Flying with phone

S

sandman259

So I took my phantom to work today to do a fly over of our plant. I forgot my iPad mini at home so I just used my phone...ugh..hated it. Couldn't see anything. Maybe I'm just old but I could barley make out anything on my iPhone 7. I mean it was clear and all, just super small compared to using my iPad mini like I've been doing. The video turned out horrible too cause I had to stop and look at mine screen squinting my eyes to see where I was at. That's the one thing that's a bummer about the mavic having to use your phone. I know people will be making holders that will hold a tablet but I think it's going to be a bit cumbersome and ridiculous looking with that big thing below the controller, not to mention it would kind of defeat the whole portability factor. Who knows maybe I would get used to it...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited by a moderator:
So I took my phantom to work today to do a fly over of our plant. I forgot my iPad mini at home so I just used my phone...ugh..hated it. Couldn't see anything. Maybe I'm just old but I could barley make out anything on my iPhone 7. I mean it was clear and all, just super small compared to using my iPad mini like I've been doing. The video turned out horrible too cause I had to stop and look at mine screen squinting my eyes to see where I was at. That's the one thing that's a bummer about the mavic having to use your phone. I know people will be making holders that will hold a tablet but I think it's going to be a bit cumbersome and ridiculous looking with that big thing below the controller, not to mention it would kind of defeat the whole portability factory. Who knows maybe I would get used to it...

Never thought about that, another reason the Phantom is the best drone out there!

Reactions: len750
You can fly the Mavic with a tablet over WiFi. Don't know how well that works though - not much info available on flying over WiFi.

That's the one thing that's a bummer about the mavic having to use your phone. I know people will be making holders that will hold a tablet but I think it's going to be a bit cumbersome and ridiculous looking with that big thing below the controller, not to mention it would kind of defeat the whole portability factor. Who knows maybe I would get used to it...

Watch this video. There's a way to use a tablet now.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Ya I guess that would work, but seems like it would be awkward having a tablet below the controller, having to lift the controller up to see it. And still defeats the purpose of having it portable bringing a tablet along. I guess if I get a mavic I'll just force myself to get use to using my phone so I can keep the portability alive, and only use a tablet when I'm flying my phantom...

A couple of years back, I used an iPhone 4s for my Parrot AR2 and phantom FC40 and didn't give it much thought. Now I fly a p3p with an iPad mini or with goggles(preferred), and wonder how I could have enjoyed flying with something that small.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

It really does suck using your phone after u start using a iPad. The mavic is so cool I guess I'll just have to accept it that way and use my phone when I take it with me so I can keep it simple and when I want to do something important that I want to look good I'll use my phantom with my iPad or put the iPad on the mavic for that rare occasion...

seems like it would be awkward having a tablet below the controller
I tried it and found it to be awkward since the tablet is wider than the remote controller. Comfort-wise, I prefer to fly with my iPhone 7. Others think flying with a tablet is comfortable though. So, perhaps it'll work out for you too :)

I tried it and found it to be awkward since the tablet is wider than the remote controller. Comfort-wise, I prefer to fly with my iPhone 7. Others think flying with a tablet is comfortable though. So, perhaps it'll work out for you too :)

Are you talking about a Mavic or Phantom that your using a iPhone 7 on?

My Mavic. I usually use an iPad Mini 4 when flying Phantoms.

Oh you have yours already? Lucky guy...So how do you like it? Do you find taping on the screen to focus annoying?

So far, so good. I don't find the tap to focus annoying at all. It's just something extra that needs to be done at the beginning of each flight. If I could change one thing, I wish the remote controller holder was thicker so it could hold a phone in a case.

So far, so good. I don't find the tap to focus annoying at all. It's just something extra that needs to be done at the beginning of each flight. If I could change one thing, I wish the remote controller holder was thicker so it could hold a phone in a case.

So you only have to tap on the screen at the beginning of the flight? I thought you had to constantly tap on the screen to focus as you fly? Wouldn't things change as you fly cause your moving and looking around at stuff so it would be at different distances? The phone case doesn't bother me cause I take the case off my iPad when I fly too cause they tend to get warm when using them so I think running phone/tablet without a case is a good idea to keep it running cool...

So you only have to tap on the screen at the beginning of the flight?
Yes -- if you're setting the camera to infinity focus. That's the equivalent to what the P3 camera is set to.

Nope. It's actually better since you have more flexibility.

Ya that's basically for indoor flight with very limited range. Useless for most of us...

I'm not writing off flying the Mavic with wifi and phone/tablet yet. I fly a Bebop out to the limit of my vision with no loss of video or RC control using a small range extender and tablet with a gamepad. The primary issue is how much lag you get flying Mavic with wifi/tablet. The Bebop video is surprising good - the response I get feels about the same as my P3P (around 200 ms).

The primary reason I am interested in the wifi/phone method is so I can support a connection to my Cinemizers for FPV fun. Unfortunately DJI does not support HDMI output on The Mavic RC controller.

My Mavic. I usually use an iPad Mini 4 when flying Phantoms.
Have you tried flying the Mavic with WiFi and phone/tablet? I'm interested in the lag time for video display and RC control.

No. This guy did though:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers