Flying Weird in Cold Weather

Reaction score
Cold as in -20 to 20 degrees Fahrenheit. I know the operation settings are for -10 to 50 Celsius. We haven't had a warm day up north here since October, and wont for another month :( , itching to fly but my Phantom 2 literally flipped out on me the other day. Lights all stopped flashing and it seemed like all gain settings went through the roof - on super manual mode. Lucky it landed in the snow. So I guess no more cold weather flying for me. Anyone else experience this?

That doesn't sound like it is caused from cold weather. I have flown mine in -15ºF to 10ºF quite a bit, even at -5ºF in the rain. Cold definitely takes its toll on batteries and it will make all the plastic and boards break easier, so I wouldn't recommend hard or heavy flying in extreme cold, but your problem doesn't sound like it was caused from just being cold. Possibly condensation inside the Phantom or Tx from the temperature difference?

neil64 said:
That doesn't sound like it is caused from cold weather. I have flown mine in -15ºF to 10ºF quite a bit, even at -5ºF in the rain. Cold definitely takes its toll on batteries and it will make all the plastic and boards break easier, so I wouldn't recommend hard or heavy flying in extreme cold, but your problem doesn't sound like it was caused from just being cold. Possibly condensation inside the Phantom or Tx from the temperature difference?

Yeah, I think you could be right, maybe it was condensation inside the Phantom.

The few times I've flown in the cold it's been around 5-15 degrees F and haven't had any issues other than shorter battery life.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20