Flying through a covered bridge?

Reaction score
I hovered and flew a Blade Chroma several feet inside this bridge a couple of months ago. But I'm wanting to do it with my new ph4. This bridge is prob at least 300 ft long and looks really cool on the inside too. I am a longtime RC flyer and this will be no prob at all from a flying skill standpoint. But I'm just wondering if I should turn off collision avoidance for this? Would like it to hold altitude steady while moving forward too if possible. Any help of flight settings much appreciated.

What bridge? We don't know any details such as the height and width of the bridge or its construction overhead (for GPS signal). Got a photo?
That said.... A bridge or tunnel should be a piece of cake for the P4. The collision avoidance and ground sensing will only keep the flight steady and true. I would be careful of any possibility for high voltage lines or other possible EM interference. In the event losing GPS is possible, watch and avoid the RTH function to avoid the craft from hitting the ceiling/roof. Other than those details, go for it... and post video, of course.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
The park & rec people just refinished a covered bridge at a park not far from here. At the time the only DJI I had was a fc40 and it work fine for both interior and exterior views. I'd think it would be a breeze to do it with the P4.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

What bridge? We don't know any details such as the height and width of the bridge or its construction overhead (for GPS signal). Got a photo?
That said.... A bridge or tunnel should be a piece of cake for the P4. The collision avoidance and ground sensing will only keep the flight steady and true. I would be careful of any possibility for high voltage lines or other possible EM interference. In the event losing GPS is possible, watch and avoid the RTH function to avoid the craft from hitting the ceiling/roof. Other than those details, go for it... and post video, of course.
Sweet! My main concern was collision avoidance getting a little confused by the close sides. It's also kind of darker in middle of bridge too. Really appreciate the help!!

Be careful to return to home feature. If loses signal and gets activated, then it will climb and might hit ceiling.
Share your shots:)

Set the RTH to hover upon signal loss to prevent sudden RTH ascending.
Very good idea John! In case I got a radio control glitch inside the bridge. It has a metal roof. But mostly all wood. Dang I really appreciate the super fast help!

Almost tempted to go through this bridge, but my perspective was I flying real close to the rock when I was not. Also later in the video the ph4 was dropping for no reason. Scared me.

I was flying over "the Domes" outside of Casa Grande Arizona the other day. I was skimming the roof and went over one of the holes in the ceiling and then dropped right in... It spooked me at first as I couldn't see up and I was afraid I was going to loose signal through the walls, I just hovered there for a few seconds and then I saw one of the doors not too far away and flew right back out again. I was about 150m away and was really surprised I didn't loose signal through the concrete walls... Anyway, I am really looking forward to flying through other structures now and a covered bridge sound like it would be a way cool feature to film with your P4, I would leave the sensors on and as mentioned above, set to hover in case of signal loss. Good luck with the flight KevMo photog!

I was flying over "the Domes" outside of Casa Grande Arizona the other day. I was skimming the roof and went over one of the holes in the ceiling and then dropped right in... It spooked me at first as I couldn't see up and I was afraid I was going to loose signal through the walls, I just hovered there for a few seconds and then I saw one of the doors not too far away and flew right back out again. I was about 150m away and was really surprised I didn't loose signal through the concrete walls... Anyway, I am really looking forward to flying through other structures now and a covered bridge sound like it would be a way cool feature to film with your P4, I would leave the sensors on and as mentioned above, set to hover in case of signal loss. Good luck with the flight KevMo photog!
I've never seen the Domes before. Used to travel from Michigan to Casa Grande each winter with my groups flying gear for the Powered Paraglider event. Really miss flying your neck of the woods,desert so to speak. Flying over Flat Top Mountain was always the kicker....
7598547c5fb0b093d2abe4bb72e90b1e.jpg

Almost tempted to go through this bridge, but my perspective was I flying real close to the rock when I was not. Also later in the video the ph4 was dropping for no reason. Scared me.

Beautiful shoot!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik