Flying to raise money for charity

Reaction score
I would like to openup a discussion if anyone had any thoughts or insights into flying a P2 for what can be described as 'aerial work' where no money or personal gain is made except for a consideration for a donation to be made to a nominated charity in return for footage. For hypothetical purposes lets consider the type of work undertaken would otherwise be classified as 'commercial' type work by its nature.

I'm not sure if this document below is even relavent but obviously aerial work does have implications in the legality of flying the likes of a P2 with GoPro for "valuable consideration"

I found this in the CAA document from the Secretary & Legal Adviser’s Office – May 2010

SUMMARY OF THE MEANING OF COMMERCIAL AIR TRANSPORT, PUBLIC
TRANSPORT AND AERIAL WORK "
Exception No 2 - Charity flights (Article 266)
6.2.1 A flight will be a private flight for all purposes
if the only payment is to a registered charity
which is not the operator of the aircraft and the flight is made with the permission in writing of
the CAA. A general permission has been issued in an Aeronautical Information Circular
(70/2008 (White 153) Charity Flights) so that pilots do not have to approach the CAA each
time, provided the flight will be conducted in accordance with the operating conditions set out
in the annexes to the AIC.

Thoughts anyone?

I think that as long as you don't use this photo/video work to promote yourself or your company, it looks like you can do it without permission.

sergekouper said:
I think that as long as you don't use this photo/video work to promote yourself or your company, it looks like you can do it without permission.
Thanks for the reply to my post of over a year ago. Its amazing how fast things go in a year. I am now in the middle of the BNUC-S process!

IrishSights said:
sergekouper said:
Thanks for the reply to my post of over a year ago. Its amazing how fast things go in a year. I am now in the middle of the BNUC-S process!
1Year? Wah... :D I didn't see that... How the BNUC-S is going? I've taken the RPQ's path. I liked the online training, Done a lot of research by myself as well to go a bit deeper in the tuition. Have you had the Ground Course yet?

sergekouper said:
IrishSights said:
sergekouper said:
1Year? Wah... :D I didn't see that... How the BNUC-S is going? I've taken the RPQ's path. I liked the online training, Done a lot of research by myself as well to go a bit deeper in the tuition. Have you had the Ground Course yet?
Yes, did it last week, just waiting to hear exam results. Also got an opportunity to be an Observer for a few folks at a mornings worth of flight tests for Skyjib Hero, Phantom 2, Inspire, a custom hex, Discovery and a fixed wing. At least I now know first hand whats involved, actually it put my mind at ease. Ground School was intensive but OK. Multiple choice for me was easier to cope with too. Not done exams for more than a few decades!

Great! Always interesting to see how others work... RPQ's was quite intensive as well, specially the day before the exam, but finally everything went ok. We had the exam in the morning, and got the results in the evening, just before leaving. Difficult to concentrate the rest of the day when the only thing you want to know is if you passed or not! :) Good luck for the rest of the process!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik