Flytrex... Altitude...

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Is anyone else seeing very incorrect altitude readings from their Flytrex? As I'm gaining altitude from the ground, the Flytrex is reporting negative feet, as though I were going down. I've researched this all morning and I can't tell if the problem is with my Phantom's GPS, or compass, the Flytrex Core I just added, or Flytrex's algorithms... Everything else appears to be dead on.

-slinger

Reactions: dirkclod
gunslinger said:
Is anyone else seeing very incorrect altitude readings from their Flytrex? As I'm gaining altitude from the ground, the Flytrex is reporting negative feet, as though I were going down. I've researched this all morning and I can't tell if the problem is with my Phantom's GPS, or compass, the Flytrex Core I just added, or Flytrex's algorithms... Everything else appears to be dead on.

-slinger

Hi Slinger :)

Can you post a link to one of the missions with this issue? I'll review this more closely right away and see what I can find.

Thanks! :)

amitregev said:
gunslinger said:

-slinger

Can you post a link to one of the missions with this issue? I'll review this more closely right away and see what I can find.

Racking my brain on this today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWcGjGaHcGU

Thanks a bunch, Amit...

-slinger

gunslinger said:
amitregev said:
gunslinger said:

-slinger

Racking my brain on this today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWcGjGaHcGU

Thanks a bunch, Amit...

-slinger

Can you post the link to the Flytrex mission page? :/ I'd like to see if the problem is with the actual data captured or somewhere along the export process and implementation with Dashware. :)

Amit:

I went through the CSV file I exported from the mission and it appears to be coming directly from the FlyTrex data. Everything else is working perfectly. It's just the altitude.

-slinger

gunslinger said:
Amit:

I went through the CSV file I exported from the mission and it appears to be coming directly from the FlyTrex data. Everything else is working perfectly. It's just the altitude.

-slinger

Thanks for the follow-up and details! :) Indeed it seems there is some problem with altitude reporting with your account on Flytrex. I will investigate this more closely in the next 2-3 days and follow-up with you on this shortly.

I promise to be back with a follow-up shortly. :) Most chances we'll be able to fix the altitude reading for your existing missions already, but I still can't tell for sure before I review this more closely.

Sorry for the trouble with this!

amitregev said:
gunslinger said:
Amit:

-slinger

Thanks for the follow-up and details! :) Indeed it seems there is some problem with altitude reporting with your account on Flytrex. I will investigate this more closely in the next 2-3 days and follow-up with you on this shortly.

I promise to be back with a follow-up shortly. :) Most chances we'll be able to fix the altitude reading for your existing missions already, but I still can't tell for sure before I review this more closely.

Sorry for the trouble with this!

Thanks for your prompt response. No worries. I learned a lot more about your product and Dashware while I was working through this today. Got me up the learning curve a lot quicker. :D

Thanks again...
-slinger

Nvr2fst said:
Cjrt546 said:
I was hoping you'd break your leg, like Anderson silva

If nothing else you are persistent.
like a hungry piranha.

He's no longer persistent. He was, for obvious reasons, booted... It's a sad fact that nearly every forum has its share of trolls.

-slinger

I just had a look at the video. It looks like the altitude data is "delayed". . .

Amit, just for curiosity, what would happen if the barometer holes were covered a little too tightly by the foam and HeatShrink? Could it retain different pressure and cause that issue?

I was seeing the same thing (negative altitude logged) with the flytrex in my original Phantom (v1.2), but I haven't gone back to investigate/troubleshoot yet. Amit had offered to help me, but that was a few weeks ago and I haven't had a chance to mess with it again since. I'm curious to see if the fix works for gunslinger.

Just wanted to post a quick update that I'm following on this issue with gunslinger via email at the moment - I hope to post back an update in the next couple of days.

@Driffill - I actually suspect that what you mentioned might indeed be the cause for this. I'm suspecting that the foam might have been a bit too tightly placed on top of the barometer and therefore we're getting faulty readings. I'm going to check this more closely with gunslinger in the next day or two and I'll post back a follow-up with the results we're getting.

Thanks guys for the feedback and help investigate this one! :)

amitregev said:
Just wanted to post a quick update that I'm following on this issue with gunslinger via email at the moment - I hope to post back an update in the next couple of days.

@Driffill - I actually suspect that what you mentioned might indeed be the cause for this. I'm suspecting that the foam might have been a bit too tightly placed on top of the barometer and therefore we're getting faulty readings. I'm going to check this more closely with gunslinger in the next day or two and I'll post back a follow-up with the results we're getting.

The weather here has been lousy for the past month, but I was able to get the P2V back in the air today... Finally... Amit had asked me to cut through part of the shrink wrap that surrounds the FlyTrex core and remove a sponge that was situated on top of the barometer. He thought the sponge was packed too tightly over the barometer and not allowing it to work properly.

Works perfectly now. I just wrapped some translucent tape over the cut in the wrap and we're good to go. Amit has since changed the design of the FlyTrex core slightly in order to avoid this in future.

Great tech support from Flytrex, per always.

gunslinger said:
amitregev said:

The weather here has been lousy for the past month, but I was able to get the P2V back in the air today... Finally... Amit had asked me to cut through part of the shrink wrap that surrounds the FlyTrex core and remove a sponge that was situated on top of the barometer. He thought the sponge was packed too tightly over the barometer and not allowing it to work properly.

Works perfectly now. I just wrapped some translucent tape over the cut in the wrap and we're good to go. Amit has since changed the design of the FlyTrex core slightly in order to avoid this in future.

Great tech support from Flytrex, per always.

That little black one on the edge, near the memory card slot?

If that's it, I'll do the surgery and post some pics.

That little black one on the edge, near the memory card slot?
If that's it, I'll do the surgery and post some pics.

That's the one, sir... :)

Part of it will be stuck onto the shrink wrap, but don't bother trying to get it totally clean. Once the lion's share of the sponge is removed it will allow the barometer to do its thing...

-slinger

Easy-peasy.

myabiQ3l.jpg

PK5vKlMl.jpg

qs62fhBl.jpg

JMRzH1hl.jpg

qwcGCYTl.jpg

sy2CnDdl.jpg

pGavWPgl.jpg

I must've gotten one of the later ones, now there's a plastic or metal clip that makes a A-frame style tent over the Baro Sensor and spaces the shrink from sealing the pressure port. Edit: I just noticed the same clip in your pic OI Photography, I'm guessing it still serves the same purpose... as a spacer to prevent the shrink from sealing the sensor, but as Amit found and Slinger confirmed its the foam that's sealing the port, so it must be cut or removed if present & the Alt is reading off.

Love this gizmo, this & DashWare. Nicely done Flytrex!

iDrone :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 430
iDrone said:
I must've gotten one of the later ones, now there's a plastic or metal clip that makes a A-frame style tent over the Baro Sensor and spaces the shrink from sealing the pressure port. Edit: I just noticed the same clip in your pic OI Photography, I'm guessing it still serves the same purpose... as a spacer to prevent the shrink from sealing the sensor, but as Amit found and Slinger confirmed its the foam that's sealing the port, so it must be cut or removed if present & the Alt is reading off.

Love this gizmo, this & DashWare. Nicely done Flytrex!

iDrone :D

I thought you'd appreciate that thing. :D And if you ever need tech support, which isn't all that likely, Amit is the best...

Anybody who's thinking about picking up a FlyTrex core... Stop thinking!!! Just do it!!! You won't be sorry. I really enjoyed my P2V before, but this adds an entirely new dimension.

-slinger

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav