Flying V2+ inside a large building?

Reaction score
Had a request from a client to fly inside a warehouse - 30-40' ceilings (Yikes)
Told him no way - but after I thought about it - is there a safe way to do this?

Currently hv over 85 flts (only 3 crashes in the beginning due to prop guards) so comfort level with the bird is growing.

Thoughts?

I would not do it. Tried it in our gymnasium 30' tall and in Atti mode it just keeps moving the same way and the only thing to stop it is thrust in the opposite direction. Extremely light movements is the only way to get it done IMO. You will be so stressed to fly it, you will not be able to pay attention to the video. Remember objects in motion tend to stay in motion until acted upon by an outside force. Those suckers drift and drift until BAM! you hit the wall.

I flew mine inside the warehouse once. 25,000 square feet, 35' ceiling, mostly open above 12'. Heed Bountyhunter's advice on being vigilent. You do have to be careful and slow, smooth, and steady on the sticks.

clipshot62 said:
Had a request from a client to fly inside a warehouse - 30-40' ceilings (Yikes)
Told him no way - but after I thought about it - is there a safe way to do this?

Currently hv over 85 flts (only 3 crashes in the beginning due to prop guards) so comfort level with the bird is growing.

Thoughts?

Before considering it, I suggest you try flying in ATTI mode in an open space. You need to practice the extra smooth movements and always expect the drift. Try to perform some tight maneuvers as if there were obstacles or you wanted to stop and take a photo while in ATTI mode. Height isn't much of an issue, 30' is plenty.

I've flown a few times in (my) warehouses (and my apartment) for practice. It's pretty challenging for me and I wouldn't do it for a client. Then again, I've seen my DJI dealer test fly mine inside his cramped store and for him it was as easy as a walk in the park.

Watch out for suction into the walls, due to Venturi. Once you're copter gets drawn in, there's no escape, it will flip and slide all the way down. Ceilings also tend to have a suction effect when you get too close. Keep your distance. And extend your sticks to give you a lighter touch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic