flying without 4g Lte on device. What happens?

Reaction score
Does anyone know what happens when you try to fly with a device that does not have a sim card in it? Only wi-fi enabled in a no wi-fi zone?

It will work ok except you won't get the map freshened.

I am new to this and was wondering the same thing as I search for a tablet to use instead of my cell phone. Do I understand correctly that you also would not be able to use the Follow Me feature if you have a device that does not have a cell connection, since I believe you need to have a cell data connection to get GPS functionality?

Follow me works as long as the device has a standalone GPS.

I am new to this and was wondering the same thing as I search for a tablet to use instead of my cell phone. Do I understand correctly that you also would not be able to use the Follow Me feature if you have a device that does not have a cell connection, since I believe you need to have a cell data connection to get GPS functionality?

Yes, and just to make it clear, this is for Apple products, you don't need the cellular function activated (ie, no SIM) to use the GPS. It is just that iPads don't come with GPS unless they are cellular capable. Android tablets often (? always) do.

Ok, I am mainly looking into Android devices, I am not against Apple but I have not been in the Apple eco-system for quite some time.

I have a Galaxy tab 4 that is cell capable. I don't have a sim card for it yet. Will it still work?

IOS (Apple) devices have GPS only if they include cellular, while all modern Android tablets include GPS whether or not they have cellular. If I've forgotten to cache maps in advance, I turn on the wifi hotspot feature in my phone so my wifi-only tablet can load the maps using the phone's data connection.

I am happy with a Google Nexus 7 2013 that I already owned, and you can still buy them at great prices, occasionally as low as $100. I think the most popular new Android tablet, on this board at least, is the Nvidia Shield K1. It has a lots processing power and goes for $200 or less.

Thanks, I think that answered my next question. If I use a WiFi only Android tablet I would need to either cache the map for the area I am going or tether to phone to get the data? Otherwise if I use a Android tablet with cellular connection I would be able to get updated map data on the fly?

Correct. As long as your data plan offers tethering I would just get Wi-Fi as it will save you on initial purchase and the cost of a separate data plan for the tablet.

Thanks, I think that answered my next question. If I use a WiFi only Android tablet I would need to either cache the map for the area I am going or tether to phone to get the data? Otherwise if I use a Android tablet with cellular connection I would be able to get updated map data on the fly?

I suppose that with the imminent arrival of Geo, you might also use a data connection on your tablet to get up to date flight restrictions and to override them if desired.

Note that T-Mobile offers a "free data for life" 200MB per month service for tablets (not phones). That would be more than enough to download maps for most of us.
You do have to buy a SIM card for $10 or $15, and of course, it only works where T-Mobile has coverage. They're excellent in urban areas, but often not as good in the country.

After some research I think I have decided on the Nvidia Shield K1 based on the specs and price point. I think if I need a cell connection for maps on site (if I forget to cache the maps first) or need to get up to date flight restrictions I can use my cell phone to get the info.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic