Flying the DJI Standard

Reaction score
Hey Guys.. I just got a DJI Phantom 3 Standard, and have never flown it..Do i need an Iphone, to fly this drone, or can I fly without it?..I have an Iphone Apple 5s, but I have no idea, about wifi, or how to even begin to use it, with this drone...Will the drone fly without the Iphone, and will the camera, work?..Thanks for any, and all information.~

Hey Guys.. I just got a DJI Phantom 3 Standard, and have never flown it..Do i need an Iphone, to fly this drone, or can I fly without it?..I have an Iphone Apple 5s, but I have no idea, about wifi, or how to even begin to use it, with this drone...Will the drone fly without the Iphone, and will the camera, work?..Thanks for any, and all information.~
ALthough it is technically possible to fly without a screen, it would be like driving your car with the windscreen and instruments blacked out.
If you haven't already found it, your manual is here: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3_standard/20170623/Phantom+3+Standard+User+Manual+v1.4.pdf
That would be a good place to start

Reactions: Pharm and sajindra
Hi did you buy new ? Did it come with quite start guide ? As @Meta4 say you really need to have a read,don't take long but it will explain all to you , for your own safety aswell,blades pretty quick and hurt,or someone get hurt,yes can fly without device like posted above but you can't set no rth safety feature or anything,without dji app you will have flight restrictions,height and distance,it's a free download for the online manual,,:)

Will the camera film video, without the Iphone?..How do I turn on the video, for the camera, manually?...
Without a screen, you would have no way to see what the camera sees and no way to control it.
You would also miss out on some important things like speed, height, distance, battery level, error messages and all your settings.
Yes, you can technically fly without the screen - but that's more like something you can rely on to get you home if you ever lost the screen or the app rather than something you'd do for fun.

As Meta4 said, before you even turn on the aircraft. You need to read the manual and get familiar with the aircraft features. Then I will suggest if you can buy an affordable 7 inch Android tablet with marshmallow or nougat installed. Your iPhone 5s is too small to see the screen well. I bought a 7inch tablet with marshmallow exclusive for my standard when I got the aircraft a year ago.

My understanding is you need to have a screen to connect with DJI and do the very first initial sign on with your new P3S. Once that's completed, you can fly without a screen in the future, if you wish. It would be kind of silly unless you're just doing it on the first few flights so as to teach yourself how to fly without the distraction.

Here's a course you can take where the screen will serve no purpose: http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom-2-vision/en/Phantom_2_Vision_Pilot_Training_Guide_en.pdf

If you want a screen, you don't need an iPhone. And you don't need the internet either. All you need is some kind of wifi device such as a tablet.

There are a lot of YouTube video tutorials on getting started with the P3S that will answer a lot of your questions and help you get on the right track...

You wont be able to fly it until it has been registered with DJI thru the go app on a phone or tablet.

Do i need an Iphone, to fly this drone, or can I fly without it?..I have an Iphone Apple 5s
You can install DJI GO on an iPhone 5s. If you want to get a larger mobile device, you can find a list of devices that are known to work well here.

Reactions: Pharm
I fly mine with an iPad Mini 2 most of the time but on occasion I use my iPhone 5s and it works fine. Read the manual (as posted above). Also the Quick Start Guide that came with it explains how to connect to your phone. You can download the DJI Go app from the App Store (it’s free).

Good Morning from JAX florida
you will need to have a mobile device to update your firmware. I messed with a iPhone 5S and an Android , both worked. The Android dropped WiFi connection to the P3S while only 10 feet away. (The was other WiFi sources around). So the iPhone 5S is now my flight monitor.

Remember to put the phone in airplane mode (no pun) to prevent incoming calls.

USE EXTREME CARE buying a mobile deice from friends , craigslist, and ebay. Do to high rate of stolen deves being sold this way. I suggest buying a 30-50$ gophone from walmart.

The P3S connects to the controller through the WiFI so it must have Wifi. (most smart phones do now)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20