS of the drone. Which is of course great - in most circumstances. It's not so good when the P3 has no GPS reception or reports erroneous GPS positions. Or, when the P3 falls down and loses power in mid flight - yes, you could indeed suppose that the GPS position won't change, but someone could take the P3 and you wouldn't have any idea where it is. Or the Flytrex itself could malfunction and report no or erroneous positions.
Is this correct? So maybe it would be good to use a Flytrex AND/or a secondary device, such as RF-V16, Trackimo etc.

So I have a Flytrex for my P3. Works great, very happy with it. But to me, Flytrex does not have a GPS built-in; it uses the GPS of the drone. Which is of course great - in most circumstances. It's not so good when the P3 has no GPS reception or reports erroneous GPS positions. Or, when the P3 falls down and loses power in mid flight - yes, you could indeed suppose that the GPS position won't change, but someone could take the P3 and you wouldn't have any idea where it is. Or the Flytrex itself could malfunction and report no or erroneous positions.
Is this correct? So maybe it would be good to use a Flytrex AND/or a secondary device, such as RF-V16, Trackimo etc.

How did you get yours to work? I finally returned mine since nothing we tried could make it work. I might try again when local dealers get them. Dealing with Flytrex was not only unpleasant but time consuming. Hopefully by the time they ship to dealers it will be a fully tested, working product and not rely on the customers to do final testing of the product. I am worried about the long term survival of Flytrex. Meanwhile I have to rely on my Trackimo which is far less accurate than the Flytrex, well a working Flytrex.

I have two of the Live 3G in two of my P2's and so far they have worked great (fingers crossed). I expected the new one for my P3P to work. I guess I expected too much.

S
How did you get yours to work? I finally returned mine since nothing we tried could make it work. I might try again when local dealers get them. Dealing with Flytrex was not only unpleasant but time consuming. Hopefully by the time they ship to dealers it will be a fully tested, working product and not rely on the customers to do final testing of the product. I am worried about the long term survival of Flytrex. Meanwhile I have to rely on my Trackimo which is far less accurate than the Flytrex, well a working Flytrex.

I have two of the Live 3G in two of my P2's and so far they have worked great (fingers crossed). I expected the new one for my P3P to work. I guess I expected too much.
Can you elaborate about the lacking accuracy with trackimo? Why aren't you happy with it? How accurate is it?

The points that Fredz makes seem to me like deal breakers for Flytrex. I'd never use a tracking device that had to depend on GPS data from a separate source. That's pretty lame.

Can you elaborate about the lacking accuracy with trackimo? Why aren't you happy with it? How accurate is it?
The first problem with the Trackimo is that the fastest setting you can get it to report it's position is at 1 min intervals. And as compared to the accuracy vs my Flytrex P2 version it is not even close to what the Flytrex does. So far my Flytrex has been within 10 ft. of it's actual location. The Trackimo I have is at least three times that and sometimes when it is waiting for the one min to pass it goes miles off.

But on the down side of the Flytrex, we never were able to make the new one work on my P3P.

Due to the lack of support I have removed the Flytrex Live 3G Plus from my aircraft and the device now collects dust on the shelf with the two other Flytrex Live devices I have never taken the time to sell.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to ever not provide support for your products. A person would be foolish to even attempt to give an excuse. I never have liked the idea of dealing with a company that has no phone support and runs the entire operation by email which has it's issues. They have basically bailed out on the Live 3G Plus.

The first problem with the Trackimo is that the fastest setting you can get it to report it's position is at 1 min intervals. And as compared to the accuracy vs my Flytrex P2 version it is not even close to what the Flytrex does. So far my Flytrex has been within 10 ft. of it's actual location. The Trackimo I have is at least three times that and sometimes when it is waiting for the one min to pass it goes miles off.

But on the down side of the Flytrex, we never were able to make the new one work on my P3P.
I'm not sure why the one minute interval is a problem. Isn't the purpose of the device to find a lost craft that didn't make it home? Wouldn't it be stationary? Or do you need the ability to track it in motion for some reason?

I'm not sure why the one minute interval is a problem. Isn't the purpose of the device to find a lost craft that didn't make it home? Wouldn't it be stationary? Or do you need the ability to track it in motion for some reason?

Even if you use it to track a lost bird, 30ft or more error could make it pretty difficult finding it if the terrain has lots of trees, etc.
You asked why I don't like it as much as the Flytrex and those are the two objections I have. I also have an RF-V16 but I haven't used it much for the same reasons. Actually, I think I might like it better than the Trackimo because it is more so designed to strictly find a lost bird. You can call it from your phone to get the approximate coordinates. But it is more nerdy to setup and use. Also has a monthly service charge after first year like the Trackimo but it also requires a sim card like the Flytrex.

The Flytrex gives real time position along with other data that can be useful. Voltage, Temperature, Altitude and Speed in real time.

My Flytrex on the P3 still works great. Some carrier SIM cards just don't work, for no apparent reason, though probably because the APN is not in the Flytrex. Amit told us there would be an updated APN programmer a few weeks ago, but nothing ever materialized and he doesn't respond anymore. Still, it works fine, and I never had a problem with it during all those flights. The app is not great, but does the job, and the log files on the Flytrex website are good enough. Only a pity voltage and flight mode aren't there yet, but they should come (although Flytrex states a lot of things but you never know if that'll really happen).
And well, if the GPS fails on the P3, then I suppose the GPS fails on the Flytrex as well, since there is no GPS chip built-in, if I gathered correctly. So to be 100% sure, one should have a Flytrex and a Trackimo or RF-V16. I'm considering this, but it's a lot of extras which probably you will never need...
And anyway, when you buy with PayPal, you now have 180 days to file a complaint, so I suppose before 6 months some updates must appear!

Even if you use it to track a lost bird, 30ft or more error could make it pretty difficult finding it if the terrain has lots of trees, etc.
You asked why I don't like it as much as the Flytrex and those are the two objections I have. I also have an RF-V16 but I haven't used it much for the same reasons. Actually, I think I might like it better than the Trackimo because it is more so designed to strictly find a lost bird. You can call it from your phone to get the approximate coordinates. But it is more nerdy to setup and use. Also has a monthly service charge after first year like the Trackimo but it also requires a sim card like the Flytrex.

The Flytrex gives real time position along with other data that can be useful. Voltage, Temperature, Altitude and Speed in real time.

As a backup (so in addition to the Flytrex), I do prefer the RF-V16 as well. There is no monthly subscription due either, and it just works. And it can update position every 10 seconds.

Last edited:
I had a live 3G with my P2 last year and it worked fine with a simple cheap plan from h2owireless - US only. My Live 3G+ works fine with the P3P, same plan from h2owireless ($3/mo if you enable auto-recharge, otherwise $3.33).

I've used Trackimo for close to a year now and have had zero problems with it. Fortunately, I've not had to use it to find my P3P. However, whenever I have checked it, it has always been spot on accurate, or as accurate as GPS/Cellular can be. I bought it, due to a P2 flyaway and total loss. My replacement P2, which also had a flyaway, had a Trackimo which was recovered and saved my "bacon!" Was not about to fly my P3P "naked" just in case. I think I've become a more patient, smarter pilot in making sure I have plenty of sats before take off, let her settle it for a moment and then proceed with my sortie. I do believe the P3P is much more reliable and trustworthy. From my perspective, Trackimo is easy, accurate and extremely cost effective. I don't fly without it!

So anyone heard anything from Flytrex? Have had the device for months, waiting for "promised" updates. No new firmware to be seen, no "new" features such as flight mode or voltage... Can't believe their support is so weak, and they seem to be getting away with it as well. Still disappointed; it could have been so great.

My Flytrex works great on my P3P. App crashes sometimes though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Incredible there is no voltage or flight mode readings for the P3. The iOS app crashes 95% of the time I try to use Flight Radar (iPhone 5 and iPhone 6 and iOS 8 and 9). I only hear crickets from Flytrex support. I was (am?) a Flytrex Live fan -- the unit on my P2V+ works great but the data collected by the P3 Flytrex is redundant to the DJI logs. The location tracking feature is awesome, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers