Flying over water

Reaction score
I've been reading a few horror stories about folks losing their P-3s,/P-4s while flying over water. I'm now too paranoid to do that. However, I thought of this idea. Why not attach a thin, long, nylon cord to the drone, perhaps 100 feet in length or so, just in case. I don't know if the drone could recover it's functionality after drying out, but maybe. I once dropped a cell phone into water, and it worked fine after drying out as long as I didn't power it up while drying. Any thoughts on this idea?

I've been reading a few horror stories about folks losing their P-3s,/P-4s while flying over water. I'm now too paranoid to do that. However, I thought of this idea. Why not attach a thin, long, nylon cord to the drone, perhaps 100 feet in length or so, just in case. I don't know if the drone could recover it's functionality after drying out, but maybe. I once dropped a cell phone into water, and it worked fine after drying out as long as I didn't power it up while drying. Any thoughts on this idea?
Why don't you attach a floating skid instead?

Enviado de meu XT1225 usando Tapatalk

I learned to fly over a forest. I figured if it went down I wasn't getting it back.
Now I fly over water. I don't see any difference. It's gone either way.

Drop these things onto a hard surface from almost any height and you get parts back. But you still need a new one.

Crashing is not an option.

I posted a few weeks back about losing my P3A in our local lake. I've since replaced with a P3P, and will continue to fly over the lake, however I have started attaching the "getterback" system. Google it. A little canister the size of a small c02 bottle attaches to the leg and once it hits water, it activates and pops off 100 feet of monofilament (fishing line) with a floaty on top. Use that to pull your drone up. Looks like people have had success using it, I just I don't ever want to have to test it.

Last edited:
The thrill of flying over water is hard to get until you do it. Flew mine off the cliffs of Sydney Australia out about a half of mile into the ocean trying to get to some whales I saw in the distance. When I got it back the surge of adrenaline was incredible. But having said that I have seriously thought about taking goggles and fins when I fly over water. Would probably be a good thing to do. I like the idea of that getterback. May have to look into that.

The thrill of flying over water is hard to get until you do it. Flew mine off the cliffs of Sydney Australia out about a half of mile into the ocean trying to get to some whales I saw in the distance. When I got it back the surge of adrenaline was incredible. But having said that I have seriously thought about taking goggles and fins when I fly over water. Would probably be a good thing to do. I like the idea of that getterback. May have to look into that.

There is a definite thrill to flying out over water to video something.

I just flew my P3P about 2 miles off Edisto Beach over the ocean in SC.

Keep VPS definitely off when flying low over waters. Also GetterBack system is a good way to recover lost in case that happens.

Just as many horror stories (or more) re crashing over land. Major difference is chances are greatly reduced of recovering the AC if lost over water. Esp if to the sea. Arguing warranty or insurance claims can put you in a diminished position (AC dat file and evidence of loss respectively).

Keep VPS definitely off when flying low over waters. Also GetterBack system is a good way to recover lost in case that happens.
I thought vps was only effective at heights of about 10ft and under? So therefore if you are higher it matters not?

Forums are full of "horror stories" but they don't represent the normal experience of the majority of flyers and in many caases are due to operator error.
Your Phantom doesn't know what is below it and it flies over water at least as well as over land.
Dangling a long string isn't going to be a wise thing to do.
Get over the psychological issue and fly free.
Over water is actually a safer environment for flying.
No interference, nothing to hit and no damage done to anything you could fall on.
DJI_0976a-X2.jpg

I fly mine over water most of the time. It shouldn't make a difference where you fly as long as you monitor both your environment, battery levels (% and voltage), distance and any obstacles and fly safe. If you go too far without proper battery levels, then you do risk losing it. I did have a crash before, but it was entirely my fault and it was against a street light (and I wasn't flying over water)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I posted a few weeks back about losing my P3A in our local lake. I've since replaced with a P3P, and will continue to fly over the lake, however I have started attaching the "getterback" system. Google it. A little canister the size of a small c02 bottle attaches to the leg and once it hits water, it activates and pops off 100 feet of monofilament (fishing line) with a floaty on top. Use that to pull your drone up. Looks like people have had success using it, I just I don't ever want to have to test it.
Thanks! I will look into that!

I thought vps was only effective at heights of about 10ft and under? So therefore if you are higher it matters not?
You are right but I thought you are flying low on waters. In fact I feel safer to fly over waters as less chances of flying over some one and good line of sight

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj