Flying over water

Reaction score
Ok....Not new to flying. I fly Heli's and Planes . I bought my P3P about 3 months ago. I'm not crazy about losing my phantom over water but will be going to Florida in a few weeks and would love to get some good early morning shoreline video. I know there's issues with Sonar affecting the drones ability to recognize surfaces over water. So as I understand it, you turn that feature off? My biggest question is when I do turn it off will GPS still hold it steady or is it pretty much manual flying. I guess I'm not sure what to expect . Havnt done it yet ,but really want to lose that fear. I have no problems flying manual . Just unsure how the P3 will react..I have a boat in a marina on Lake Michigan. Would love to get some photography cruising with friends. Any help greatly appreciated!

Fkying over water is awesome, excellent signal, nothing to crash into and great fun.

VpS off, strong battery with recent full charge, make sure your failsafe is RTH and go for it.

There are a lot of threads already here, search and have a read.

Awesome! Thank u for fast response . So I only have one question though still standing. Will it not self hoover anymore? Or does it still act the same pretty much?

If it has GPS lock, it can hover on its own with VPS off.

In P-GPS it will still hover without VPS, less stable in Atti. Search for VPS also. Above 6-8', our quad does not use VPS. Avoid hovering or flying nearer than a couple of feet above water.

Ok sounds great! Thank you all very much for the good advise. I usually fly 250ft and play by the rules . Should be getting my quad back this weekend. Had to be sent out. Knocked my camera into a corner table in my house and cracked UV lense . Everything was ok for a few more flights then the camera stopped recording . (400.00 later) I'll be glad to have it back and flying again real soon. I've read many posts on here. Alokbhargava I've read many of yours helping others which intern helped me. Thank you. Be Safe flying everyone!

I fly low over water all the time with VPS on. Haven't had any issues at all. Sonar seems to work fine, while I don't think the camera is useful for maintaining a hover, as the manual implies. In any case I don't know why others are so adamant about turning it off. I think the sonar is better for maintaining altitude low over the water than relying on a barometer that is effected by changing weather.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I fly low over water all the time with VPS on. Haven't had any issues at all. Sonar seems to work fine, while I don't think the camera is useful for maintaining a hover, as the manual implies. In any case I don't know why others are so adamant about turning it off. I think the sonar is better for maintaining altitude low over the water than relying on a barometer that is effected by changing weather.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
If the VPS camera interprets moving water as being horizontal displacement in contrast to what the IMU and GPS thinks the attitude and movement of the phantom is it may have unpredictable consequences. Certain of the crash threads here suggest the VPS to be a factor in over water misshaps.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31